Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

shockabuku

Oct 17, 2007, 1:58 PM
Post #26 of 55 (1523 views)
Shortcut

Re: [xtremst80] When did you start leading? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Top roped about 12 climbing days in Pennsylvania, New York, and Georgia before my first sport lead on a 5.7 in New York (all outside over about 3-4 years). Then I followed 2-3 multipitch trad climbs in the Gunks and climbed 3-4 months indoors in Georgia before my first trad lead at Looking Glass (in the following ~8 months). Probably wasn't the best learning method but you work with what's available.

rudolphluciani

Oct 17, 2007, 2:03 PM
Post #27 of 55 (1520 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] When did you start leading? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Lead some 5.7 sport my first day climbing outside. Took about a year and a heluva lotta ground school before leading any trad. I'm still pretty new at that.

lena_chita

Oct 17, 2007, 2:37 PM
Post #28 of 55 (1503 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was climbing for about s year. My first sport lead was a 5.9.

bizarrodrinker

Oct 17, 2007, 2:43 PM
Post #29 of 55 (1498 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lena_chita] When did you start leading? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Bouldered for about 6 years then went sport climbing with a friend and insisted on getting on something that I would fall off of.

Just wanted to know what it was like to take a whipper and have loved being above the rope ever since.

Got my first trad lead last year and have been continuing that venture as well.

percious

Oct 17, 2007, 2:44 PM
Post #30 of 55 (1498 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A year and a month of TRing before going trad. My 5th lead was High E (onsight)!

Never looked back.

shrug7

Oct 17, 2007, 2:48 PM
Post #31 of 55 (1496 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

About 1.5 years in to the sport did I start leading Trad and that was also after a few months of sport.
First sport lead was a 5.7 and first trad was around a 5.4/5.

endercore

Oct 17, 2007, 3:05 PM
Post #32 of 55 (1491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had climbed on toprope maybe 10 times in a gym, then went to college and bouldered in our gym about 4 times a week for a month or two before I hooked up with some guys going outside. I led sport my first day out on real rock and have never really top roped since. Trad is a little bit different. I worked guiding for the past two summers and we built top rope anchors for most of our trad climbs. So i toproped probably 15 diffrent cracks many times,some trad stuff up to 5.10. Came home from CO, stole my friends trad rack and just started leading. Currently leading around 5.8, but only because i've never tried anything harder.

markc

Oct 17, 2007, 3:33 PM
Post #33 of 55 (1475 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I started top-roping late in the season in '97, and started leading in the gym some time that fall or winter. My first outdoor lead was a 5.8 at the New in spring of '98. (My area didn't have many bolted routes at the time.)

My first time seconding at Seneca was probably in '99 or 2000. With my fear of heights and financial limitations, it took a while to start leading on gear. I put a rack together and started leading in 2001.

pbnjonny

Oct 17, 2007, 11:31 PM
Post #34 of 55 (1442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had gym climbed for about a year and became friends with a lot of the people there, Then for spring break we went out the RRG and I started leading sport there. First lead was a 5.8, second was a 5.10b that I fell trying to clip the anchor. Just started leading trad recently, so about a year and a half for that.

chossmonkey

Oct 18, 2007, 12:19 AM
Post #35 of 55 (1431 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As soon as I got enough gear to lead. Probably a couple of months.

AltitudeJunkie

Sep 6, 2008, 12:41 AM
Post #36 of 55 (1295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been climbing for about 15 months.
I learned sport climbing technique (clipping and stuff) 5 months later.
This past May i was climbing 5.8/5.9 TR (still am actually).
My first leads were about 10 1/2 months after I started climbing.
First sport lead: Slabalito, 5.7, Red River Gorge.
First trad lead: Kate's 1st Trad Lead, 5.1, Red River Gorge.

From what I gather it seems like people start leading sport and trad within the first 3-9 months of climbing. Maybe I'm wrong.

The guy who owns the gym i used to climb at said that you shouldn't start leading trad for at least 3 years after you start climbing. I'm not sure I agree with that seeing as how many people are learning to lead within the first year.

Partner angry

Sep 6, 2008, 12:53 AM
Post #37 of 55 (1281 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AltitudeJunkie] When did you start leading? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My first lead was a 5.5 bolted slab on my second day climbing.

Within a few weeks of that, I'd led a handful of easy trad routes. Within a year I was leading 5.7-5.9 (not clean but surviving) cracks several each outing.

lofstromc

Sep 6, 2008, 2:08 AM
Post #38 of 55 (1249 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] When did you start leading? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My first lead was a sport climb - about 3 months after I started climbing - probably under 5.9. I honestly don't remember.
My first trad lead was either The Eye at Joshua Tree or White Maidens Walkway at Tahquitz. I don't remember this to clearly either. This was probably a year after climbing and leading sport routes up to 5.10

Maddhatter

Sep 6, 2008, 2:17 AM
Post #39 of 55 (1243 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lofstromc] When did you start leading? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I top roped, followed and cleaned up to 5.10 trad in gym shoes and a webbing harness before I got my first set of real shoes and harness and started leading!! LOL

Might be ok starting a bit sooner then I did!Wink

deltav

Sep 6, 2008, 2:37 AM
Post #40 of 55 (1232 views)
Shortcut

Re: [AltitudeJunkie] When did you start leading? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

AltitudeJunkie wrote:

From what I gather it seems like people start leading sport and trad within the first 3-9 months of climbing. Maybe I'm wrong.

The guy who owns the gym i used to climb at said that you shouldn't start leading trad for at least 3 years after you start climbing. I'm not sure I agree with that seeing as how many people are learning to lead within the first year.

He is not totally full of it. The idea is to build a solid foundation before moving into something that requires a considerable amount of skill and understanding over TR, even sport really.

shockabuku

Sep 6, 2008, 3:04 AM
Post #41 of 55 (1219 views)
Shortcut

Re: [deltav] When did you start leading? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

deltav wrote:
AltitudeJunkie wrote:

He is not totally full of it. The idea is to build a solid foundation before moving into something that requires a considerable amount of skill and understanding over TR, even sport really.

Yes, he is totally full of it. He's what's wrong with climbing today. Check it out - people used to start their climbing careers trad climbing. Because that's all there was.

Started lead climbing (sport) the first week I met somebody else who had the gear at a place it could be done. Toproped about a dozen times before that, never with climbing shoes.

Followed two trad leads in the next couple of months, climbed for a couple of months in the gym, and did my first trad lead a total of about 8 months after my first sport lead. I think it was Second Coming, 5.7, at Looking Glass.

Lazlo

Sep 6, 2008, 4:15 AM
Post #42 of 55 (1196 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shockabuku] When did you start leading? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My partner and I started climbing at the same time. We learned TR, and immediately started advancing. We both read Freedom of the Hills and John Long's Anchors cover to cover. We climbed slabby sport and plugged nuts any time we had a place we could stick one...then we'd test them on TR. Some blew. Some didn't. We learned quickly. Every climb schooled us. Every clip and every placement meant something. We had no mentors...there aren't enough climbers around here. We just asked anyone and everyone questions. And we tested everything as we went.

First lead: 5.8 after four months

andrewG

Sep 6, 2008, 5:34 AM
Post #43 of 55 (1178 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Had been climbing about 5 weeks, mostly indoors, lead an indoor 5.7. Was TRing .9s clean.
First outdoor sport lead was a 5.7, still TRing 5.9/easy 10s. Had been climbing around 3 months.
First trad lead was a 5.7. Had been following occasionally for around 9 months. Probably followed 20-30 pitches before leading and could TR .9/.10-.

dondada

Sep 6, 2008, 10:03 AM
Post #44 of 55 (1154 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

started climbing this past november, lead my first route(5.9 sport-stu boy@wheeler canyon)in june i think(6-7months). i was climbing solid 5.8 ish in the gym but always seem to be able to climb harder outside im not sure if the gym route setters are sandbagging where i've been or im just that good at going off route. i havent lead trad yet but im building a rack and i feel like i could lead a 2-3 pitch 5.7 if i had gear. my next big hurdel is taking a fall on a single piece i placedUnsure

Gmburns2000

Sep 6, 2008, 10:34 AM
Post #45 of 55 (1151 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

xtremst80 wrote:
How long were you climbing for before you started leading? One year? Two year? And at what grade were you climbing?

Very first climb, in fact (a very easy, short 4+(ish) route in a grungy quarry in Scotland in January - technicalities aside, I'd call it a scramble walk-off today Tongue). However, after that I did most of my early leading in the gym, probably a few months after that first climb. First serious lead outside was about six months later.

tomcat

Sep 6, 2008, 2:10 PM
Post #46 of 55 (1132 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Gmburns2000] When did you start leading? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There were about six toprope climbs where I started in Pennsylvania.After we did those a few times we did like one mock lead,and set off leading trad.

I had never followed a trad lead and only witnessed a few.

On ice there were no topropes available,so started out leading ice day one.

time2clmb

Sep 6, 2008, 3:48 PM
Post #47 of 55 (1112 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tomcat] When did you start leading? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My first lead was a sport lead, a few months after I started climbing. My second lead, and the next several leads were on gear shortly after.

Partner oldsalt

Sep 6, 2008, 3:58 PM
Post #48 of 55 (1111 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tomcat] When did you start leading? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is one of those issues where there cannot be a single answer (obvious to anyone reading the thread). My gym had bolts on 5.7 and up and an excellent climbing director who assessed individuals instead of setting arbitrary rules. I was leading Sport within my first year, but it took longer to get enough experience with gear.

I followed my climbing partner (Jimmy) on some routes as he practiced what he had learned from professional guides. One day he pushed me out on the sharp end waited to catch me, but he didn't have to.

I think you begin any new step in climbing when you decide that you are going to do it, and you act on the decision. If your gym is one of those that is caught up on grades, get outdoors and climb with people you meet out there. You can tell in an instant if you are watching a competent, safe climber or an idiot.

Go do it!

currupt4130

Sep 7, 2008, 2:11 PM
Post #49 of 55 (1093 views)
Shortcut

Re: [oldsalt] When did you start leading? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I got into the climbing club here at Va Tech and went with them on a trip to the RRG. Got out there and didn't know the first thing about ropes. I didn't own a harness, an ATC, and didn't know how to tie an 8. Learned how to belay the first day, started leading the second day. I think my first lead was Pogue Ethics (5.9). Then I took a 30 foot whipper trying to clip the anchors on Creep Show later that day (5.10d)

saxfiend

Sep 7, 2008, 9:34 PM
Post #50 of 55 (1075 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I started leading sport in the climbing gym about two months after I started climbing, and outdoors about two months after that. I'd been climbing a little over eight months when I did my first trad lead. By the end of my first year of climbing, I'd done my first multi-pitch trad lead. It felt like a good progression to me.

JL

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook