RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

superbum

Oct 19, 2007, 11:56 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1336 views)
Shortcut

BD haulbags VS Metolius
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey...I am very interested saving some $$$ on a haulbag so I have been looking at the BD touchstone ($134) BUT I do want the thing to last and I've heard Metolius has the market on durability (I'd get the Quarter Dome, $189).

Is Durathane really that much more bomber than 38oz Vinal coated nylon? Also the BD bags have a cinch closure (no lid flap, or roll-up system) that would (in theory) let in some water. Any ideas on modifying it? Would the 2liter knot protector shed enough h2o to the side??

Also, how about Fish? Homemade, but cheaper...

What would you get??

Partner holdplease2

Oct 20, 2007, 12:14 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1327 views)
Shortcut

Re: [superbum] BD haulbags VS Metolius [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Superbum:

I always use Metolius bags, but am giving FISH a try and am very happy with the quality so far.

The BD material is no where near as durable, based on looking at my partners bags and the recent complaints from my parner who works at the Mountain Shop in Yos.

The closure system to keep out water is nice, but reality is that water can still get in. The key here is to keep your stuff in plastic bags or dry bags if it really must stay dry and don't buy a haul bag that doesn't have a drain hole.

I can only say I hope you're kidding about the knot protector thing...otherwise, the serious answer is it won't make a hill of beans difference.

Don't count on your haul bag to keep emergency gear dry. Some wear holes, enough wind, or an over-stuffed pig will make the dry bag closure irrelevant more often than not.

If you really want to make your pig last, line the inside with corrugated plastic or a foam pad...but preferably not the one you plan to use to sleep on, as putting it in and pulling it out is a significant pain in the ass.

I have never lined my pig, and never will. This takes toooo much spac.e But my Metolius bags have held up like champs.

-Kate.

climbingaggie03

Oct 20, 2007, 1:24 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1310 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Most of the new haulbags I see in camp 4 are black diamond. Most of the old haulbags I see in camp 4 are metolious. I want to buy a Fish bag. Confucius say more people get tired of aid climbing before their haulbags wear out, check ebay to save some cash.

moof

Oct 22, 2007, 6:57 PM
Post #4 of 6 (1257 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

BD: Ne experience, but the consistent comments from prior owners is that they are pretty easy to wear holes in.

Fish: Mine has been wear well, and the cost was low. If you take good care of it, odds are very very good you'll reture from big wall climbing before you wear it out. The suspension is functional, but about the least comfy of all the options.

Metolius: The material is really impressive. The price is really horrific. You can buy 2 fish bags for the price of one metolius. The metolius bags are also very heavy, at least 2-5 lbs heavier than Fish for the same capacity. Bring more water instead.

Old TNF Grade VII: No longer made, but it is my "big" bag. Material is OK, but I much prefer to bring 2 medium bags instead of one big one. Smaller bags carry better, and are far better for digging stuff out of. By time you have a ~36 in tall bag it is a MAJOR chore to dig things out of the bottom at a hanging belay.

Color: Get a White or at least light colored bag. Odds are pretty good you'll be doing more walls in warm sunny weather than cold icky weather. In warm weather it sucks to have a dark bag that makes your water tepid, and melts your snickers. In cold cloudy weather the color is irrelevant.

(This post was edited by moof on Oct 22, 2007, 7:08 PM)

superbum

Oct 27, 2007, 1:40 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1184 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey thanks y'all! I will prob. get a fish bag...but any other opinions/experience still welcome!

Partner holdplease2

Oct 27, 2007, 7:52 AM
Post #6 of 6 (1168 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Superbum - There are small, medum and large haul bags on ebay right now...including a nice sized small fish. Search on "Haul Bag" or something...

:)

-Kate.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook