Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

climbingaggie03

Sep 12, 2007, 2:36 AM
Post #1 of 40 (4206 views)
Shortcut

Modifying BD ATC Guide
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I was going through my rack today and looking at my ATC guide and I thought I sure do love that little guy. I've had him for a year and climbed hundreds of thousands of feet with him and I've only had one complaint. One time I was on a single pitch climb that was a full rope length so I was belaying my second from the top. My second couldn't finish the climb and wanted me to lower her to the ground. I had placed all my skinny slings on the climb cause I didn't really think I'd need to lower her, so I managed to just pull on the tab with one hand while maintaining a break hand with the other hand and lower her to the ground. So I learned to keep a sling around just in case.

Tonight however I thought, what if I tie a small loop of 5-6mm cord through the tab so that I can clip any biner into it and not have to mess with threading a sling through the tab. The one downside to this that I can think of is that having a loop on my ATC provides me with one more thing to snag stuff with when it's on my harness and when it's on the anchor. I may try it this weekend and see how it goes, but I was wondering if anybody has tried this, or if they know of another solution to this "problem"

moose_droppings

Sep 12, 2007, 3:02 AM
Post #2 of 40 (4167 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingaggie03] Modifying BD ATC Guide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbingaggie03 wrote:
So I was going through my rack today and looking at my ATC guide and I thought I sure do love that little guy. I've had him for a year and climbed hundreds of thousands of feet with him and I've only had one complaint. One time I was on a single pitch climb that was a full rope length so I was belaying my second from the top. My second couldn't finish the climb and wanted me to lower her to the ground. I had placed all my skinny slings on the climb cause I didn't really think I'd need to lower her, so I managed to just pull on the tab with one hand while maintaining a break hand with the other hand and lower her to the ground. So I learned to keep a sling around just in case.

Tonight however I thought, what if I tie a small loop of 5-6mm cord through the tab so that I can clip any biner into it and not have to mess with threading a sling through the tab. The one downside to this that I can think of is that having a loop on my ATC provides me with one more thing to snag stuff with when it's on my harness and when it's on the anchor. I may try it this weekend and see how it goes, but I was wondering if anybody has tried this, or if they know of another solution to this "problem"

I tied a small loop of 11/16th's webbing by 2" (small hero loop) on mine as soon as I got it for that exact reason. I even asked BD if they'd considered making that hole large enough to except a biner. They replied that another hole biner size would make it confusing for some to rig correctly (probably true). Mine works fine like this. Makes it easy to clip a biner on there with any old size sling instead of carrying one specifically for that.

Partner jeff_m

Sep 12, 2007, 3:30 AM
Post #3 of 40 (4135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I originally tried a small, thick keyring loop---just enough to get a finger through to unweight, but it didn't work as well as I had hoped. For the last year I've used a piece of 4mm girthed through the hole and then daisied. Good to grip on and I can clip a biner if need be. (Also good for an emergency prussik or autolock backup if things really go wrong.)

And no, it hasn't gotten in the way or caught on anything to date, either.

JAB

Sep 12, 2007, 6:40 AM
Post #4 of 40 (4077 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jeff_m] Modifying BD ATC Guide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

One emergency option could be to use your shoe laces.

jmvc

Sep 12, 2007, 4:25 PM
Post #5 of 40 (3950 views)
Shortcut

Re: [JAB] Modifying BD ATC Guide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hell, I would hate to do that.. Better than nothing I suppose...

moose_droppings

Sep 12, 2007, 5:05 PM
Post #6 of 40 (3893 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JAB wrote:

Those must be some stout shoelaces.
Smile

coastal_climber

Sep 12, 2007, 5:33 PM
Post #7 of 40 (3861 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JAB wrote:

Never post again.

>Cam

caughtinside

Sep 12, 2007, 5:35 PM
Post #8 of 40 (3855 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] Modifying BD ATC Guide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

coastal_climber wrote:
JAB wrote:

Never post again.

>Cam

oh, the irony.

chossmonkey

Sep 12, 2007, 5:38 PM
Post #9 of 40 (3852 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] Modifying BD ATC Guide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thread a small nut (BD 4 or 5) through the hole and clip a biner into the nut.

zuegma

Sep 12, 2007, 6:38 PM
Post #10 of 40 (3788 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] Modifying BD ATC Guide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

no ned to modify. just carry a nut tool with you and you can use it as a lever if you put it in the other slot of the guide...works well as long as you aren't bringing up 2 seconds. also it is a piece of gear that i always have on me. works everytime.

Partner jeff_m

Sep 12, 2007, 6:47 PM
Post #11 of 40 (3775 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

JAB wrote:

"Slack! Slack!"
"Hold on while I unlace my shoe..."

Laugh

Or better yet, wear your emergency earrings...

JAB

Sep 13, 2007, 7:40 AM
Post #12 of 40 (3661 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] Modifying BD ATC Guide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

coastal_climber wrote:
JAB wrote:

Never post again.

>Cam

Thanks for your insightful post. Unimpressed

sknowlton

Sep 13, 2007, 1:47 PM
Post #13 of 40 (3634 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zuegma] Modifying BD ATC Guide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bingo.

Beat me to it

vegastradguy

Sep 13, 2007, 2:17 PM
Post #14 of 40 (3609 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sknowlton] Modifying BD ATC Guide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

my only worry would be whether the rope would suck it in when rappelling or catching a fall.

the new reverso's release hole will take a petzl spirit (not sure about other carabiners- definitely not anything bigger)....maybe BD will modify theirs in the future to take a specific carabiner.

easton

Sep 13, 2007, 3:02 PM
Post #15 of 40 (3581 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I understand BD's concern over putting another clip point in, but what if they mirrored the existing attachment point on the other side so the Guide could be flipped over and still be full strength. This would give a spot big enough to use a biner to pull the release, and anyone 'confused' by the set-up would still be safe.

Not a mod we can make, but would this work? I'm not looking at my Guide at the moment.

vegastradguy

Sep 13, 2007, 7:16 PM
Post #16 of 40 (3527 views)
Shortcut

Re: [easton] Modifying BD ATC Guide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

easton wrote:
I understand BD's concern over putting another clip point in, but what if they mirrored the existing attachment point on the other side so the Guide could be flipped over and still be full strength. This would give a spot big enough to use a biner to pull the release, and anyone 'confused' by the set-up would still be safe.

Not a mod we can make, but would this work? I'm not looking at my Guide at the moment.

probably not without making the guide incredibly bulky and heavy, not to mention awkward if you hung it off the other side.....

microbarn

Sep 13, 2007, 7:41 PM
Post #17 of 40 (3509 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Modifying BD ATC Guide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
coastal_climber wrote:
JAB wrote:

Never post again.

>Cam

oh, the irony.

Agreed. There have been so many threads that would be better with out you, Cam.

kovacs69

Sep 13, 2007, 7:46 PM
Post #18 of 40 (3500 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

climbingaggie03 wrote:

Ok, so I am having one of those slow brain days. Can someone post a picture so I can see what you are talking about or maybe we can get majid to do a diagram.

JB

Partner jeff_m

Sep 13, 2007, 8:25 PM
Post #19 of 40 (3461 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Modifying BD ATC Guide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
my only worry would be whether the rope would suck it in when rappelling or catching a fall.

That's why the girthed/daisy is more convenient (it can be easily removed with one hand if need be; no untying like a loop); I think a loop would be more problematic or at least cause some annoyance.

If you don't rap in "high friction" mode (teeth to the ground) there's no worry, the cord will be away from the slots. Frankly, I've never rapped in HF mode, 'cuz with a legloop friction block (or other) backup it's almost impossible to move...but I'm sure you know that.

Y uno photo para kovacs69 con lineas del Majid:

Yeah, the title of the thread is misleading. These aren't modifications.

kovacs69

Sep 14, 2007, 2:54 PM
Post #20 of 40 (3372 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jeff_m wrote:
vegastradguy wrote:

That's why the girthed/daisy is more convenient (it can be easily removed with one hand if need be; no untying like a loop); I think a loop would be more problematic or at least cause some annoyance.

If you don't rap in "high friction" mode (teeth to the ground) there's no worry, the cord will be away from the slots. Frankly, I've never rapped in HF mode, 'cuz with a legloop friction block (or other) backup it's almost impossible to move...but I'm sure you know that.

[image]http://www.citycg.com/atcguide.jpg[/image]

Thanks...now I see.

JB

stymingersfink

Sep 15, 2007, 12:42 AM
Post #21 of 40 (3326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jeff_m wrote:
vegastradguy wrote:

[image]http://www.citycg.com/atcguide.jpg[/image]

actually, IIRC, the small hole will accommodate a hotwire carabiner quite nicely. or a neutrino.

funny thing is, both of these biners are made by, you guessed it, BD!

Sep 15, 2007, 12:48 AM
Post #22 of 40 (3321 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Modifying BD ATC Guide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never used an ATC Guide but I can tell you what I've discovered works when I had to lower my second off my reverso when it was in autolock. Keep them in lock off with your brake hand and then just clip the other biner into your harness, remove the one that you had clipped in (which make it autolock) and then you're back to normal. It can take a little practice and you have to pay attention so as not to remove the wrong biner, but in a pinch, it works.

edited for my lack of articulation skills

(This post was edited by Points on Sep 15, 2007, 12:49 AM)

stymingersfink

Sep 15, 2007, 12:52 AM
Post #23 of 40 (3313 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Points] Modifying BD ATC Guide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Points wrote:
I've never used an ATC Guide but I can tell you what I've discovered works when I had to lower my second off my reverso when it was in autolock. Keep them in lock off with your brake hand and then just clip the other biner into your harness, remove the one that you had clipped in (which make it autolock) and then you're back to normal. It can take a little practice and you have to pay attention so as not to remove the wrong biner, but in a pinch, it works.

yeah, that's just sooo easy to do when you've positioned your master point above waist level!Crazy

Sep 15, 2007, 12:56 AM
Post #24 of 40 (3309 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Modifying BD ATC Guide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
Points wrote:

yeah, that's just sooo easy to do when you've positioned your master point above waist level!Crazy

Yeah, didn't really think about that, I had the rope through the master point and then the reverso on my belay loop. It's not the best, but it works in a pinch when you're trying to get down quick.

vegastradguy

Sep 15, 2007, 1:04 AM
Post #25 of 40 (3299 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Points] Modifying BD ATC Guide [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Points wrote:

this is assuming your second can unweight the rope- and, if they can, this is probably your best option.

if they cant, however, you'll need to read the instructions on the Reverso (and ATC-Guide) to learn how to do it without killing your second. incidentally, if you've never done it before and havent read up on it, its actually quite easy to lose control of the system. i'd even recommend practicing it in the gym before attempting it in the real world.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook