RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

swidmann

Sep 5, 2007, 5:55 PM
Post #1 of 22 (11209 views)
Shortcut

climbing and playing piano
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I don't suppose there is anyone who both climbs and plays piano seriously? I used to climb often but stopped a couple of years ago. In the meantime I have returned to playing piano. I still would love to get back to climbing but think that it can't be good for anyone seriously into playing the piano - what with all the muscle that developes in the forearms of climbers. Are there any informed opinions out there?

Thanks,

Sebastin

(This post was edited by swidmann on Sep 5, 2007, 6:00 PM)

Partner epoch

Sep 5, 2007, 6:06 PM
Post #2 of 22 (11192 views)
Shortcut

Re: [swidmann] climbing and playing piano [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

swidmann wrote:
I don't suppose there is anyone out there who both climbs and plays piano seriously? I used to climb often but stopped a couple of years ago. The the meantime I have returned to playing piano. I still would love to get back to climbing but the thing that it can't be good for anyone seriously into playing the piano - what with all the muscle that developes in the forearms of strong climbers. Are there any informed opinions out there?

Thanks,

Sebastin

Buahahahahaha.

Seriously?

Climbing has really hurt my ability to type well. The whole gripping stuff with my fingers has impaired my ability to type with speed and accuracy. T-2. I mean, once I was able to type 88 words per minute, but because of my outrageously bulging forearms I can now only point and peck.

musicman1586

Sep 5, 2007, 6:21 PM
Post #3 of 22 (11175 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] climbing and playing piano [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I'm guessing this is a troll, but if for whatever reason it is not than I can assure you that if you don't over do it, you will feel no adverse affects when playing piano. When I first started climbing I would push myself too hard and hurt my fingers a few times (nothing serious, but had to take a day or two off) and during those times it was hard to play piano, however since then I've come to be very careful about how I push myself (less burns a day on projects, etc.) I climb 4-5 days a week (work in a climbing gym) and still have had no serious injuries or impairments to my piano playing in the past couple years.

campo

Sep 5, 2007, 6:22 PM
Post #4 of 22 (11175 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I really want to say, "troll" but for some reason, I think the OP is serious?

Did I get suckered in?Wink

deane

Sep 5, 2007, 6:22 PM
Post #5 of 22 (11173 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I actually play quite a bit of oboe (talk about a useful college major) and guitar. So far I have had absolutely no problem with climbing impacting on my playing. Other than the concern about a pulley injury or something, typical wear and tear shouldn't really hold you back.

neuro-kid

Sep 5, 2007, 6:41 PM
Post #6 of 22 (11158 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As a serious concert violinist, gig guitarist, and climber, I can reassure you that climbing does not have an adverse effect upon the playing of musical instruments. It has actually given me better articulation. If it doesn't hurt my violin career, it certainly won't hurt the casual pianist.
-JBU

reg

Sep 5, 2007, 7:26 PM
Post #7 of 22 (11138 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

swidmann wrote:
I don't suppose there is anyone who both climbs and plays piano seriously? I used to climb often but stopped a couple of years ago. In the meantime I have returned to playing piano. I still would love to get back to climbing but think that it can't be good for anyone seriously into playing the piano - what with all the muscle that developes in the forearms of climbers. Are there any informed opinions out there?

Thanks,

Sebastin

i'll bite - it's not the muscle that will inhibit dexterity but your sense of touch - rough, callus skin. if you played well before climbing then you should continue to play well unless your injured of course.
i play but not very well.

coastal_climber

Sep 5, 2007, 7:46 PM
Post #8 of 22 (11125 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reg] climbing and playing piano [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I can play Happy B-day. Don't worry about it, if anything, your piano should get better.

>Cam

thomasribiere

Sep 5, 2007, 7:57 PM
Post #9 of 22 (11115 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a friend who was a professional pianist (teaching + concerts) and a 5.10 climber as well. He never complained about climbing impairing his musical skills, as far as I can remember.

ladyrockstar

Sep 5, 2007, 8:37 PM
Post #10 of 22 (11088 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thomasribiere] climbing and playing piano [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out Frank Sanders at Devil's Tower. He's put up more FA's on the Tower than anyone else, has been to the top more than a thousand times, and runs a guide service, taking all kinds of people to the top (including me, a 60-year-old noob). He just recorded a CD (actually, three of them, which he needs to narrow down to one). He plays piano at an Italian restaurant in Spearfish, usually after one or two summits at the Tower earlier in the day. His climbing and his piano playing are both incredible!

swidmann

Sep 6, 2007, 6:26 AM
Post #11 of 22 (11042 views)
Shortcut

Re: [musicman1586] climbing and playing piano [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Apparently mine was a stupid question, though I don't really see why. Anyway, thanks for all the information. (Also, I now know what a troll is.)

granite_grrl

Sep 6, 2007, 3:12 PM
Post #12 of 22 (10995 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ladyrockstar] climbing and playing piano [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ladyrockstar wrote:
Check out Frank Sanders at Devil's Tower. He's put up more FA's on the Tower than anyone else, has been to the top more than a thousand times, and runs a guide service, taking all kinds of people to the top (including me, a 60-year-old noob). He just recorded a CD (actually, three of them, which he needs to narrow down to one). He plays piano at an Italian restaurant in Spearfish, usually after one or two summits at the Tower earlier in the day. His climbing and his piano playing are both incredible!

Thank you, Frank also came to my mind. Amazing climber, amazing pianist.

Go for a visit, he would quickly ask you to come and play with him on his baby grand at Devil's Tower Lodge. Perhaps you can rope up after you're finished your jam session.

coach_kyle

Sep 6, 2007, 3:38 PM
Post #13 of 22 (10983 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I play viola. Climbing has not effected my abilities except for 1 broken finger that got better. In fact, I think the stronger forearms have improved my technique.

ladyrockstar

Sep 6, 2007, 4:37 PM
Post #14 of 22 (10963 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] climbing and playing piano [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, I spent most of two months at Frank's this summer, mostly painting the outside of his house. He gave me a free room so that my dog didn't have to stay out in the hot van all summer. We did get some chances to go climbing, too. I left for a week at a time now and then to go hiking, but always went back to Frank's. I was sorry that I couldn't finish the house (it was 3/4 done), but I teach at the university in Green Bay and had to get home. I can hardly wait for vacation to be out there again!

tb69hikeclimb

Sep 6, 2007, 5:14 PM
Post #15 of 22 (10944 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess the next logical question would be , who makes a portaledge that will support a piano and and you ? might want to consider getting one with enough room for the oboe player to accompany you.Cool

talnlnky

Sep 6, 2007, 5:20 PM
Post #16 of 22 (10932 views)
Shortcut

Re: [deane] climbing and playing piano [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

deane wrote:
Well, I actually play quite a bit of oboe (talk about a useful college major) and guitar. So far I have had absolutely no problem with climbing impacting on my playing. Other than the concern about a pulley injury or something, typical wear and tear shouldn't really hold you back.
agreed, I no longer play piano, tho, I did play other sports at the time (soccer, baseball, basketball) and never remember suffering any injury to any part of the body that stopped me from being able to play. Short of a tendon problem (or serious head trauma from a fall) climbing shouldn't get in the way.

freezorburn

Sep 14, 2007, 2:00 PM
Post #17 of 22 (10757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just did both last night. Climbed then played piano, You just can't do both at the same time.

When starting out Climbing for the first 3 months don't push too hard Let your fingers build strenth slowly. Stop climbing for the day if your tendons start to hurt.

truello

Sep 14, 2007, 2:42 PM
Post #18 of 22 (10737 views)
Shortcut

Re: [freezorburn] climbing and playing piano [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

freezorburn wrote:
I just did both last night. Climbed then played piano, You just can't do both at the same time.

Trophy to the first person who proves freezorburn wrong with pictures Cool

jsh

Sep 14, 2007, 2:57 PM
Post #19 of 22 (10722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Sebastin,

I'm a violinist, and I've been climbing since 15 years or so.

For me the calluses are complementary - violin calluses are on the very fingertip, while climbing sometimes erases my finger pads. I've sometimes felt stiff for an hour or two after climbing, so I won't climb the day of an evening concert, and I practice before going to the gym, but other than that, no long-term joint or stiffness problems. I try to be more careful about crimping and tendons, because for me a blown tendon is a bigger problem (though I did blow a tendon last winter, with no lasting ill effects). I am a little paranoid about too-good finger locks.

I would also say that climbing has helped my playing by overall upper body strength. My back is stronger, which helps me sit up straight for hours in rehearsal, and helps me be a better player with less effort. Good technique (in both pursuits) is all about not over-gripping, which is what you lapse into when you're tired .... and stronger core muscles keep you from getting tired.

All that said, I have a good friend who is a concert soloist, and while I think he'd really like climbing, I don't think I'll ever bring him out.

jmvc

Sep 14, 2007, 4:50 PM
Post #20 of 22 (10706 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jsh] climbing and playing piano [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I play the cello, no problems noticed, apart from being able to play at high speed for longer without getting tired.

Though as jsh says, playing on the same day as a serious climbing session can be a problem.. The fingers are tired and clumsy..

jaybro

Sep 15, 2007, 6:14 AM
Post #21 of 22 (10645 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ladyrockstar] climbing and playing piano [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dang! When I saw this thread I jonsed to bring ths colonel in, first. dang, again!

Oh well.
Mr ament has some piano chops and they say he's made a move or two on rock.

Didn't Beckey teach Eubie blake how to play piano? or the other way around?

usacpnw

Sep 15, 2007, 2:38 PM
Post #22 of 22 (10617 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jaybro] climbing and playing piano [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

#5863 Sean McColl -87 Canada, Van City Presentation | Routes | Boulders | Picture Gallery | Blog

Ranking R / Trend Top 10 Canada World
12 Months 11 900 1 (135) 19 (3991)
All Time 12 055 2 (354) 52 (8492)
Ranking B/ Trend Top 10 Canada World
12 Months 11 070 1 (86) 7 (2177)
All Time 11 073 1 (256) 21 (5236)

I started climbing when i was 10. When i was 12, i did my first 8b+. When i was 14, i did my first 8c, and at 16 i did my first 8c+. Im also in grade 10 royal conservatory piano.

Date of birth 1987-09-03
Height 170 cm
Weight about 63 kg
Started climbing 1997
Occupation Student
Other interrests Soccer, Piano
Best comp. result 3 time Junior World Champion
Best climbing area Ceuse, France
Areas where I can guide Teaching Piano...
Sponsor/Links Blurr
Petzl
La Sportiva

Visits

Presentation: 2 070
Routes: 1 579
Boulder: 939
Blog: 442
Total: 5 030

Latest Ascents

7c La Saga, Salese
7c+ TNT, Salese