RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

meanandugly

Oct 26, 2007, 1:46 PM
Post #1 of 7 (1669 views)
Shortcut

Rattlesnake accidents
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was informed through the grapevine that in the past couple of months there was two accidents at Rattlesnake. One with the boyscouts involving rock fall and no helmet and the other with the military and a dropped climbed. Does anyone have any info on these incidents.
Thanks

jumpingrock

Oct 26, 2007, 4:07 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1595 views)
Shortcut

Re: [meanandugly] Rattlesnake accidents [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

These accidents sounds alot like a couple of accidents that happened several years back.

kevinwaldock

Oct 26, 2007, 4:26 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1576 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jumpingrock] Rattlesnake accidents [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb in the milton area lots and havn't heard any news of any accidents this season. Which grapevine did you recieve yer "news" from? last accidient in the milton area was at nemo last season injury and no fatilities. Athough i do think it's important to reasearch accident reports so we can try and not make the same mistakes. just me 2 cents.

Kevin

granite_grrl

Oct 26, 2007, 4:28 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1573 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jumpingrock] Rattlesnake accidents [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like accidents that happen every year on the escarpment. I used to get a lot more reports when my friends used to get out and climb at Rattlesnake more often, but they gave me a number of reports of rock "fall" and the sort.

I didn't know you came on here any more, Randall. Hope you're doing well.

Edited to add to Kevin: you have no idea how many accidents happen every year on that bloody rock band, do you? Two summers ago there were actually two people who had really bad lead fall accidents on the escarpment, one at Buffalo and one at Nemo. This year the biggest accident that I know about was the huge hunk of rock being pulled off at Nemo on Harlequin and landing on someone’s head (the last update I had on him was a few months ago, I hope he's recovering well).

(This post was edited by granite_grrl on Oct 26, 2007, 4:40 PM)

chossmonkey

Oct 26, 2007, 7:33 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1504 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Rattlesnake accidents [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think there are far more 'accidents' than people hear about at the Milton Cliffs.

meanandugly

Oct 27, 2007, 2:10 AM
Post #6 of 7 (1429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeh, I still come here, but just read some threads and go away. Hope your doing well...new topouts and bouldering cave at peaks.
The incidents I talk about came from a reliable source and I was just wondering if anyone else knew anything about them.

kevinwaldock

Nov 1, 2007, 1:59 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1275 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Shitty deals, although i think the last reported injury on this site (though i don't get on much) was a fall at nemo last summer. But really when i think about it what can we expect, our home area is a choss pile, chunky precambrian limestone.
However with all accidents (climbing, at home/work) there is usally a sequence of events that lead to an accident not just the accident it self.
How as climbers can we be more proactive about things like rock fall? is it as simple as a forum to report loose rock and a crew to take it down safely, or informing more climbers about the obvious dangers and what to do? It's pretty tough to say if not impossible to acheive. But one things for sure we can do better then nothing (yeah team!!!) let's brain storm some ideas to become more proactive before we all have to read another accident report. Because eventually property managers (halton, grey, bruce) will take notice and won't be so enthuseastic about taking on the liability that comes with accidents. so lets brainstorm some ideas.
Sorry for the lateness of my reply i've been occupied with trying to make tin foil and boxes look like a cylone. Cheers

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook