RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

superbum

Oct 20, 2007, 12:01 AM
Post #1 of 16 (4854 views)
Shortcut

Minitraxion VS Protraxion
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

me again...ok, hauling single 70liter (or smaller) bags...have used and old "wall hauler" in zion and loved it...looking at the Minitraxion or protraxion (petzl) Do I need the extra burlyness of the pro? Has anyone here broken a mini hauling pigs??

stymingersfink

Oct 22, 2007, 4:46 PM
Post #2 of 16 (4800 views)
Shortcut

Re: [superbum] Minitraxion VS Protraxion [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you plan to ever do a Grade VI climb, get the Protraxion. The larger sheave size will make it an easier haul for the heavier loads involved in serious multi-day endeavors.

If you're never going to have to body-haul, you just need a load capture device for 30-40 lbs worth of gear for an easy Grade V, go with the Mini.

Remember, everything you can do with the Mini you can also do with the Pro. The reverse is not necessarily true.

I've got two of the Pro-Traxion... they have proven themselves worth every penny of the purchase price.Smile

moof

Oct 22, 2007, 7:43 PM
Post #3 of 16 (4770 views)
Shortcut

Re: [superbum] Minitraxion VS Protraxion [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I own both, but frankly I've never ended up using the mini. It's pully is WAY small. Either get a full Pro, or get a straight pulley and use it with your other ascender (as with light bags you will only be body hauling or leg hauling, and never space hauling).

A $20 pulley would be more efficient for hauling than the mini. Some argue that even the $40 CMI ball bearing pulley would be better than the Pro-traxion, but I've never tried it.

Why buy a mini then? The mini would be perfect for the following things, which is why I originally bought it:

1. Zip line. Trail one 7mm line instead of your 10mm haul line, and be able to resupply anywhere on the pitch (including not having to carry anchor building gear, hauling device, and even some of the rack). The mini would be the perfect lightweight all in one hauler to leave attached to your harness to bring up 0-20 lbs of gear up mid-pitch. We've always jettisoned the zip line while packing, as we already have too much weight.

2. Backup while jugging fixed lines, such as with a 3 man team. If the light is too tight for a gri-gri, and you'll never need to let out slack, it is great backup device for jugging fixed lines, and you'll never notice it along the way.

lambone

Oct 24, 2007, 11:16 PM
Post #4 of 16 (4727 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moof] Minitraxion VS Protraxion [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Moff, to add to your post...

Another good use for the mini is to use it as a "Far-End-Hauler" on the bag end of the line.

Like shown here:
http://www.mountainproject.com/...r_rope_bag/106048103

I also use it on the tag line to do a mini-haul before hauling the big load.

For a smaller bag the mini-trax works fine. The only thing that bothers me about it is that you have to take it off the anchor to get the rope in and out.

(This post was edited by lambone on Oct 24, 2007, 11:18 PM)

ptpp

Nov 1, 2007, 5:53 AM
Post #5 of 16 (4596 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lambone] Minitraxion VS Protraxion [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow, buddy did a nice job illustrating the Far End Haul over on the other website, eh?

Mini-Trax is great to wear when you're the leader and you are zipping up gear mid-pitch, or cordelettes and hauling devices and the top of haul line(s) at the end of the pitch. Also great on the Far End Haul. Ok for hauling light loads.

The Pro-Trax is an overpriced piece of junk with serious design flaws. Tom has talked about them over on McTopo. I've destroyed two on the wall, have personally seen one other failure, and read of other failures. You might be OK if you're not hauling really huge loads. The problem is that if the thing is torqued at all, it gets buggered.

For only a few bucks more, you can get the amazingly better and very strong Kong Block Roll, with a much bigger pulley, better bearings, and hugely easier to haul. The thing is emphatically The Shit. Great device, unfortunately the damn supplier is terrible at getting the things over to North America. I've had a half-dozen on backorder since the summer, when they told me they would have them! [They now say Nov 15, so we shall see]

Don't buy a Pro-Trax. Better to buy a nice big 4" pulley with sweet bearings, and use your own inverted ascender. Just hang your ascender on a wired stopper, not a sling, to reduce stretch.

Cheers,
Pete

(This post was edited by ptpp on Nov 1, 2007, 10:46 PM)

Partner holdplease2

Nov 1, 2007, 3:43 PM
Post #6 of 16 (4566 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ptpp] Minitraxion VS Protraxion [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A good job, but not great. He has the hauler device set above the swivel and the slack side of the rope clipped in below it.

This means the pig can swivel about 6 times before the rope becomes hopelessly twisted around, well everything.

-Kate.

ptpp

Nov 1, 2007, 7:14 PM
Post #7 of 16 (4528 views)
Shortcut

Re: [holdplease2] Minitraxion VS Protraxion [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Oops, I missed that bit. Batgirl is right. What a mess you'd be in if your pig rolled across a slab to come into plumb with the hauling station above.

Anybody know how to remove those annoying lines through my post above? I don't get it!

stymingersfink

Nov 1, 2007, 10:25 PM
Post #8 of 16 (4497 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would find it most difficult to believe that you of all people have overlooked the

Code

in your post. All you really need to do is close your
tag somewhere appropriately.

click the quote button and look at the tagging. It's how I learned...

from your old stuff (when it was still new). The new format isn't nearly as much fun, but then things always change, don't they?

I haven't seen you around these parts since, well, a long time. Things going well over on the supertaco, or perhaps just returning to the old haunts so soon after halloween?
Wink

ptpp

Nov 1, 2007, 10:48 PM
Post #9 of 16 (4493 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Minitraxion VS Protraxion [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Geez, that's a hella trick. Writing in invisible ink, eh? Lemon juice? Hold it under the lamp to read it?

Yeah, the forum didn't like my square brackets around the letter "s" - funny it didn't show up on the preview.

Anyone know how to insert a hyperlink? I have no clue.

the_climber

Nov 1, 2007, 11:06 PM
Post #10 of 16 (4483 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's all here man, just scrole down and read

(This post was edited by the_climber on Nov 1, 2007, 11:06 PM)

off_course

Nov 7, 2007, 3:28 AM
Post #11 of 16 (4422 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] Minitraxion VS Protraxion [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've used both the mini and pro on different walls. I haven't had an issue with either one. I used the mini on Prodigal Son in Zion last. It was a two man team with about 70+ pounds of gear give or take. No problems hauling this load by myself using body weight. The device is built to hold loads much heavier than this. I think the mini is great for speed ascents of big walls where you will be hauling in a speed bag.

Partner gunksgoer

Nov 7, 2007, 4:06 AM
Post #12 of 16 (4406 views)
Shortcut

Re: [off_course] Minitraxion VS Protraxion [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

For any wall the pro traxion is so much better, imo. To me the biggest difference between the two is the fact that the pro doesnt have to be unclipped from the anchor to have the rope threaded through. This sounds minor but it simplifies life a ton. After finishing a long and exhausting aid pitch the last thing i want to worry about is juggling the hauler - with the pro traxion the top biner gets clipped into the haul point, the front swings open, the rope goes in, the cam locks down, and youre in business. The larger radius is also nice. Definitely worth the extra money.

munky

Nov 7, 2007, 12:28 PM
Post #13 of 16 (4377 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gunksgoer] Minitraxion VS Protraxion [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is a little bit off topic but has anyone used the pro or mini to self belay either top rope or leading. I've only climbed a few walls and have used the traditional pulley and ascenders method but would like to get something more efficient. Sounds like the pro is a great tool to have when hauling. But, i've been working alot of hard routes for me lately on sport and single pitch gear in which I would like to be able to work moves without having to burden a belayer. Does anyone know whether I can use the pro or mini in this capacity?

moof

Nov 7, 2007, 7:38 PM
Post #14 of 16 (4320 views)
Shortcut

Re: [munky] Minitraxion VS Protraxion [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Top roping with the mini works, and I believe is even mentioned in the pamphlet that comes with it (http://en.petzl.com/...itrax_P07600-F_W.pdf page 3, diagram 4). I wouldn't do it with the pro, specifically due to the swing sides (the pro's pamphlet does not mention self belay, and I think this is why).

Better yet, use the gri-gri with your backpack weighing down the loose end. Unlike the traxions, you can readily rap off at any point without having to figure out how to unweight he rope, or having to rig a second device. I recommend using a maillion rapide quick link as your biner to prevent crass loading fears.

(This post was edited by moof on Nov 7, 2007, 7:44 PM)

stymingersfink

Nov 8, 2007, 2:42 AM
Post #15 of 16 (4297 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moof] Minitraxion VS Protraxion [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

moof wrote:
Top roping with the mini works, and I believe is even mentioned in the pamphlet that comes with it (http://en.petzl.com/...itrax_P07600-F_W.pdf page 3, diagram 4). I wouldn't do it with the pro, specifically due to the swing sides (the pro's pamphlet does not mention self belay, and I think this is why).

Better yet, use the gri-gri with your backpack weighing down the loose end. Unlike the traxions, you can readily rap off at any point without having to figure out how to unweight he rope, or having to rig a second device. I recommend using a maillion rapide quick link as your biner to prevent crass loading fears.
agree with the grigri assessment, as it will work for both TR and roped solo-leading. I would specifically recommend AGAINST leading with any kind of toothed device as a belay.

The pro-traxion would work for a TR solo device, provided the hole in the bottom of the device is clipped with an additional locker (just let it hang, don't clip it to anything else) to prevent the side plate from swinging open. Still wouldn't recommend it though... the grigri is the best option all the way around, IMHO (and IME).

johngo

Nov 10, 2007, 4:38 PM
Post #16 of 16 (4216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm with Dr. Piton.
For wall hauling bigger loads, go old school and use a stout 4" pulley with a inverted ascender hung from a large stopper wire (no stretch). The larger diameter wheel will ease your hauling and you'll save some $$$ besides.

Having said that, I used a mini trax on a 1 day climb of Moonlight Buttress to haul a small bag of under 30 lbs, and it worked great.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Big Wall and Aid Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook