RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

asiaclimber

Oct 10, 2007, 1:28 PM
Post #1 of 9 (904 views)
Shortcut

trad in japan?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

so currently i am livign in korea and just getting into trad climbing. I was wanting to know if there is any trad climbign within say 4hrs of tokyo? I will be heading there in may and just wondered if i should invest in a rack or continue climbing on that whitch my friends have?

bill_in_tokyo

Oct 11, 2007, 5:26 AM
Post #2 of 9 (894 views)
Shortcut

Re: [asiaclimber] trad in japan? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, there is trad within 4 hours of Tokyo. Not as much as you might wish, but some.

Four hours puts you in range of Ogawayama, a granite area with a spring through fall season, which has some good trad, as well as lots of bolted routes. (There's also another crag right in the same area which is predominantly cracks - can't think of the name right now.)

It also puts you in range of Jogasaki and the various smaller satellite areas down there, and also Yugawara/Makuiwa. These are andesite areas that are at their best during the winter months, although Yugawara is climbable year round. Both of these again have some good trad, as well as lots of bolts.

With regard to the desirability of buying a rack in general , that's hard to answer. The key issue is whether you have the necessary gear to climb what you want to climb, when you want to climb it. If the answer is "yes", then it doesn't much matter whether you own the gear or your friend does.

With that said, if you have the disposable income, buying a rack is nice for a variety of reasons. First, it means you're not dependent on anyone else - if you meet a new partner who doesn't have gear, you can climb anyway. Second, you can buy exactly the gear that you like. Third, toys are fun!

As for buying a rack specifically to climb around Tokyo, there are enough bolted routes that there's no real necessity. Draws will keep you climbing happily over here. But if you like trad and have the cash, there are at least a few places over here to place gear when you get the urge.

In any case, look me up when you get here. Assuming we can get out together (and don't hate each other), you'll be welcome to use my rack while you get a feel for the various areas.

asiaclimber

Oct 11, 2007, 7:27 AM
Post #3 of 9 (891 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bill_in_tokyo] trad in japan? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for the info bill. I just got done buying sizes .25-4 with doubles on .75-3 a set of nuts, some more runners and of course some extra ovals. There is Some trad here in korea where i will be spending my time learning how to place gear better and hopfully by next may will be proficient enough to not feel as though i am just free soloing. If you are still in japan in may of next year I'll deffinetly hit you up for some climbing.

bill_in_tokyo

Oct 11, 2007, 8:14 AM
Post #4 of 9 (888 views)
Shortcut

Re: [asiaclimber] trad in japan? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

asiaclimber wrote:
thanks for the info bill. I just got done buying sizes .25-4 with doubles on .75-3 a set of nuts, some more runners and of course some extra ovals.

That'll get you up just about everything around here, with some left over.

In reply to:
proficient enough to not feel as though i am just free soloing

Heh. I hear that!

In reply to:
If you are still in japan in may of next year I'll deffinetly hit you up for some climbing.

Cool!

Here are (rather out of date) pics, if you're curious:

Yugawara/Makuiwa:

http://www.tokyo_bill.homestead.com/tokyocrags.html

Jogasaki:

http://www.tokyo_bill.homestead.com/tokyocrags2.html

Ogawayama:

http://www.tokyo_bill.homestead.com/tokyocragsiii.html

There are various other, smaller crags in the Tokyo area as well.

ZackP

Oct 11, 2007, 12:51 PM
Post #5 of 9 (884 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bill how long are you in japan? When i get the cash im either comming down there for some climbing or drinkin at rapungee( i know i misspelled that)

bill_in_tokyo

Oct 12, 2007, 2:19 AM
Post #6 of 9 (872 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ZackP] trad in japan? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Zack,

I've been here thirteen years this stretch and fifteen altogether. Provided my employers don't have a sudden change of heart, I'll probably be here for the foreseeable future (i.e., some additional years).

I'm somewhat old and totally married, so I don't do the Roppongi thing much anymore, but I guess I could still be tempted. As for climbing, for that I can definitely be tempted.

Let me know if you're coming in, and we'll see what we can set up.

- Bill

(This post was edited by bill_in_tokyo on Oct 12, 2007, 3:04 AM)

ZackP

Oct 15, 2007, 1:49 PM
Post #7 of 9 (841 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bill Tokyo is a long ass way from me. like i said im in misawa if ya still dont know where that is its in the Aomori prefecture. The majority of the time i do go south is either Sendai or Morioka. Both Cities have awsome gyms there and im currently in the middle of revamping the one we have on base.Sly Just hope they shell out the cash for it.

bill_in_tokyo

Oct 16, 2007, 5:09 AM
Post #8 of 9 (833 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ZackP] trad in japan? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I get that you're not close by. I was just responding to your comment that you were hoping to get down here one of these days. No worries if there's a delay - I'm not going anyplace; but it's always cool to climb with new people, so if you do get the chance to head down here, let me know.

In the meantime, good luck on upgrading your base gym (and getting reimbursed for it!).

ZackP

Oct 16, 2007, 9:25 AM
Post #9 of 9 (825 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you missunderstand. the base MWR fund is paying for it. i just have to design and build it. Talk about a win win situation. If they wanted me to pay for it, I would tell em where they can stick it.Cool winter is on the way now so im looking at swapping out the harness for my board Cant wait.!!!!!!!!!!!!

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook