RSS FeedRSS Feeds for International

Premier Sponsor:

Steve_Fitz

Oct 25, 2007, 4:33 PM
Post #1 of 12 (1476 views)
Shortcut

Climbing in Bangkok NOW?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just arrived in Bangkok and will be here for about 3 months. I will need to stay here in the city for most of the time, so I'm looking for places to climb and people to climb with. If you are interested, or even know about the local climbing seen, I'd love to hear from you.

As much as I'd like to head south for the "good stuff", it isn't an option right now Frown

Thanks,
Fitz

teak

Nov 9, 2007, 8:17 AM
Post #2 of 12 (1444 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Steve_Fitz] Climbing in Bangkok NOW? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey mate I pm'd you give me a shout.
Jim
08 4333 0152

guangzhou

Nov 13, 2007, 12:59 AM
Post #3 of 12 (1430 views)
Shortcut

Re: [teak] Climbing in Bangkok NOW? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

teak wrote:
Hey mate I pm'd you give me a shout.
Jim
08 4333 0152

I would love to know someting too. I often get Job offers in Bangkok, but i turn them down because there's not climbing in the area.

Cheers

Steve_Fitz

Nov 13, 2007, 1:30 AM
Post #4 of 12 (1427 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] Climbing in Bangkok NOW? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Surely SOMEONE out there knows of more than just the couple gyms to climb at in Bangkok, there must be something like a stone wall or an overpass or something???

Thanks for the response Jim, I'll meet up with you today at 1pm.

Fitz

guangzhou

Nov 13, 2007, 7:44 AM
Post #5 of 12 (1424 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Steve_Fitz wrote:
Surely SOMEONE out there knows of more than just the couple gyms to climb at in Bangkok, there must be something like a stone wall or an overpass or something???

Thanks for the response Jim, I'll meet up with you today at 1pm.

Fitz

Steve,

From what i understand, there's not mjuch in the area. Of course, I hear that often and don't believe it till I check things out for myself.

I am currently in Indonesia (Surabaya) and I was told nothing here. In three months I from sevral cliffs, some up to 600 meters and have established a few routes.

best bet, ask the locals when you arrive. Cab drivers, bus driver, anyone who is moving around the countryside. Someone will have seen cliffs and will let you know.

Worked for me in Okinawa, SOuthern China, and now Indonesia.

Steve_Fitz

Nov 13, 2007, 10:46 AM
Post #6 of 12 (1421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks, I'll do what I can, but without being able to speak the language it makes it a little tough.

Thanks,
Fitz

jesso

Nov 13, 2007, 11:24 AM
Post #7 of 12 (1419 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There is definitely climbing around Bangkok! I've lived here for the past 3 months and I've been to Lop Buri, Mak Lek, and Kao Yoi. They're not awesome, but they're not bad either. There's sport climbing and even some multipitch in Lop Buri. I hear there is also some bouldering around which I haven't scoped out yet. Check out simonfoley.com. There's some really great information there. Ask Richard, the guy in charge of that forum. There's a small group of expats and Thais climbing somewhere near Bangkok every weekend. Also, you can meet up with people at the Big C Lad Prao wall.

Steve_Fitz

Nov 13, 2007, 12:22 PM
Post #8 of 12 (1416 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jesso] Climbing in Bangkok NOW? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Jesso :)

I met and climbed with Jim at the Big C this afternoon, so things are starting to look up, but it also made me realize just how much I've lost having not climbed for the past 7 months Frown. I'll take a look at Simon's site as soon as I get a chance.

Thanks Again,
Fitz

guangzhou

Nov 15, 2007, 6:15 AM
Post #9 of 12 (1383 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jesso] Climbing in Bangkok NOW? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jesso wrote:
There is definitely climbing around Bangkok! I've lived here for the past 3 months and I've been to Lop Buri, Mak Lek, and Kao Yoi. They're not awesome, but they're not bad either. There's sport climbing and even some multipitch in Lop Buri. I hear there is also some bouldering around which I haven't scoped out yet. Check out simonfoley.com. There's some really great information there. Ask Richard, the guy in charge of that forum. There's a small group of expats and Thais climbing somewhere near Bangkok every weekend. Also, you can meet up with people at the Big C Lad Prao wall.

I would love a contact email. I am an International School teacher and bangkok always has positions open.

Steve_Fitz

Nov 15, 2007, 1:50 PM
Post #10 of 12 (1375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been climbing with Jim twice now at Big C, I think we'd both love to get on some real rock, but we also realize we both need to work on the plastic stuff a little more before we are ready. We don't have a regular schedule yet, but you are more than welcome to join us. Shoot me an email if you are interested. sfitzmorgan@yahoo.com

Thanks
Fitz

BTW - I got a chance to look at simonfoley.com, it says that the climbing options IN Bangkok really are pretty limited :( Thanks for the lead though, there is a lot of good stuff there :)

rickeden

Nov 19, 2007, 2:36 AM
Post #11 of 12 (1329 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi Steve.
I don't know the Jim you climb with, but we go out most Sundays to Lopburi, Kao Yoi and Muak Lek. My house is opp Big C Lad Prow. I drive and there is usualy room in the car. We also climb at Ramken heng Studium at the wall there. As its 15 metres high and over hangs a lot more.

Steve_Fitz

Nov 19, 2007, 1:46 PM
Post #12 of 12 (1324 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rickeden] Climbing in Bangkok NOW? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll have to take you up on that offer, but I just started working with one of the local Habitat for Humanity chapters and it looks like I'll be kept pretty busy for the next couple weeks. I will call you as soon as I get some free time.

Thanks Again, and I will be in touch :)
Fitz

Forums : Climbing Partners : International

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook