Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

moose_droppings

Oct 3, 2007, 6:14 AM
Post #51 of 63 (3591 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] Webbing, Cord direct attachment to bolt hanger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Thanks Majid, Werner, Chris, Bob.

Given a like situation, I'll use cord.

trenchdigger

Oct 3, 2007, 4:02 PM
Post #52 of 63 (3572 views)
Shortcut

Re: [russwalling] Webbing, Cord direct attachment to bolt hanger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

russwalling wrote:
...good tests, plain to see, take them for what they are.

I couldn't agree more, however, Majid has somehow taken away from the results of these tests that cord handle shock load better. I don't necessarily disagree, but the test results have nothing to do with how cord or webbing handles shock load in this type of situation.

(This post was edited by trenchdigger on Oct 3, 2007, 4:32 PM)

majid_sabet

Oct 3, 2007, 6:15 PM
Post #53 of 63 (3559 views)
Shortcut

Re: [russwalling] Webbing, Cord direct attachment to bolt hanger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

russwalling wrote:
Don't let the "mouse milkers" get to you Majid.... good tests, plain to see, take them for what they are.

Was there actually an end use or question these tests were for? I have read "rapping" a couple of times in here... was this an "is it safe to rap on webbing through a bolt hanger" thingy or something else?

I think, the guy was wondering instead of leaving a biner, webbing and rappelling ring, what if he just directly tied the cord or webbing to bolt anchor.

I knew that is was bad idea for anchor while leading cause you could shock load your entire life line if a leader fell but then it was questionable for rappelling so we thought about doing the test to see how bolt hangers handles soft material under tension. On rappelling, the load generally rest on the system therefore shock loading is at its lowest and chances of breaking the cord or webbing is almost near none but, then what if you were rappelling and somehow you got hit by a rock and fell full force to the end of the line( assuming you tie a safety knot).

Was that anchor strong enough to support the shock load?

That is how the idea of testing webbing and cord vs. bolt hanger came to our mind.

zuegma

Oct 3, 2007, 6:55 PM
Post #54 of 63 (3553 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i just have a question about the cord you used. was it static or dynamic. from the tests and how much it seemed to stretch i want to say dynamic. but if you could please confirm static or dynamic that would be great. other wise it was a very intersteing test with some what expected results. in that any material will break at less than its normal breaking strength when bent over a sharp angle.
thanks and good job with the tests

russwalling

Oct 3, 2007, 7:40 PM
Post #55 of 63 (3541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
russwalling wrote:
Don't let the "mouse milkers" get to you Majid.... good tests, plain to see, take them for what they are.

Was there actually an end use or question these tests were for? I have read "rapping" a couple of times in here... was this an "is it safe to rap on webbing through a bolt hanger" thingy or something else?

I think, the guy was wondering instead of leaving a biner, webbing and rappelling ring, what if he just directly tied the cord or webbing to bolt anchor.

I knew that is was bad idea for anchor while leading cause you could shock load your entire life line if a leader fell but then it was questionable for rappelling so we thought about doing the test to see how bolt hangers handles soft material under tension. On rappelling, the load generally rest on the system therefore shock loading is at its lowest and chances of breaking the cord or webbing is almost near none but, then what if you were rappelling and somehow you got hit by a rock and fell full force to the end of the line( assuming you tie a safety knot).

Was that anchor strong enough to support the shock load?

That is how the idea of testing webbing and cord vs. bolt hanger came to our mind.

If you get clubbed by a rock during the rappel, even with no hands on the brake, the device is going to slow you somewhat. My guess: webbing is fine and will not cut. Why: lots of rope out, slow(er) descent than freefall, pretty high strength number on the webbing... but there is two strands of rope for the less than soft catch.... hmmm

As for the shock loading Vs. slow pull, I have a source around here somewhere that says there is not much difference as far as the materials are concerned. The cord will stretch more (as seen in your tests) than 1" webbing, but the forces absorbed (ie: more time) by the 6mm will be quickly used up and of little good IMO. To take a stab at what good the stretch will do, I'd say it might bring it up to equal with the 1" web strength numbers.

(This post was edited by russwalling on Oct 3, 2007, 7:49 PM)

timfu

Oct 3, 2007, 9:14 PM
Post #56 of 63 (3526 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] Webbing, Cord direct attachment to bolt hanger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
In reply to:
IMO, this is suggesting that even small amount of internal stretch within the material could reduce the impact

3X stretch (at 500-800 fewer pounds of force) is NOT a SMALL AMOUNT of internal stretch. a small amount of internal stretch would be something in the ELASTIC DEFORMATION range (see the stress/strain curve i sent you above). once you reach PLASTIC deformation, the material has failed.

its like pulling a piece of chewing gum out of your mouth, and pulling it apart 12 inches. then concluding the gum is absorbing the load gradually. the gum has already failed. you can DECREASE the amount of force on it, and it will continue to deform until it fractures.

do you understand this concept? i've brought it up several times, and you have not addressed it.

by the way, if i had the personal choice of using 8 mm nylon cord vs 1"webbing, i'd use the cord, even without the test. but i would use 1" webbing over 6 mm cord, because of your test results. so the test you've done is not without value.

Hardman, you must not understand deformation yourself. The stress/strain plot you linked to does not indicate whether the deformation was plastic or elastic. The determination of plastic deformation can only be made upon reversing the load on the material and measuring the resultant plastic strain, if there is any. Since the plot you linked to did not indicate any load reversal, it is impossible to come to the conclusion that plastic deformation occurred based on the shape of the stress/strain curve. After all, it could be a plot from non-linear elastic material - like plastics. The plot you linked to is fine for undergraduates working on homework problems involving metals, but for the problem at hand, namely deformation of a plastic (6mm cord) the plot in no way models the materials behavior. Besides, what kind of "source" is wikipedia? You should know to only site sources that are peer reviewed...

Also, the amount of stretch does not, in itself, indicate plastic deformation. Have you ever heard of a rubber band? 3X stretch for a rubber band certainly is small compared to the amount of stretch at failure and is still well within the elastic region. It's all relative to the materials tested - and he was testing plastic! Also, I am sure he eyeballed and guessed the "3X stretch", and by stretch he probably meant elongation of the loop of cord due to the knot tightening. Why don't you think about it a little and give him a break.

But I am sure you already knew all of this, seeing as how you review and write papers of your own, it just seems your comments would more likely come from a freshman student who took his first course in materials engineering than someone who reviews papers in the field. I'm glad you don't review any of the papers that I write...

And, thanks for the test results majid!

Tim

onceahardman

Oct 3, 2007, 11:25 PM
Post #57 of 63 (3507 views)
Shortcut

Re: [timfu] Webbing, Cord direct attachment to bolt hanger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

tim, i'm not sure why this is so difficult. the stress/strain curve i linked to is a standard, generic one that any high school student might learn in physics. i never intended it as indicative of every conceivable material. nonetheless, it DOES illustrate elastic and plastic deformation zones, contrary to your statement:

In reply to:
The stress/strain plot you linked to does not indicate whether the deformation was plastic or elastic.

i took majid's statement regarding the 3X lengthening as being the length at the conclusion of the test, (that is, after the load was removed). there is nothing majid has said which would contradict this. since the definition of plastic deformation is "a permanent change in length of a material under stress, upon removal of that stress", well, it's pretty clear (to me) that the cord underwent plastic deformation. if the cord, upon release from the tensioning device, returned to its original size, well, then i would be wrong. but inspection of majid's photos shows the length change remained after tension was removed.

In reply to:
Besides, what kind of "source" is wikipedia? You should know to only site sources that are peer reviewed

perhaps it is you who should be cutting me some slack here. you want a materials science cite, in this format? really? i thought a simple, generic, layman's stress/strain curve and definition was sufficient.

In reply to:
Also, I am sure he eyeballed and guessed the "3X stretch",

really? why do you assume that? did majid say anything about it? then how can you be "sure", as you suggest?

by the way, regarding your snide remarks amount my review of scientific papers...i never claimed to review papers in materials science. but i do review scientific papers which include stress/strain, and plastic deformation.

and by the way, i'm GLAD majid did this work. as i said SEVERAL times, it is not without value. but his conclusions do not match his data.

(This post was edited by onceahardman on Oct 3, 2007, 11:28 PM)

majid_sabet

Oct 4, 2007, 6:28 AM
Post #58 of 63 (3485 views)
Shortcut

Re: [timfu] Webbing, Cord direct attachment to bolt hanger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

timfu wrote:
onceahardman wrote:
In reply to:
IMO, this is suggesting that even small amount of internal stretch within the material could reduce the impact

3X stretch (at 500-800 fewer pounds of force) is NOT a SMALL AMOUNT of internal stretch. a small amount of internal stretch would be something in the ELASTIC DEFORMATION range (see the stress/strain curve i sent you above). once you reach PLASTIC deformation, the material has failed.

its like pulling a piece of chewing gum out of your mouth, and pulling it apart 12 inches. then concluding the gum is absorbing the load gradually. the gum has already failed. you can DECREASE the amount of force on it, and it will continue to deform until it fractures.

do you understand this concept? i've brought it up several times, and you have not addressed it.

by the way, if i had the personal choice of using 8 mm nylon cord vs 1"webbing, i'd use the cord, even without the test. but i would use 1" webbing over 6 mm cord, because of your test results. so the test you've done is not without value.

Hardman, you must not understand deformation yourself. The stress/strain plot you linked to does not indicate whether the deformation was plastic or elastic. The determination of plastic deformation can only be made upon reversing the load on the material and measuring the resultant plastic strain, if there is any. Since the plot you linked to did not indicate any load reversal, it is impossible to come to the conclusion that plastic deformation occurred based on the shape of the stress/strain curve. After all, it could be a plot from non-linear elastic material - like plastics. The plot you linked to is fine for undergraduates working on homework problems involving metals, but for the problem at hand, namely deformation of a plastic (6mm cord) the plot in no way models the materials behavior. Besides, what kind of "source" is wikipedia? You should know to only site sources that are peer reviewed...

Also, the amount of stretch does not, in itself, indicate plastic deformation. Have you ever heard of a rubber band? 3X stretch for a rubber band certainly is small compared to the amount of stretch at failure and is still well within the elastic region. It's all relative to the materials tested - and he was testing plastic! Also, I am sure he eyeballed and guessed the "3X stretch", and by stretch he probably meant elongation of the loop of cord due to the knot tightening. Why don't you think about it a little and give him a break.

But I am sure you already knew all of this, seeing as how you review and write papers of your own, it just seems your comments would more likely come from a freshman student who took his first course in materials engineering than someone who reviews papers in the field. I'm glad you don't review any of the papers that I write...

And, thanks for the test results majid!

Tim

[URL=http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/9/10/3/f_fPICT0123m7m_0b482e2.jpg&srv=img39]

knudenoggin

Oct 4, 2007, 7:24 PM
Post #59 of 63 (3450 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At now 3pp there are a lot of things to chase down ... .

1) The knots in the tape & cord were, resp., Water knot & Grapevine bend.

2) The significance of material feed from the compression of these knots
isn't zero even though the failure occurred away from them; esp. with so
short a test specimen, the amount of material drawn from the knots will
be relatively large--it's an absolute amount based on tension, and is a
high amount proportionately to the short loop. Therefore, there is some
effect of the material having lesser tension on the side with the knot.

Of course, if this is just the structure one is going to be using in practice,
then just these results are what is relevant. (I'd expect such imbalance
to be weakening.)

3) The folded tape isn't the same or so relevant to the question posed
about positioning a (knot's) end of tape against the hanger: in this
latter case, the nylon directly against the metal isn't tensioned but
simply compressed (by the loaded tape above it); that might make
for better results.

4) Comparing the cord to tape in terms of tensile strength might be
missing the point: more relevant to practical concerns, IMO, is the
equating of cost or weight--tape is per weight/cost much stronger.

5) The configuration used in testing differs from what would be used
in practice in anchoring the material away from the hanger with a
broad, STRAIGHT bolt: in practice, this will typically be a D-shaped
'biner, which itself will have deformation effects upon esp. 1" tape,
and that might affect how it delivers load over the hanger!?

6) Some other configurations to test:
-a. girth-hitching to hanger;
-b. basket-hitching (which doubles material all around);
-c. stopper attachment (i.e., the loaded material passes
through the hanger to a knot whose bulk holds it
(hanger opening might be so large as to make this pretty dubious));
-d. and the previously questioned loading of the tape over an
untentioned END for padding;
-e. anchoring tape with a 'biner vice straight bar; and
-f. smaller widths of tape.

(An e.g. for 6.c woud be the tape sling tied w/EDK
and the loop end poked through the hanger & loaded.)

7) I was surprised that the tape-to-cord saw the cord failing at even
lower force than cord-to-hanger (though it was different cord, so ...).

8) This business about the "gradual" failure of the cord I think is
misleading: there was graduated, incremental loading of the cord
on account of the pump action & cord stretch; in reaLife (tm), the
force would be continuous and "gradual" here suggests that it simply
began failing sooner than the resistant tape!

*knudeNoggin*

clintcummins

Oct 5, 2007, 3:10 AM
Post #60 of 63 (3435 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

> Running webbings or any type of utility cord directly through any bolt hanger should be avoided however, based on what we noticed, the 6 mm utility cord even though smaller and weaker than the standard one inch webbing ( rated to 4000+- lbs), handles the tensions and forces gradually, compared to the 1 inch webbing, ...

You are correct that running webbing or cord directly through a bolt hanger i(or cable on wired nut, or fixed pin) s weaker than having a biner in between the hanger and webbing/cord. So for belaying, or for rappelling with a haul bag where it might cut loose and generate those high loads, clip in with a biner and don't let the haulbag go flying down the wall. But people have been rapping off of slings through 2 bolts for years (usually with the old "American Triangle" setup); it is plenty strong enough (for rapping) if the sling(s) are not damaged/old.

The strength numbers are pretty much as expected. Webbing/cord does not like being loaded over a small/sharp edge/radius. Actually, the Fixe hanger is fairly thick; the old Leeper hangers (many of which are still out there) are much thinner; yet I have never heard of a new/undamaged sling on one of them being cut while on rappel. So here is what I would do in the following situations:

- rappel anchor - fine to have slings, although they require maintenance, so chains/rings are nicer if acceptable in the area. It's best to clip the hanger with a biner to anchor yourself (and haulbag, if any). If hanger is stuffed full of old slings, it's best to have a knife or ability to untie the slings which are there. But you are probably fine clipping the slings directly if you don't have a haulbag and you don't have a knife and the hangers are stuffed full.

- I prefer webbing over perlon to leave at rappel anchors, because it is easier to untie the standard water knot in webbing (vs. commonly used double fisherman's in perlon) and get rid for later knifeless parties. Besides, I don't usually have any perlon except for my chalkbag belt (5mm for emergency prusik) and the rope(s) (no cordelette for me). The strength number for 6mm seem on the low side, but usually one has 2 bolts with the sling not bent at 180 degrees (more like 2 70 degrees angles at the bolts, so I'm indifferent on the strength of 1" webbing vs 6mm cord.

- belay anchor - clip at least one of the hangers directly. If not possible, then place backup gear or "hope" the leader gets in some pro soon. If it looks sketchy/runout above the belay, maybe bail if a big whipper looks relatively likely. If the slings are way sketchy and you can't clip a hanger directly, you probably don't want to even bring your partner up - maybe downclimb the pitch instead?

- bailing from a bolt partway up a bolted pitch - this gets tricky because the simplest thing to do is to rappel or lower from the bolt. Assuming you test the bolt (i.e. weight/bounce it while still on belay), that is an acceptable risk to me, so I would rappel from the single bolt using a sewn runner doubled through the hanger. Then after I rappel I retrieve that sling by having one end of the rope pretied to one end of the sling. Next best is to leave the doubled sling there, if you don't have enough rope to tie one end to it; it can probably be fairly easily removed by the next person leading the pitch. 3rd best is to leave a biner; also easily removable but more expensive to leave (or requires carrying a bail biner with you that you don't care about leaving). Worst is leaving a tied sling, because it is not easy for the next leader to remove.

(This post was edited by clintcummins on Oct 5, 2007, 3:20 AM)

majid_sabet

Oct 5, 2007, 10:42 PM
Post #61 of 63 (3398 views)
Shortcut

Re: [knudenoggin] Webbing, Cord direct attachment to bolt hanger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

knudenoggin wrote:
At now 3pp there are a lot of things to chase down ... .

1) The knots in the tape & cord were, resp., Water knot & Grapevine bend.

2) The significance of material feed from the compression of these knots
isn't zero even though the failure occurred away from them; esp. with so
short a test specimen, the amount of material drawn from the knots will
be relatively large--it's an absolute amount based on tension, and is a
high amount proportionately to the short loop. Therefore, there is some
effect of the material having lesser tension on the side with the knot.

Of course, if this is just the structure one is going to be using in practice,
then just these results are what is relevant. (I'd expect such imbalance
to be weakening.)

3) The folded tape isn't the same or so relevant to the question posed
about positioning a (knot's) end of tape against the hanger: in this
latter case, the nylon directly against the metal isn't tensioned but
simply compressed (by the loaded tape above it); that might make
for better results.

4) Comparing the cord to tape in terms of tensile strength might be
missing the point: more relevant to practical concerns, IMO, is the
equating of cost or weight--tape is per weight/cost much stronger.

5) The configuration used in testing differs from what would be used
in practice in anchoring the material away from the hanger with a
broad, STRAIGHT bolt: in practice, this will typically be a D-shaped
'biner, which itself will have deformation effects upon esp. 1" tape,
and that might affect how it delivers load over the hanger!?

6) Some other configurations to test:
-a. girth-hitching to hanger;
-b. basket-hitching (which doubles material all around);
-c. stopper attachment (i.e., the loaded material passes
through the hanger to a knot whose bulk holds it
(hanger opening might be so large as to make this pretty dubious));
-d. and the previously questioned loading of the tape over an
untentioned END for padding;
-e. anchoring tape with a 'biner vice straight bar; and
-f. smaller widths of tape.

(An e.g. for 6.c woud be the tape sling tied w/EDK
and the loop end poked through the hanger & loaded.)

7) I was surprised that the tape-to-cord saw the cord failing at even
lower force than cord-to-hanger (though it was different cord, so ...).

8) This business about the "gradual" failure of the cord I think is
misleading: there was graduated, incremental loading of the cord
on account of the pump action & cord stretch; in reaLife (tm), the
force would be continuous and "gradual" here suggests that it simply
began failing sooner than the resistant tape!

*knudeNoggin*

Two burning marks were detected on webbing and smoke came out of inner loop of webbing as cord broke so we think, heat generated by cord movement reduced the POF.The 6mm cord on both ends ( inch from each end) was melted as shown in one of the images on test 5

evanwish

Nov 29, 2007, 4:06 PM
Post #62 of 63 (3229 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reg] Webbing, Cord direct attachment to bolt hanger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

that's interesting thanks for posting and doing the research.

now isn't a peice of webbing rated around 4000 lbs?
If so, just the hanger itself reduced it's strength by half. I would have never guessed.[seems to me all hangers should have more rounded corners then]

anyways, from your study, would you conclude that it is or is not safe to set a sling directly on two bolts for a rappel?

billcoe_

Dec 14, 2007, 7:48 PM
Post #63 of 63 (3155 views)
Shortcut

Webbing, Cord direct attachment to bolt hanger [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Have we been able to ascertain what the exact effect of putting a cat in between the webbing and the runner would be?

Keep up the good work lads!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : The Lab

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook