RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

kest2703

Sep 30, 2007, 6:28 PM
Post #1 of 15 (4084 views)
Shortcut

Dilemma (non climbing)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

1st i know this is a climbing forum.

2nd but i respect all of your opinions.

Ok, i covered the homecoming dance as the photographer for the school i attend. i also have friends there. now, i dont have a job but have running expenses as a climber and photographer. so... friends are asking me for the pictures but its clear they dont want to pay. but some people will pay. but when i give friends the files for free, people will want the files too, for free. and then they can make as many copies as they want to.

my idea is i should make them sign a contract saying i will not reproduce the pics. if they do. sue them.

any ideas? this is pretty bad ...

and the "its a gift to a friend" wont cut it

mturner

Sep 30, 2007, 7:02 PM
Post #2 of 15 (4069 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kest2703] Dilemma (non climbing) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

kest2703 wrote:
1st i know this is a climbing forum.

2nd but i respect all of your opinions.

Ok, i covered the homecoming dance as the photographer for the school i attend. i also have friends there. now, i dont have a job but have running expenses as a climber and photographer. so... friends are asking me for the pictures but its clear they dont want to pay. but some people will pay. but when i give friends the files for free, people will want the files too, for free. and then they can make as many copies as they want to.

my idea is i should make them sign a contract saying i will not reproduce the pics. if they do. sue them.

any ideas? this is pretty bad ...

and the "its a gift to a friend" wont cut it

If you cannot afford to give people pics for free or want to make money then you should not give anybody pics for free. You can't give favors for friends or others will expect the same.

Suing your friends doesn't sound like a reasonable solution either. Why not print out pics and charge them based on that? Otherwise I'd suggest selling to people that are in the picture. For example, say Sally is in picture A and Bob is in picture B and they both buy those pictures of themselves and share them with each other. That should be fine since they aren't likely to buy pics of the other person anyhow.

Long story short, maybe you should have thought about this before you volunteered to take pics.

kest2703

Sep 30, 2007, 7:18 PM
Post #3 of 15 (4060 views)
Shortcut

Post deleted by kest2703 [In reply to]
Report this Post

mturner

Sep 30, 2007, 8:22 PM
Post #4 of 15 (4032 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kest2703 wrote:
i did and i came to the point where i am not going to give out digital files and sell the pic to a non profit price.

my trouble is the digital files. if somebody doesnt want to pay to have the prints made, or doesnt want to go with ym price, and they can get the file for free, they can duplicate it as much as they want. if i .pdf it, no myspace upload, which most people will want to do.

so yeah. i had thought about this before, but being busy all wekk it kinda got swallowed.

Where are they getting the digital files?

kest2703

Sep 30, 2007, 8:24 PM
Post #5 of 15 (4029 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

shockabuku

Sep 30, 2007, 8:25 PM
Post #6 of 15 (4028 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Clearly you weren't cut-out to run your own business. Give the pictures/files away for free and get a job at the German equivalent of Wal-mart.

climberboy193838

Sep 30, 2007, 8:30 PM
Post #7 of 15 (4021 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the server idea isnt a bad one. I've heard of websites where you can pay a fee for the month or year, and it allows you to show the picture, sometimes give a link to it (allowing the myspace part), and if they so choose, order the prints and have them mailed to themselves, and the profit goes to you. you might want to look into something like this...

kest2703

Sep 30, 2007, 8:34 PM
Post #8 of 15 (4017 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

shockabuku

Oct 1, 2007, 1:03 AM
Post #9 of 15 (3964 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kest2703 wrote:
and shockabuku, you dont want me working at wal-mart. caus i can guarentee you, you wouldnt like me as a boss.

Yeah, I can clearly tell that by the content of this thread.

Partner jeff_m

Oct 1, 2007, 1:29 AM
Post #10 of 15 (3945 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

1st: There are no "non climbing" dilemmas. Everything comes back to climbing. I can steer any conversation back to climbing---just ask my wife (which is why climbing talk is outlawed in the house.)

2nd: For the photography, give away all the low-resolution/screen-sized images you want. Just pop a little "Copyright kest2703" in the corner and let your buddies go wild. But when they start complaining about how they can't print them out and frame them for their girlfriends/boyfriends, then hit them up for a reasonable fee for the higher resolution file. I deal with many photographers and that seems to be the trend.

and/or

3rd: If you have Adobe Acrobat (the full program, not the Reader) in the Security tab when generating a PDF, you can password protect your pic to be a low-res/can't copy/can't print file. Again, when someone starts complaining, then you can charge them. You're providing a service that should be recompensed.

Okay, now let's get back to the climbing talk! Angelic

pico23

Oct 1, 2007, 7:18 AM
Post #11 of 15 (3901 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] Dilemma (non climbing) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shockabuku wrote:
kest2703 wrote:
and shockabuku, you dont want me working at wal-mart. caus i can guarentee you, you wouldnt like me as a boss.

Yeah, I can clearly tell that by the content of this thread.

On topic: What Jeff said!

Off Topic:
Walmart is everywhere...europe, south ameraica, asia (even communist china).

It's like a bad case of syphilis, pops up in all the wrong places, and just won't go away.

kest2703

Oct 2, 2007, 7:44 AM
Post #12 of 15 (3831 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

pico23

Oct 2, 2007, 6:12 PM
Post #13 of 15 (3788 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

kest2703 wrote:
climberboy193838 wrote:
the server idea isnt a bad one. I've heard of websites where you can pay a fee for the month or year, and it allows you to show the picture, sometimes give a link to it (allowing the myspace part), and if they so choose, order the prints and have them mailed to themselves, and the profit goes to you. you might want to look into something like this...

could you maybe tell me what websites they are? because i am googling stuff like "commercial image hosting" "professional photo/picture storage" and so on not finding anything.

smug mug or something like that

climberboy193838

Oct 2, 2007, 10:10 PM
Post #14 of 15 (3752 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sorry. cant be of much more help. i just happened across them on a random photography site and didnt bookmark them.

guangzhou

Oct 7, 2007, 2:51 AM
Post #15 of 15 (3671 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climberboy193838] Dilemma (non climbing) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I shot a couple of events last summer. Because I live i Asia and didn't have time to process the photos while in the states, I used

https://www.efotolab.com/...nup_photographer.cgi

They did all the work for me and I am still selling prints from the events today.

No contracts, you just upload the photos, add you mark up and invite you guest to buy. You can password protect you gallery too.

The nice thing is, the people you invite can forward the link to other friends and family member who will also buy the prints.

Each print will cost your buyers slightly more, but you have not work to do. The lab will send the print directly to the buyers. You just shoot, edit, upload, and invite.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook