RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

clmbrdancer

Sep 21, 2007, 3:45 AM
Post #1 of 11 (1835 views)
Shortcut

mad rock ropes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Has anyone used ropes made by Mad Rock? I've come across a site that sells ropes under the Mad Rock name (a gear site I've used before) but madrockshoes.com has no mention of them selling a rope. I've come across Mad Rock Rope before but don't remember where.

No search on RC, or google has yielded information on how they handle, who makes them, etc.

Information?

Cheers,

Brad

knieveltech

Sep 21, 2007, 5:02 AM
Post #2 of 11 (1787 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clmbrdancer] mad rock ropes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

clmbrdancer wrote:
Has anyone used ropes made by Mad Rock? I've come across a site that sells ropes under the Mad Rock name (a gear site I've used before) but madrockshoes.com has no mention of them selling a rope. I've come across Mad Rock Rope before but don't remember where.

No search on RC, or google has yielded information on how they handle, who makes them, etc.

Information?

Cheers,

Brad

Weird. Are you sure it isn't some kind of typo on the website? I just checked Mad Rock's website http://www.madrockclimbing.com and found no evidence to suggest Mad Rock is currently marketing ropes. Rope bags/buckets, sure, but no ropes. Do you have the URL for the gear site you saw this on?

jonoj

Sep 21, 2007, 10:56 AM
Post #3 of 11 (1722 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.climbaxe.com/...EWPROD&ProdID=54

taydude

Sep 21, 2007, 11:33 AM
Post #4 of 11 (1709 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

IMO madrock protection equals an early death. Madrock cant even make quality shoes and you want a rope made by them that's only 129? I smell a majid post coming up.

Seriously though why cant madrock make anything good? It boggles my mind why almost everything from that company is crap.

guccipiggy

Sep 21, 2007, 12:28 PM
Post #5 of 11 (1687 views)
Shortcut

Re: [taydude] mad rock ropes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

taydude wrote:
Seriously though why cant madrock make anything good? It boggles my mind why almost everything from that company is crap.

MADE IN _ _ _ _

Carnage

Sep 21, 2007, 12:49 PM
Post #6 of 11 (1680 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i dont get how you can say madrock = early death. All the gear is certified by UIAA or CE. its not like the gear is going to break on your first fall or something. I own some madrock draws and they are perfectly fine. super light and cheap (as in didnt cost much money)

imo the thing that i would be skeptical about is the wear of it. it may hold 6-10 uiaa falls but throw some drag across a rock and it may get owned.

clemsonscooby

Sep 21, 2007, 1:05 PM
Post #7 of 11 (1672 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The ropes used to be on their website. I was wondering the same thing about their performance. Mad Rock is not all that bad. The shoes go fast, but they are among the stickiest on the market. Plus, for the time they last, the cost makes up for it. I agree with the rating of the rope as being the true judge of performance. Their biner's are also really strong and light weight.

sterlingjim

Sep 21, 2007, 1:27 PM
Post #8 of 11 (1651 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clemsonscooby] mad rock ropes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I could be mistaken but I think the ropes were actually an overstock from a European manufacturer. Mad Rock simply put their name on them.
There is no UIAA requirement to sell them in the USA. I don't see Mad Rock listed on the UIAA list of safety label holders but that might just mean the list is not up to date. http://www.uiaa.ch/?c=311 The ropes are probably certified by whoever made them but technically Mad Rock can not put the UIAA label on them unless they obtain their own certificates from the UIAA.
Best thing to do is call them.

Carnage

Sep 21, 2007, 2:01 PM
Post #9 of 11 (1615 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sterlingjim] mad rock ropes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry, i think the ropes are actually CE certified. not sure how different the tests are.

taydude

Sep 21, 2007, 3:01 PM
Post #10 of 11 (1573 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Carnage] mad rock ropes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Carnage wrote:
i dont get how you can say madrock = early death. All the gear is certified by UIAA or CE. its not like the gear is going to break on your first fall or something. I own some madrock draws and they are perfectly fine. super light and cheap (as in didnt cost much money)

imo the thing that i would be skeptical about is the wear of it. it may hold 6-10 uiaa falls but throw some drag across a rock and it may get owned.

okay maybe I was a little harsh, what i mean to say is that based on the quality of their pad and shoes, I would not trust my life to a madrock rope, draw harness or biner. I dont care if they're certified.

coastal_climber

Sep 22, 2007, 12:39 AM
Post #11 of 11 (1467 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

taydude wrote:
Carnage wrote:

okay maybe I was a little harsh, what i mean to say is that based on the quality of their pad and shoes, I would not trust my life to a madrock rope, draw harness or biner. I dont care if they're certified.

They are like a climbing gear superstore.

Superstore Products = Crappy

>Cam

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook