RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

mig

Oct 9, 2007, 2:24 AM
Post #1 of 5 (994 views)
Shortcut

yosemite bigwalls is spring season?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello,

I would like to know your opinion about climbing El Cap and Half Dome in spring season (April and May). Especially information about El Cap Zodiac and The Shield routes and Half Dome Regular NW route. There is any kind of bird regulation? Do you think these routes probably will be wet? There is usually snow on descent in these months?
Tell me something about… please!

Cheers

skiclimb

Oct 9, 2007, 7:26 AM
Post #2 of 5 (966 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mig] yosemite bigwalls is spring season? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

May is my favorite month for Yosemite Walls. Long days. Good temps. No closures on the routes you mentioned.. Never seen the sheild wet cept when raining. If you are a solid aid waller then I highly recommend the shield.(my favorite wall so far) Dunno if regNW on dome is wet in may or not.. kinda doubt it.

Couple tiny snow patches in mid may one time on cap ..so maybe but I wouldn't even bring gators. April I would expect a fair amount of snow on half dome though... but just a guess not really sure.

(This post was edited by skiclimb on Oct 9, 2007, 7:35 AM)

salamanizer

Oct 9, 2007, 7:50 AM
Post #3 of 5 (954 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

April and May can be hit or miss. Theirs usually a few good weeks in there, but you have to be flexable. Last year April and May were great, the year before, not so great. I'd shoot for May for greater stability.

Zodiac usually gets whiplash from a near by waterfall early in the season on the first couple pitches. After that you're high and dry. The Shield gets some seepage but nothing too bad. However it gets blasted by high winds, but that's inevitable no matter when you go.
The NW face of Half Dome doesn't get any runnoff. However the approaches can be hell, especially the slabs. Not much for sun all day too. So it can be cold, especially in the chimneys. If it's 80 in the Valley it will generally be about 70 on half dome...perfect!

Enjoy...

mig

Oct 10, 2007, 6:12 AM
Post #4 of 5 (909 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you, skiclimb and salamanizer. Great information.

Cheers

stymingersfink

Oct 13, 2007, 5:35 PM
Post #5 of 5 (842 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, the later the better, but not so late as to be in the heat of the season. In the third week of April '05 my partner and I were getting on ZM when a light snow fell. Wasn't too bad, but once the sun hit the rim and the ice chunks started falling... WATCH OUT! Horsetail falls (the one east of Zodiac) was spraying us from time to time when the winds would pick up, the lower half of Zodiac would have been nearly impossible without full weather gear.

Generally though, AFAIK, the SE side is overhanging enough to be fairly sheltered in the weather. In foul weather however, the top three or four pitches would still be quite the bitch.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?
$107.96 (10% off)
$38.66 (10% off)
$18.86 (10% off)

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook