Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

thomascrown

Nov 2, 2007, 12:30 AM
Post #1 of 39 (3274 views)
Shortcut

Is it legal to carry-on a rope?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am traveling to AUS in 44 days (but who's counting), and I want to carry-on my rope in my rope bag. My rope bag has no metal parts. Has anyone done this recently? Legal...illegal? I can always check-it, but this way would really help with the packing of my luggage.
Thanks....

stevej

Nov 2, 2007, 1:06 AM
Post #2 of 39 (3246 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thomascrown] Is it legal to carry-on a rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My recent trip to france taught me that nothing is implicitly legal anymore on a plane. Not even cheese. I'm not fucking joking. So if only terrorists bring cheese as carry-on, same thing with ropes. After all, you could blow up the plane with whatever you hid in your ass and that rope you've got...
Do yourself a favor, and put it into your checked baggage, each of those baggage checkers has the "authority" to arbitrarily refuse any item according to their whim, and no amount of arguing about it will help your case.

jgivens

Nov 2, 2007, 1:22 AM
Post #3 of 39 (3219 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Flying from Budapest to Munich I had no problem with my rope in my carry-on bag, but going home, in the Munich airport, they made me check it. They got all suspicious and asked what it was, when they saw it on the Xray. They just put it in a plastic bag, and said I would get it back. Didnt make me too happy.
So...you never know. Id check it.

(This post was edited by jgivens on Nov 2, 2007, 12:04 PM)

Myxomatosis

Nov 2, 2007, 1:46 AM
Post #4 of 39 (3194 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jgivens] Is it legal to carry-on a rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jgivens wrote:
Flying from Budapest to Munich I had no problem with my rope in my checked bag, but going home, in the Munich airport, they made me check it. They got all suspicious and asked what it was, when they saw it on the Xray. They just put it in a plastic bag, and said I would get it back. Didnt make me too happy.
So...you never know. Id check it.

Ive flown with my rope in my check bag. I got a really funny look on the way out and on the way back I got the "do you climb?" and i nodded... No problems

But this was not in the USA

shaggy67

Nov 2, 2007, 1:54 AM
Post #5 of 39 (3183 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've flown from Socal to Denver twice this year with a pack full of Cams and Stoppers as well as shoes and harness and was only asked what they were for. I'm glad I didn't say it was a dis-assembled mace or something.Wink

retardo_montelbahn

Nov 2, 2007, 2:02 AM
Post #6 of 39 (3170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I did from Oregon to Las Vegas to Austin to Oregon with 20 quickdraws a pair of shoes and my harness, and nobody asked any questions.

c4c

Nov 2, 2007, 2:06 AM
Post #7 of 39 (3168 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shaggy67] Is it legal to carry-on a rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just flew to utah with a carry-on filled with my rack. They did a physical search and checked out my nut tool but totally missed the knife that I had clipped to my harness. I checked my rope. I figured that I could replace my rope if my bag got lost but not my entire rack. Technically there is nothing on the tsa website that would indicate that rope is not allowed but they do give them a lot of discretion/power.

ja1484

Nov 2, 2007, 2:38 AM
Post #8 of 39 (3134 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I JUST flew back from Arizona last Saturday. I took my rope on in my carry on, which was my climbing/trekking pack, on three flights. I never had trouble once.

As for the metal parts of the rack, those got sent USPS with insurance. They will *not* let you on a plane with a #11 BD Hex. At least, they didn't when I tried.

(This post was edited by ja1484 on Nov 2, 2007, 2:39 AM)

the_chris

Nov 2, 2007, 5:42 AM
Post #9 of 39 (3061 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I suggest to not carry in any climbing equipment on a carry on, I almost got in trouble carrying my harness and quickdraws on my carry on and I had to explain how I couldn't fit it in my bag. My advice is avoid it.

twan

Nov 2, 2007, 6:07 AM
Post #10 of 39 (3044 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The only place I had a problem was in the UK specifically Gatwick Airport in London... I wait over an hour for their security line after double checking with the check in lady, and the security people say I have to go back and check it, or forfeit it. So I checked it in the rope back and put all the rest of my stuff into a trash bag and carried that on.

glytch

Nov 2, 2007, 6:09 AM
Post #11 of 39 (3042 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thomascrown wrote:
I am traveling to AUS in 44 days (but who's counting), and I want to carry-on my rope in my rope bag. My rope bag has no metal parts. Has anyone done this recently? Legal...illegal? I can always check-it, but this way would really help with the packing of my luggage.
Thanks....

I don't know about foreign airports, but I've flown many times in the past year or so (on avg probably one trip a month) and each time I've had my crag pack stuffed full of my rope, trad rack, draws, shoes, harness, etc, as a carry-on. It's obviously an outdoor bag (osprey vertigo 25). I also clip my helmet to the outside, and warn the guy watching the X-Ray machine that I'm about to send climbing gear through. in the 20+ flights with this strategy, I've had the bag searched once (Knocking on wood!), and it was pretty mild - the agent opened the bag, saw the rope and how tightly the bag was packed, and asked me to zip it back up after looking at a couple of biners. no problema (knocking on wood again). I don't have to worry about my stuff getting thrown around or lost, and I don't have to wait for anything at baggage claim. Definitely the way to go, though it does make for a bit of a slog through the terminals.

G

bill_in_tokyo

Nov 2, 2007, 8:04 AM
Post #12 of 39 (3011 views)
Shortcut

Re: [glytch] Is it legal to carry-on a rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you'll be making a plane change to a domestic flight within Australia, I'd say check it. Last time I flew into Sydney with a change to a domestic flight to Dubbo, they made me pull the ropes from my carry-on and check them.

In general, I just check all my climbing gear these days, regardless of where I'm flying. Knock on wood, I've gotten everything back every time, so far.

(This post was edited by bill_in_tokyo on Nov 2, 2007, 8:05 AM)

wiwin

Nov 2, 2007, 8:10 AM
Post #13 of 39 (3003 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

they took my slings from carry on baggage! don't put any climbing gears in your carry on bagge for the flight to AUS ...put them in your chekc in baggage!

corson

Nov 2, 2007, 10:26 AM
Post #14 of 39 (2958 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the rope should be fine.it is legal to carry it on the plane.like all air travel throughout the world now you are subject to the rule of 6 dollar an hour ego's.so if you are hasseled about the rope ,oh well.with that said,gear(cams and nut and draws)are gennerally a no go.sewn goods are ok.The int weight limit on quantas is 70lbs and you get two bags per person.You should be able to get all your gear /clothes in there.I personnally would not want to carry on my rope on that flight,espessially if it is the quantas midnight flight out of LAX.You will have to clear customs in Sydney/Melbourne,so whatever airline you are flying might put your checked baggage throught to your final destination.Much eisier than carrying a 10 lb rope around the airport.The flight is about 14 hrs too.so I would rather have luxeries on the plane.like a pillow i pod books etc.Also the doller is weak and the aussie doller is strong right now.Take all that you will need for your trip,stoves etc.As it will be super expensive to buy there.You will have to buy a bunch of bolt hangers when you get there anyways to hang on the stupid aussie "carrots". The climbing there is great,especially if you love sandstone.have fun!!!!!
sorry for the spelling its 5am and idgaf.
cheers

Partner epoch

Nov 2, 2007, 11:21 AM
Post #15 of 39 (2936 views)
Shortcut

Re: [corson] Is it legal to carry-on a rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.tsa.gov/...rohibited-items.shtm

At the above link you will find the items that TSA will not let you bring in the cabin, as well as the items that you will have to check, as well as the items that you should not under any curcumstance bring at all.

The only climbing related item that anyone would have to check is those pesky ice axes.

I always check my ropes. However, I always hand carry my rack, harness, and shoes. Ropes can be found anywhere for the same reasonable price. I love my ratty frayed harness, and my shoes are well broken in.

Maybe I should write an article. I seem to answer this a bunch.

LarryHorwitz

Nov 2, 2007, 12:47 PM
Post #16 of 39 (2882 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] Is it legal to carry-on a rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Every time I fly to El Potreo I carry on all of my gear (except for the knife). I don't usually get the gloved search...although last year they did bring over an "engineer" so I could describe what all of those "metal things" were for. Took the rope too. I don't trust the luggage monkeys with my expensive stuff...besides if they lose it / steal it / keep if for national security the trip is shot....or there is a big fat new charge on my credit card for stuff I already own!

Oh, and I usually take my cams on too when I'm headed west.

climbingaggie03

Nov 2, 2007, 1:27 PM
Post #17 of 39 (2855 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know about down under, but I've flown all over the states with my rope and rack in my carry on and aside from some bag checks, I haven't had any problems, I dunno about the land of the backwards flushing toilets though...

jklap

Nov 2, 2007, 2:28 PM
Post #18 of 39 (2789 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've always carried on my full trad rack (nuts, hexes, cams, slings, lots of biners), harness and rope in the US. I have always checked my nut tool and harness knife though.

I've also always told the Xray operator climbing gear was coming through-- a couple of times I got the 'yeah, so what' look, but have never had the pack pulled and opened.

As someone pointed out earlier, it's not illegal to carry any of this on, it's just a bit of a crap-shoot on the personnel working security that day. While I've never had a problem, if they ask me to check my rope or gear, I'm certainly not going to argue just cause I've gotten through before, it's not worth the effort. Sad though that they harass people about a rope and knives are still making it through...

Partner alexmac

Nov 2, 2007, 2:31 PM
Post #19 of 39 (2786 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingaggie03] Is it legal to carry-on a rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I myself preshipped my rack when climbing out west to Calgary with FedEx. Insured and safe so I thought, I had requested a signature on arrival but they failed to notify me that a stick on the mail box would count as a signature.

I arrived to find my gear sitting on the door step of my cousin and some old fedEx signature sticker he was not aware of on the mail box.

My checked bag had alpine axe, trekking poles and other bits that shipped were spotted in xray of my pack. Got the look, and I laughed, said yep expected that look going climbing, it was passed.

thomascrown

Nov 2, 2007, 5:59 PM
Post #20 of 39 (2685 views)
Shortcut

Re: [alexmac] Is it legal to carry-on a rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have checked the TSA web site and it looks like the closest item I could find to cams/nuts/hexes are "tools". Tools under 7" in length are permitted to be carried-on. They also suggest that you carry on any expensive "reels or rods" for fishing. I am thinking that I will try to carry on as much of my rack as possible, but get to the airport early enough that if they do make me check it, i will have time to make any necessary adjustments.
Any more specific info going to AUS? It is in fact the midnight flight to MEL from LAX.

Partner pitonboy

Nov 2, 2007, 6:35 PM
Post #21 of 39 (2647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Have gone to Denver, Spain and France over the past year carrying a full rack and draws; the bag was always opened for direct inspection but then passed through. The amount of metal in the rack makes it hard to see anything else in the bag. I did not want to ship it overseas and the rack cost far more than the ropes.

thedejongs

Nov 2, 2007, 6:36 PM
Post #22 of 39 (2647 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Being in Kansas means we travel with gear a lot. Climbing gear is not specifically mentioned in TSA material one way or the other. This means that the local security checkpoint jockey has total discretion. You shouldn't have any problem with a rope or soft goods. Just like one of the respondents above, I always tell the X-ray folks right before I put my bag on the conveyor that "I've got a bunch of climbing gear in there so it's going to show up pretty funky on your screen." Once you tell them that, 90% of the time they won't give you a second glance. The other 10% of the time, they'll want you to open up your bag. Don't forget to pack your knife in a checked bag. If you pack the bag tight enough, they usually get discouraged and stop looking. I've never tried carrying on any pro larger than a #3 C4. Heading out of LAX, you shouldn't face any more problems than a domestic traveler will (it's all the same TSA folks). Can't speak to your return trip. Do yourself a favor, though, by making sure that you have an extra bag stuffed in your carryon so that you can transfer/leave your gear to/in a sturdy bag if they make you check it and can carry the rest of the stuff on in the other bag.

Partner gamehendge

Nov 2, 2007, 6:45 PM
Post #23 of 39 (2629 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Flew to Thailand from LA last March. I had rope and a set of draws in my checked-in luggage which was a small Metolius haul bag.. The even scanned it in front of me. No probs.

louisiana_climber

Nov 2, 2007, 8:07 PM
Post #24 of 39 (2558 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i recently did dallas to frankfurt to copenhagen, and carried my rope on in my metolius haul bag with no problem. i also did dallas to santa anna with no problem. i think that friendliness goes a long way with most airport employees, too though.

dtew

Nov 3, 2007, 5:16 AM
Post #25 of 39 (2455 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stevej] Is it legal to carry-on a rope? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stevej wrote:
My recent trip to france taught me that nothing is implicitly legal anymore on a plane. Not even cheese. I'm not fucking joking.

Some brie, was that it?

That's not so much a security thing but an USDA thing.
The French are purists with their cheeses and make it the way it's been done for centuries. The US is all about protecting you from your bad self, and have various rules about how you must make and process a piece of cheese if its aged for a certain number of days. In this case the French forego a US-mandated Pasteurization, so the US considers said piece of cheese dangerous, nevermind that enthusiasts agree that the only correct way to make brie is the French way, and the American way strips US-market brie of any real taste.

Yes, I want some cheese with this whine.

(This post was edited by dtew on Nov 3, 2007, 5:21 AM)

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook