RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

johngo

Nov 1, 2007, 6:31 AM
Post #1 of 10 (2196 views)
Shortcut

Tip - Gamma lid for your wall buckets
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Wall rats – Are you using a 3 or 5 gallon plastic bucket for wall food, and killing your ragged fingertips every time you try and yank off the darn lid? Take a tip from river runners and try a “Gamma lid”. A Gamma lid is a two-part lid that snaps on the top of a 3 or 5 gallon plastic bucket. The first bit is an O-shaped plastic ring that is pressed-fit onto the rim of the bucket. This ring has threads on the inside. The second part is the actual lid, which threads into the ring. You simply unscrew the lid with a few twists. It’s waterproof, and takes just seconds to open/close. I have used one on my wall bucket for years, as well as a poor man’s drybox on river trips for food storage. Cost: about 8-9 clams. For free food grade buckets, try the bakery of most any large chain food store. Many river outfitters sell gamma lids as well. See the links below for pix.

http://www.google.com/products
search on < gamma seal >

Wind at your back,
Johngo

ptpp

Nov 1, 2007, 6:37 AM
Post #2 of 10 (2189 views)
Shortcut

Re: [johngo] Tip - Gamma lid for your wall buckets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ooh! Cool idea to keep your Wheat Thins and Pop-Tarts from getting crunched. Have any photos of your setup? I don't get it.

flint

Nov 1, 2007, 9:16 AM
Post #3 of 10 (2172 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ptpp] Tip - Gamma lid for your wall buckets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ptpp wrote:
Ooh! Cool idea to keep your Wheat Thins and Pop-Tarts from getting crunched. Have any photos of your setup? I don't get it.

Screw on lid, just like you water bottle or jar of mayo...

Whats not to get

j-

johngo

Nov 1, 2007, 2:27 PM
Post #4 of 10 (2119 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flint] Tip - Gamma lid for your wall buckets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, what Flint said. It's a screw on lid, not a pry off lid. A few more modifications are:

1) A 3 or 4 loop "daisy chain" tied of cheapo parachute type cord inside the bucket. for clipping Important Stuff onto. Knot on outside of bucket. Maybe add a few hardware store keychain biners already clipped to daisy loops is you want to go deluxe.
2) 1" tubular webbing to back up the normal bucket handle. Drill 2 holes on side of bucket, thread webbing thru holes, tie knot in webbing on inside of bucket to hold it in place.
3) A keeper cord is mandatory for the top of the bucket. I use about 2 feet of 4mm cord.

I will post a photo soon.
johngo

johngo

Nov 1, 2007, 2:31 PM
Post #5 of 10 (2114 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ptpp] Tip - Gamma lid for your wall buckets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

PTPP!?!?!?

"Holy frig", is it really you?

With only a few posts?? Has the Prodigal Son returned? If so, welcome back!!

You have sure taught me enough over the years, and I'm quite happy to return the favor.

Partner holdplease2

Nov 1, 2007, 3:35 PM
Post #6 of 10 (2094 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Pete, if you had a wall bucket there'd be no more of the..."Don't step on the North Face pig because...um...your phone is in there!"

You know, I think you need just one more catch line....just one...and this one you CAN hang at my ledge height!

:)

-Kate.

johngo

Nov 1, 2007, 5:33 PM
Post #7 of 10 (2057 views)
Shortcut

Re: [holdplease2] Tip - Gamma lid for your wall buckets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, here's some photos:

(This post was edited by johngo on Nov 1, 2007, 5:35 PM)

Partner holdplease2

Nov 1, 2007, 5:38 PM
Post #8 of 10 (2047 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

How 'bout drill a little drain hole in the bottom, for water that gets in through the keeper and daisy hole or seeps in thru the top?

Pete, you could put your wheat thins in ziplocks...

-Kate.

climbingaggie03

Nov 1, 2007, 5:38 PM
Post #9 of 10 (2045 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used gamo lids this summer at my camp trips program, my trip leaders loved them, and they really worked well. We were using them on rivers and they were waterproof so I as long as you don't wear any holes in your bucket or lid it should be good on a wall too.

ptpp

Nov 1, 2007, 6:17 PM
Post #10 of 10 (2027 views)
Shortcut

Re: [holdplease2] Tip - Gamma lid for your wall buckets [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kate is a true Wall Rat. On the Ranch this spring, I was killing a box of semi-crushed donuts. She probably stood on them when they were packed on the top of my North Face pig.

"Would you like a donut, Kate?"

"Nah, too many calories."

A day or so later when the box was empty, I was about to chuck the crumbs, and Kate screams in horror. "Wait, I'll eat those!"

"What?"

"Doncha know? There aren't any calories in crumbs." She finished a bunch of my Pop-Tarts this way too, in the same way any Wall Rat would go for the crumbs.

Kate likes to bivi on an extended [dedicated] Bivi Rope, hanging ten feet below me or so. She also docks her pigs down there so they're within her reach. While this substantiallyl reduces the clusterfuckage at the bivi, it does pose some problems when peeing, but since I never heard her complain, I guess I got lucky with the wind most of the time. But there is a paradoxical aspect to the bucket - while I would lose less food to crumbling, the thought of it dangling on a Catch Line right in front of her Wall Ratty Nose, with Wheat Thins easily accessible, is disturbing indeed.

I like the bucket, the waterproofness might be handy. It's better if you can find a way to rig the suspension cords from the inside out to avoid wear. Either that, or duct tape the livin' bejeepers out of 'em. [Have you tested the wall worthniness of the handle? Will it last?] Wear on the straps won't be a problem on the steeper walls, where the thing just dangles. The ultimate test would be a haul up the fixed ropes to the base of the Heart, where it drags the whole way. [I learned not to put big cams in an empty rope bag while hauling this]

Great job with the annotated photos, dude. Mucho appreciado. I love "fake-oh" carabiners for my lighter wall bags, but I'll use a real crab on heavy bags like beer.

Great idea on the internal daisy, too.

Definitely put some drain holes in the bottom!

Cheers,
Pete

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook