Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

kest2703

Sep 24, 2007, 8:11 AM
Post #1 of 36 (1712 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by kest2703
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  

ClusterFock

Sep 24, 2007, 8:21 AM
Post #2 of 36 (1709 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kest2703] Boy Scouts and climbing... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
how far do you think i can go with them?

Well it is the scouts so after a couple of beers you could probably at least get to third base with the boys. Maybe even further. Tongue

overlord

Sep 24, 2007, 10:43 AM
Post #3 of 36 (1682 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just take them for some easy top roping.

fresh

Sep 24, 2007, 10:45 AM
Post #4 of 36 (1680 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kest2703 wrote:
hey there... i was wondering if there are some boy scouts here that could help me with something...

i am planing to lead a trip for our scout troop, using our venture crew as youh supervisors. i myself am one of the venutres, and im a "assistant climbing instructor" at the army gym wall. i've had a lot of experience, thank god nothing really bad, and i feel confident at teaching belaying with 8's, grigri's, and ATC's. they do not need to know anything very specific to fullfil the merit badge requirements, but how far do you think i can go with them?

i already ruled out lead and multi-pitch. i remember the cramps my first climb.

thanks,

kest
check with your council, but in my council you actually can do lead climbing at the unit level.

as far as toproping, I'm pretty sure it just takes 'qualified supervision', whatever the hell that means. and everyone needs a helmet. and life vests wouldn't hurt.

mrpotter

Sep 24, 2007, 12:26 PM
Post #5 of 36 (1655 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fresh] Boy Scouts and climbing... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I wish my council would let us do lead climbingMad For us, everything has to be protected by a top rope.

Are you planning to teach the entire merit badge, or just the actual climbing part? If you plan to do the whole thing, you might want to consider doing a session or two at home beforehand to teach them the knots, safety, commands and all the "boring stuff". Also, how many kids are there and how old?

insider2185

Sep 24, 2007, 1:18 PM
Post #6 of 36 (1627 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mrpotter] Boy Scouts and climbing... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It is national BSA policy, that at the unit level then lead climbing and even ice climbing is allowed. But at the council and district levels, then only top rope is allowed.

http://www.scouting.org/...ts/resources/20-099/

As for as your class goes, some top and some easy bouldering should be enough to get them excited. I wouldn't bring them lead or ice climbing, unless they are pretty experienced.

(This post was edited by insider2185 on Sep 24, 2007, 1:20 PM)

desertwanderer81

Sep 24, 2007, 1:39 PM
Post #7 of 36 (1608 views)
Shortcut

Re: [insider2185] Boy Scouts and climbing... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
A qualified rock climbing instructor who is at least 21 years of age must supervise all BSA climbing/rappelling activities. A currently trained BSA climbing director or instructor is highly recommended. Contact your local council or regional service center to locate a qualified individual. The climbing instructor has successfully completed a minimum of 10 hours of instructor training for climbing/rappelling from a nationally or regionally recognized organization, a climbing school, a college-level climbing/rappelling course.

But yeah, contact your local council and they'll hook you up with all you need to know. Your District Executive will be able to get you all of the information you need.

sed

Sep 24, 2007, 4:43 PM
Post #8 of 36 (1524 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

quite possibly the most obvious troll i've ever seen.

bigfatrock

Sep 24, 2007, 6:58 PM
Post #9 of 36 (1454 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been around a few Boyscout groups at the crag before. If I remember correctly they have to finish three climbs and a rappel. I would say have adults belay them and don't even have them touch a belay device if they don't have to. Make sure somebody has them on belay from above for rappel.

Oh, and most of all make sure they don't run across the paths of other climbers. This is my biggest complaint of Boyscouts, I have had them run right across my rope before while belaying somebody

I know one girl that guides and has taken scouts out before. If she catches them stepping on a rope she makes them pick it up, kiss it, and tell it they are sorry. Just a little something to help them to remember not to step on the rope, saves them being embarrassed as well.

kest2703

Sep 24, 2007, 7:17 PM
Post #10 of 36 (1433 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bigfatrock] Boy Scouts and climbing... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well age group is 11-12. our ventures are 16-21. most of us volunteer at outdoor rec for MWR, and have been thorugh the "how to teach" part of climbing.

policy at outdoor rec is one beer per step on rope. i like it, and we're in europe so YAY for me.

oh, amount... hm... 20, maybe 15 if we're lucky. some... have prince charming difficulties ("eewww whats that" "who had that helmet on before me" "whats that" and one kid actually thought they could take the harness home as a souvenier, i had to laugh so hard i almost fell)

but ill keep it top roping, all of our older scouts are at the point where we are practicing anchors and placement right now. and how to not spill an open can in ur chalkbag (for w/e reason most of my buddys need to get high offa rockstar during climbing, which i will forbid when climbing outdoors with me -.-)

so i'll take the kids "normal" climbing, and then with the elders go take ice climbing lessons at kandersteg this winter. fun times. cant wait. oh, and our council forbids flip flops, open toe showear, powder skiing (o.O) go karts, knives that can be opened by one hand (which we demonstrated that with practice, you can bite the outside of a blade and pull it open) and so on.

and the council supervisor isnt really... answering about many things so im not gonna go look for support. if not it can be a "hey ur here too? WOW! what a coincidence!!!!" we did that with some other stuff and it woprks great.

thanks for all the feedback! if any of the scouts ever come to germany, let me know ;-)

fresh

Sep 24, 2007, 11:23 PM
Post #11 of 36 (1363 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sed] Boy Scouts and climbing... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sed wrote:
GREAT SCOTT YOU ARE RETARDED

Partner epoch

Sep 24, 2007, 11:40 PM
Post #12 of 36 (1352 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As much as I loathe BSA here's a link explaining what you need to do in order for them to attain their badge:
http://meritbadge.org/...x.php?title=Climbing

Don't die. I'd hate to read about it in one of majid's posts.

Personally, I believe that they should have to lead at least 5.6 trad. (Entailing everything needed to properly climb, anchor, and retreat. Including proper gear placements.)

Why did I post this?

el_layclimber

Sep 25, 2007, 12:19 AM
Post #13 of 36 (1325 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fresh wrote:
sed wrote:
GREAT SCOTT YOU ARE RETARDED

You know it's a Boy Scout thread when "great scott" constitutes swearing.

arabinnite

Sep 25, 2007, 12:26 AM
Post #14 of 36 (1316 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't get LOST, I don't want to see you on FOX NEWS in the morning!

Partner wideguy

Sep 25, 2007, 12:41 AM
Post #15 of 36 (1311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kest2703 wrote:
hey there... i was wondering if there are some boy scouts here that could help me with something...

i am planing to lead a trip for our scout troop, using our venture crew as youh supervisors. i myself am one of the venutres, and im a "assistant climbing instructor" at the army gym wall. i've had a lot of experience, thank god nothing really bad, and i feel confident at teaching belaying with 8's, grigri's, and ATC's. they do not need to know anything very specific to fullfil the merit badge requirements, but how far do you think i can go with them?

i already ruled out lead and multi-pitch. i remember the cramps my first climb.

thanks,

kest

To the OP...

Follow this link and read it. If you're not doing this, then you will not be covered by BSA in the event of an accident

http://www.scouting.org/...ts/resources/20-099/

Starting with the presence of at least two registered adult leaders

Then, make sure your venturing leader gets a tour permit filed, or again, if anything goes wrong, you won't be covered.

As for the MB requirements
In reply to:
<i>1. Do the following:

a. Show that you know first aid for and how to prevent injuries or illnesses that could occur during climbing activities, including heat and cold reactions, dehydration, stopped breathing, sprains, abrasions, fractures, rope burns, blisters, snakebite, and insect bites or stings.
b. Identify the conditions that must exist before performing CPR on a person.

2. Learn the Leave No Trace principles and Outdoor Code, and explain what they mean.
3. Present yourself properly dressed for belaying, climbing, and rappelling (i.e., appropriate clothing, footwear, and a helmet; rappellers and belayers must also wear gloves).
4. Location. Do the following:

a. Explain how the difficulty of climbs is classified, and apply classifications to the rock faces or walls where you will demonstrate your climbing skills.
b. Explain the following: top-rope climbing, lead climbing, and bouldering.
c. Evaluate the safety of a particular climbing area. Consider weather, visibility, the condition of the climbing surface, and any other environmental hazards.
d. Determine how to summon aid to the climbing area in case of an emergency.

5. Verbal signals. Explain the importance of using verbal signals during every climb and rappel, and while bouldering. With the help of the merit badge counselor or another Scout, demonstrate the verbal signals used by each of the following:

a. Climbers
b. Rappellers
c. Belayers
d. Boulderers and their spotters

6. Rope. Do the following:

a. Describe the kinds of rope acceptable for use in climbing and rappelling.
b. Show how to examine a rope for signs of wear or damage.
c. Discuss ways to prevent a rope from being damaged.
d. Explain when and how a rope should be retired.
e. Properly coil a rope.

7. Knots. Demonstrate the ability to tie each of the following knots. Give at least one example of how each knot is used in belaying, climbing, or rappelling.

a. Figure eight on a bight
b. Figure eight follow-through
c. Water knot
d. Double fisherman's knot (grapevine knot)
e. Safety knot

8. Harnesses. Correctly put on at least ONE of the following:

a. Commercially made climbing harness
b. Tied harness

9. Belaying. Do the following:

a. Explain the importance of belaying climbers and rappellers and when it is necessary.
b. Belay three different climbers ascending a rock face or climbing wall.
c. Belay three different rappellers descending a rock face or climbing wall using a top rope.

10. Climbing. Do the following:

a. Show the correct way to tie into a belay rope.
b. Climb at least three different routes on a rock face or climbing wall, demonstrating good technique and using verbal signals with a belayer.

11. Rappelling. Do the following:

a. Using a carabiner and a rappel device, secure your climbing harness to a rappel rope.
b. Tie into a belay rope set up to protect rappellers.
c. Rappel down three different rock faces or three rappel routes on a climbing wall. Use verbal signals to communicate with a belayer, and demonstrate good rappelling technique.

12. Demonstrate ways to store rope, hardware, and other gear used for climbing, rappelling, and belaying.</I>

I'd say you're pretty off target on the " they do not need to know anything very specific to fulfill the merit badge requirements, " theory. They need to know and demonstrate some pretty specific stuff.

All in all, if you want to go climbing with some kids who just happen to be Scouts , then have fun and be safe. But if you want this to be a Scout sanctioned climbing trip that leads to a Merit Badge, then you need to do some more research.

(This post was edited by wideguy on Sep 25, 2007, 12:42 AM)

wiki

Sep 26, 2007, 8:23 AM
Post #16 of 36 (1184 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Would you like to combine them with my 6 year old lead climbing class Wink

Scouts are scary...

kest2703

Sep 26, 2007, 8:34 AM
Post #17 of 36 (1179 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by kest2703 [In reply to]
Report this Post

firecrafter695

Sep 26, 2007, 5:21 PM
Post #18 of 36 (1151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kest2703 wrote:
meet downtown by coincidence.

Best time to meet up as scouts :P

desertwanderer81

Sep 26, 2007, 9:36 PM
Post #19 of 36 (1110 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Boy Scouts and climbing... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
As much as I loathe BSA

Why do you loathe them? Sure there are a lot of idiot kids, and idiot adults in it, but let's face it, there are a lot of idiot kids and adults all throughout life.

By no means is the BSA a be all and end all to the outdoors, but it is a good introduction to a lot of people who then go on to really become competent later in life.

The only thing that gets me is that there are certain indivisuals in it who don't realize that it is only an introduction and not a be all and end all.

Partner epoch

Sep 26, 2007, 10:08 PM
Post #20 of 36 (1090 views)
Shortcut

Re: [desertwanderer81] Boy Scouts and climbing... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
epoch wrote:
As much as I loathe BSA

Why do you loathe them? Sure there are a lot of idiot kids, and idiot adults in it, but let's face it, there are a lot of idiot kids and adults all throughout life.

By no means is the BSA a be all and end all to the outdoors, but it is a good introduction to a lot of people who then go on to really become competent later in life.

The only thing that gets me is that there are certain indivisuals in it who don't realize that it is only an introduction and not a be all and end all.
I have my reasons. They're mine, so don't ask.

I've experienced more of the idiots than non-idiots. It's pretty consistant regardless of where you are at. Regardless of BSA or not. Though BSA is a good place for them to all get together and be idiots together.

spoon

Sep 26, 2007, 10:19 PM
Post #21 of 36 (1084 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
epoch wrote:
As much as I loathe BSA

Why do you loathe them?

They also hate gays and atheists, at least at a national policy level. As an eagle scout, the contradictions in the program's stated moral values and demonstrated moral values are disturbing.

desertwanderer81

Sep 26, 2007, 10:19 PM
Post #22 of 36 (1082 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Boy Scouts and climbing... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
epoch wrote:
As much as I loathe BSA

I've experienced more of the idiots than non-idiots. It's pretty consistant regardless of where you are at. Regardless of BSA or not. Though BSA is a good place for them to all get together and be idiots together.

Meh, if you dislike it, you should join in and make changes and introduce an attitude that you apreciate.

Kids are very malliable.....it is a mentor based organisation....so educate away!

desertwanderer81

Sep 26, 2007, 10:23 PM
Post #23 of 36 (982 views)
Shortcut

Re: [spoon] Boy Scouts and climbing... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

spoon wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
epoch wrote:
As much as I loathe BSA

Why do you loathe them?

They also hate gays and atheists, at least at a national policy level. As an eagle scout, the contradictions in the program's stated moral values and demonstrated moral values are disturbing.

The association between scouting and the gay/atheist rules remain purely because of its association with the Mormon Church. On an indivisual level, the organization is generally very tolerent. As much as the general population as a whole is at least.

Partner epoch

Sep 26, 2007, 10:35 PM
Post #24 of 36 (972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
spoon wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
epoch wrote:
As much as I loathe BSA

Why do you loathe them?

The association between scouting and the gay/atheist rules remain purely because of its association with the Mormon Church. On an indivisual level, the organization is generally very tolerent. As much as the general population as a whole is at least.

Did you see the new article about the scouting organization in San Francicso... You'd think that it would counter your stated opinion.

Partner epoch

Sep 26, 2007, 10:37 PM
Post #25 of 36 (567 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

desertwanderer81 wrote:
epoch wrote:
desertwanderer81 wrote:
epoch wrote:
As much as I loathe BSA

Meh, if you dislike it, you should join in and make changes and introduce an attitude that you apreciate.

Kids are very malliable.....it is a mentor based organisation....so educate away!

Why don't I join? Now that would be counter to my belief and opinion of the organization. Sadly, group thought often outweighs reason. No, I'll leave the corruption to you, thank you.

It's easier to teach a child those values without having to explain why Timmy does things differently. It's called being a good parent.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook