Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

summitseeker

Sep 25, 2007, 11:07 AM
Post #1 of 38 (29947 views)
Shortcut

Boulder my place
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well, after reading the pimp my wall, I think this may be a bad idea but I'm gonna throw it out there anyway. If I build a wall in my yard three times as nice as the one I have now (most say the one I have now is pretty cool) would people from all over come set routes on it??? Like a comp. except the prize being only the bragging rights. Think about it. Let me know how stupid the idea is or what I can do to make it work !!! Thanks

microbarn

Sep 25, 2007, 12:04 PM
Post #2 of 38 (29933 views)
Shortcut

Re: [summitseeker] Boulder my place [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You are trying to lure climbers from all over to Oklahoma? Good luck

I think you would have a better chance of trying to watch the "road trip" threads and getting people to make a stop at your place. Otherwise that would be a lot of travel for some gym climbing, and I don't see that happening.

summitseeker

Sep 26, 2007, 2:10 AM
Post #3 of 38 (29887 views)
Shortcut

Re: [microbarn] Boulder my place [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It seems like everyone thinks Oklahoma has a rash or something and no one comes here. If you live in florida and you drive to California to climb you COULD go through Oklahoma. All I'm asking is, would any one stop by and hit up my wall in my back yard (not a gym if you would have read my post) I realize it will only be noobs because the"real" climbers would have no time!!! Just asking is all

EPiCJAMES

Sep 26, 2007, 2:18 AM
Post #4 of 38 (29884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

summitseeker wrote:
It seems like everyone thinks Oklahoma has a rash or something and no one comes here. If you live in florida and you drive to California to climb you COULD go through Oklahoma. All I'm asking is, would any one stop by and hit up my wall in my back yard (not a gym if you would have read my post) I realize it will only be noobs because the"real" climbers would have no time!!! Just asking is all

if you need friends, get a myspace account. yeah it's no gym, but what's the difference in your plastic from the plastic down the street? now, if you had some killer boulders in your backyard, you got some chances.

summitseeker

Sep 26, 2007, 10:51 AM
Post #5 of 38 (29847 views)
Shortcut

Re: [EPiCJAMES] Boulder my place [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's true, I need friends !!! The my space isn't doing enough. I spent 2 thousand bucks on a bouldering wall. It isn't working, so I thought I'd spend about 10 on my next one (construction to begin in October) You know if someone wants to help with the construction......... Oh yeah I forgot NO ONE comes to Oklahoma.
Ok I've got it. Someone give me a job where there is some REAL climbing, and I'll move my whole fam there. I'll do whatever it takes to have FRIENDS LOL

EPiCJAMES

Sep 27, 2007, 1:25 AM
Post #6 of 38 (29794 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

summitseeker wrote:
It's true, I need friends !!! The my space isn't doing enough. I spent 2 thousand bucks on a bouldering wall. It isn't working, so I thought I'd spend about 10 on my next one (construction to begin in October) You know if someone wants to help with the construction......... Oh yeah I forgot NO ONE comes to Oklahoma.
Ok I've got it. Someone give me a job where there is some REAL climbing, and I'll move my whole fam there. I'll do whatever it takes to have FRIENDS LOL

i say keep the 10 grand, and buy some friends. i only cost about 5k. haah. but seriously, how is the wall you have now? got any pictures of it? i would stick with that, and spend the money on something else.

summitseeker

Sep 27, 2007, 2:25 AM
Post #7 of 38 (29782 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I do have some pics of my wall but right now my scanner is down and I can't post them. I'm going to build a new house so I have to rebuild the wall at the new place. Of course if you rebuild you have to build better.....right?? I would climb on my wall more now but I can't seem to climb by myself, and in my little town, no one else climbs. Quite a problem huh? LOL

EPiCJAMES

Sep 27, 2007, 5:11 PM
Post #8 of 38 (29753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

summitseeker wrote:
I do have some pics of my wall but right now my scanner is down and I can't post them. I'm going to build a new house so I have to rebuild the wall at the new place. Of course if you rebuild you have to build better.....right?? I would climb on my wall more now but I can't seem to climb by myself, and in my little town, no one else climbs. Quite a problem huh? LOL

ahhh, NOW we're getting the facts. so you gotta rebuild it no matter what... make that shit crazy!!! the more angles, the better. but that depends on your climbing. i mainly boulder. do you have a climbing gym in your area? if you do, letting a couple people know they can come climb for free, just might make a few friends. so when it snows out there, do you use a crash pad? hahaha

sidepull

Sep 27, 2007, 5:20 PM
Post #9 of 38 (29746 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

why not get one of those free standing top-outable synthetic boulders? Like the ones they have at The Spot.

EPiCJAMES

Oct 2, 2007, 10:37 PM
Post #10 of 38 (29670 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] Boulder my place [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sidepull wrote:
why not get one of those free standing top-outable synthetic boulders? Like the ones they have at The Spot.

are there any web sites with info on these???

N_Oo_B

Oct 3, 2007, 3:43 AM
Post #11 of 38 (29649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cool concept, I was thinking of building a bolder in my yard too. I actually was thinking about building it out of rock and mortar with pieces of plywood here and there with T-nuts... kinda a mix of real and fake.

But seriously, would you just let any noob who showed up start setting a route? lol sounds too easy for some noob to steal your holds. Just my 2 cents.

dlintz

Oct 3, 2007, 4:08 AM
Post #12 of 38 (29640 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tell ya what. I'll come down and visit your plywood monstrosity, set the sickest V0+....maybe V1- that has ever been set....EVER I tell you, drink all your beer, and then scoot on back home. Win win all around eh?

And no, we can't be friends.

d.

N_Oo_B

Oct 3, 2007, 4:22 AM
Post #13 of 38 (29634 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dlintz] Boulder my place [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lol My gramps might have some "hams" with 70% of the lable rubbed off from hunting season rolling around in his pickup bed, but otherwise there's not much for beer around here =P

The next door neibor is a vinard with some nice wine starting at only 35$ bottle if you want to buy me a gift for creating such a monstrosity.

(This post was edited by N_Oo_B on Oct 3, 2007, 4:22 AM)

summitseeker

Oct 3, 2007, 11:22 AM
Post #14 of 38 (29608 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Why can't we be friends?? Why can't we be friends? I'm talking about spending 10 grand on a wall for you to climb on, $135 for party supplies food and beer, and you're saying we still can't be friends. It's because I'm in Oklahoma isn't it? I bet (you think) if I built this monstrosity at say the base of the nose on el cap. I'd get more traffic. not likely!!! I will build it and people will come!!! (please) LOL

dlintz

Oct 3, 2007, 12:31 PM
Post #15 of 38 (29599 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

summitseeker wrote:
Why can't we be friends?? Why can't we be friends? I'm talking about spending 10 grand on a wall for you to climb on, $135 for party supplies food and beer, and you're saying we still can't be friends. It's because I'm in Oklahoma isn't it? I bet (you think) if I built this monstrosity at say the base of the nose on el cap. I'd get more traffic. not likely!!! I will build it and people will come!!! (please) LOL

If you build that at the base of El Cap you'd have 20 dirtbaggers living under it, the holds stolen and sold for beer, and still no friends out of the whole deal. Yos is rough man.

Since I'm two states away from you let's compromise. Build it in Kansas, double the beer fund and then I'll reconsider the friend issue. Wink

d.

(This post was edited by dlintz on Oct 3, 2007, 4:18 PM)

krusher4

Oct 3, 2007, 1:14 PM
Post #16 of 38 (29579 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Maybe you could offer camping? Might get some folks to stop by while crossing the flatlands.

summitseeker

Oct 4, 2007, 1:46 AM
Post #17 of 38 (29521 views)
Shortcut

Re: [krusher4] Boulder my place [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, I will have camping. And I don't mean primative. A guest house with a full bath and kitchen and an outdoor kitchen on a huge deck. Soon to come a pool!!!!!! This fall the guest house next summer the boulder 2009 the pool. Am I getting closer???

krusher4

Oct 4, 2007, 1:07 PM
Post #18 of 38 (29480 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sh*t, I live in Boulder, CO and will be driving to El Potrero Chico this Dec I would love a place in between to set up a tent for a night and playing on faux boulders would be a great bounus!

fivesix

Oct 4, 2007, 7:06 PM
Post #19 of 38 (29449 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so as the official leader of Pimp my Wall..... yes it seems no-one... i mean no-one wants to play with anyone elses plasticUnimpressed i realized that after all the effort, that i couldnt even get just a group of friends to come and play around! everyone wants to get paid!!! seems every bad-ass intown knows what they are doing with a wrench and a few holds!!! go figure, would'a never seen that one coming! Laugh

anyways i think you have a good idea... just dont count on friends either!Wink

summitseeker

Oct 7, 2007, 11:38 AM
Post #20 of 38 (29349 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fivesix] Boulder my place [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Dang 5/6, before I read your post, I was depressed, now I'm suicidal. Don't give up on me yet, I think I have one good bite on the line, and I'm gonna reel him in. Right now, our negotiations are at $10,270 for a whole day of friendship. I really think I can get it lower though. Can you climb with your fingers crossed? Ahhh, I got nothing else. I'm going back to my boulder designing. I gotta get this thing built

gobennyjo

Oct 7, 2007, 6:33 PM
Post #21 of 38 (29311 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Honestly if I were you I would spend that money to take a trip somewhere, do you just boulder, you'll meet all kinds of people, and hey with ten grand you could do whatever you want and still have left over money

summitseeker

Oct 7, 2007, 11:34 PM
Post #22 of 38 (29286 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gobennyjo] Boulder my place [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

But, if I did that, I could only go someplace once. With a wall (world class) and a small income to support my new circle of friends, I could boulder forever or until I turn 47. You know, buy a man a fish....

gobennyjo

Oct 8, 2007, 2:38 AM
Post #23 of 38 (29260 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea, you should take a cheap trip though, hey if you do make it do you think it would be up by sometime this comming summer, might stop by if I am taking a trip out west

summitseeker

Oct 8, 2007, 2:50 AM
Post #24 of 38 (29257 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gobennyjo] Boulder my place [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

To make a short story long. I dug the footing for my shop today, so it is under way. I'm anticipating the shop to take me two months. So by dec 1st I should be starting on the boulder ( which by the way will have about 1200 sq ft of surface) estimated complertion date April 1. Oh yes I will take any ideas and pics under advisement !!! Isthat soon enough??????

flint

Oct 8, 2007, 2:59 AM
Post #25 of 38 (29247 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

summitseeker wrote:

$10,000 to spend on a wall and friends, but no digital camera to post all of this fun on my space? Come on, at least be a gumby who posts pictures of them playing on the V4 in the gym. Who lives in florida and drives to the Pac. anyway. Florida gym rats got money to burn on tickets for this new transit option called airplanes.

Hey Epic James. Check out http://www.monosculpt.com/ they have some fun stuff going on.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Competition Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook