RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

turtleshell980

Jul 9, 2007, 7:57 PM
Post #1 of 9 (5114 views)
Shortcut

Slacklining over water
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I tried to set up a line over a river for the first time, about 40 feet across, and of course I got it wet. Does anybody know whether getting a line wet is bad for it, or will it just dry and no worries? My line seems to have frayed lightly on the side where I tightened it when it was wet, but I'm not sure if that's normal or not. Any ideas? Also, any ideas about whether it's bad to get the biners wet as long as I dry them well afterwards?

squamishdirtbag

Jul 9, 2007, 8:19 PM
Post #2 of 9 (5101 views)
Shortcut

Re: [turtleshell980] Slacklining over water [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Gear getting soaked is pretty routine, just dry it out and your fine.

drfelatio

Jul 9, 2007, 8:52 PM
Post #3 of 9 (5086 views)
Shortcut

Re: [turtleshell980] Slacklining over water [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

turtleshell980 wrote:
So I tried to set up a line over a river for the first time, about 40 feet across, and of course I got it wet. Does anybody know whether getting a line wet is bad for it, or will it just dry and no worries? My line seems to have frayed lightly on the side where I tightened it when it was wet, but I'm not sure if that's normal or not. Any ideas? Also, any ideas about whether it's bad to get the biners wet as long as I dry them well afterwards?

Hmmm...rivers contain high levels of dihydrogen monoxide which has been known to cause severe oxidation in some metals including those used in the manufacture of some climbing equipment. Your webbing is fine (just dry it out) but your biners may be susceptible to microfractures. If you would like, you could send them to me and I will test them for you.

mushroomsamba

Jul 10, 2007, 2:10 AM
Post #4 of 9 (5043 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drfelatio] Slacklining over water [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

drfelatio wrote:
turtleshell980 wrote:

Hmmm...rivers contain high levels of dihydrogen monoxide which has been known to cause severe oxidation in some metals including those used in the manufacture of some climbing equipment. Your webbing is fine (just dry it out) but your biners may be susceptible to microfractures. If you would like, you could send them to me and I will test them for you.

stop trying to make yourself look smart Wink

joeforte

Jul 10, 2007, 2:20 AM
Post #5 of 9 (5033 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mushroomsamba] Slacklining over water [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dihydrogen monoxide can corrode certain metals to the point where they become brittle and extremely weak. Worse than that, it can kill you if you're exposed to high enough levels of it!

leapinlizard

Jul 10, 2007, 2:20 AM
Post #6 of 9 (5033 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drfelatio] Slacklining over water [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

drfelatio wrote:

Dihydrogen monoxide uh ohhh, I never realized there might be "water" in a river.. Funny though, very funny!

knieveltech

Jul 10, 2007, 2:25 AM
Post #7 of 9 (5029 views)
Shortcut

Re: [leapinlizard] Slacklining over water [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

leapinlizard wrote:
drfelatio wrote:

Dihydrogen monoxide uh ohhh, I never realized there might be "water" in a river.. Funny though, very funny!

dude, don't smirk. That shit is deadly.

http://www.dhmo.org/

Rudlisi

Jul 10, 2007, 2:52 AM
Post #8 of 9 (5014 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knieveltech] Slacklining over water [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

knieveltech wrote:
dude, don't smirk. That shit is deadly.
http://www.dhmo.org/

haha Laugh That's one of the funniest things I've seen in a while! Some people have too much time on their hands...

jmvc

Sep 15, 2007, 10:53 AM
Post #9 of 9 (4730 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knieveltech] Slacklining over water [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

"Inhaling it can kill you"

Lol, great page

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook