Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Indoor Gyms:
Attention Students: College Rock Gyms....
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Indoor Gyms

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

iceclimberbryan

Jun 27, 2002, 3:46 PM
Post #51 of 72 (6129 views)
Shortcut

Attention Students: College Rock Gyms.... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Idaho State University- This school has an outstanding gym with a 30 foot ceiling which is free to students. I graduated years ago, but if you are looking for the best kept secret as far as a rock climbing school this is it. There are two basalt crags within five minutes of the university that offer nearly 200 sport and trad routes. The City of Rocks is about two hours away to get your granite fix, and the Tetons are about two hours away to get your Alpine Fix. Massacre Rocks is about 30 minutes from the University and offered over 600 sport routes when I went to school there, and I think the total is close to 1,000 sport routes now. The climbing community is small, laid-back, and highly motivated.

lakevetsrule1

Jun 27, 2002, 3:56 PM
Post #52 of 72 (6129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

University of Wisconsin-Lacrosse.

We have a gym in the REC center and also a wall(American Gladiator style) in the field house. The gym is great. It has a bouldering cave, a nice crack and an unlimited number of routes and holds. Not sure on the square footage but it is big. Also, Grandad's Bluff is a five minute drive or bike from campus and Devils Lake is about a two hour car ride. Lots of great climbing in Lacrosse.

mozea

Jun 27, 2002, 4:26 PM
Post #53 of 72 (6129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Furman University in Greenville, SC has a nice indoor facility. Nice layback wall with 4 different faces and several different taped routes ranging from 5.7 to 5.11b. I work there during the school year and the atmosphere is nice and relaxed. Costs nothing and it always a good time. It's only open to students and faculty, but there are two other indoor gyms (Rocks and Ropes and Urban Crags) less than 10 minutes from campus. Also some nice outdoor climbing within an hour or two in NC and GA, as it is illegal to climb outdoors in SC. I love the area for its climbing, but this is by no means a plug for Furman. Too close minded - head somewhere liberal and free! But that's a topic for another discussion. Climb on! Peace and good tidings, Matt

tarzan420

Jun 27, 2002, 4:57 PM
Post #54 of 72 (6129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, up north at UAF (university of alaska - fairbanks) we've got a wall, put up in the last 3 years i think (last year was my first.). The TR section is about 30 ft high and 50-60 ft wide, just holds on cinderblocks. THe bouldering section is plywood overhangs.... When i left in may, we had just recently cleaned the wall, and routes were being set again, so the routes are very varied. There's several crags in the vicinity, 1 to 1.5 hours drive (in AK that's close.).

quickclips

Oct 14, 2002, 2:55 PM
Post #55 of 72 (6129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ohio University has a pretty nice one. Its only four ropes but there's quite a lot of diversity on the rock.

thatstoohigh

Oct 14, 2002, 3:28 PM
Post #56 of 72 (6129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey the University of Maryland Wall and College Park is great. hell it was written up in World News Report for campus jobs. routes ranging from 5.6 - 5.12a. and bouldering cave is really great, (where i spend most of my time).

monkeyarm

Oct 14, 2002, 4:04 PM
Post #57 of 72 (6129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Towson University has a brand new wall it is just finishing up on being built that will open in January, and the old wall which wasn't half bad has been being used for bouldering.

tinytom51

Oct 14, 2002, 4:54 PM
Post #58 of 72 (6129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have climbed at the gym at Iowa State and it has an awesome overhang for bouldering but otherwise its nothing too fancy. The University of Iowa also has an old raquetball court converted into a gym but I have yet to climb at it. I have heard good things. I also have a pair of climbing partners that helped in the building of the wall at University of Northern Iowa and they think it is the best thing since sliced bread. But they haven't had any time to go up and show me what is so spiffy about it. Maybe this winter.

Is the wall at Luther College open to the public?

[ This Message was edited by: tinytom51 on 2002-10-14 09:55 ]

superdiamonddave

Oct 14, 2002, 4:55 PM
Post #59 of 72 (6129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

OSU in Stillwater, Oklahoma.

wanlessrm

Oct 14, 2002, 5:07 PM
Post #60 of 72 (6129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Missoula, MT has two kickass climbing gyms> Who needs a gym when you in the middle of the mountains!

jono

Oct 14, 2002, 5:43 PM
Post #61 of 72 (6129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wahington state has a gym, its ok but there is real rock not far.
jon

col_sanderz

Oct 14, 2002, 6:25 PM
Post #62 of 72 (6129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ya, Lake... the UWL gym is pretty nice. Theres a new Health and wellness center(indoor track, tennis courts, raquetball, climbin wall...) goin up here at UWS and is planning to be pretty sweet. 40' walls with nats, overhangs, slabs and so on. Im excited for it to open. I think Nicros is doing it but im not exactly sure. But climbing around here is big. VE, UMD climb center, palisade head, and lets not forget the ghetto bouldering located right in the middle of town. Plenty to keep the average climber busy.

hyzenthlay

Oct 14, 2002, 6:30 PM
Post #63 of 72 (6129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The University of California at Davis (someone mentioned it earlier, I thought I'd elaborate) has a climbing wall in the rec hall. I climbed there once a month for about a year before I joined the rock gym in town (Rocknasium). Davis is a smallish town and everything is accessible easily by bike. Both gyms have 20-25 foot walls and have great staffs. The Rec Hall wall is closed until Jan. '03 however, so most people have joined the Rocknasium in the meantime.

As far as outside climbing goes around here, there's Cosumnes River Gorge about an hour away, Tahoe a little over an hour away, and, of course, Yosemite, a little over three hours away.

rockjock04

Oct 14, 2002, 7:22 PM
Post #64 of 72 (6129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What about BYU in Provo UTAH? I tried looking for a course catalog, but I cant link to their page .

Do they offer climbing classes their? I dont think an indoor gym would matter much. there sure is plenty outdoor. so I here . I wanna learn serious, but I want to learn for free.

scrappydoo

Oct 14, 2002, 7:48 PM
Post #65 of 72 (6129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Univ. of Colorado:

I can't believe no one has mentioned this school. There is an indoor wall about 30'and two more rock gyms in town. There is also Eldo Canyon 10 minutes away, and Boulder Canyon (5 mins), Flagstaff (bouldering: 10 minutes), and Longs Peak. Plus, there are too many climbing places to mention within 2 hours, and then Indian Creek/Moab, the Wind Rivers, and the Tetons are all reachable for the weekend. The winters are mild enough that you can boulder and climb south-facing routes year round.

inf11b

Oct 30, 2002, 5:27 AM
Post #66 of 72 (6129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sacramento State has jack on campus, but we've got 2 huge gyms nearby and we're about eqaul distance between tahoe, yosemite, and the california beaches with some lesser known climbing areas (but still great rock) about a half hour from here... beat that
Brian

gdeveney

Oct 30, 2002, 5:57 AM
Post #67 of 72 (6129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

at my school....the university of delaware we have a small gym.....its short and small but when u are in a state with literally no climbing you take what you can get.

rockjunky

Oct 30, 2002, 6:46 AM
Post #68 of 72 (6129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I would just like to add that the rec center at Arizona State is in the proccess of adding a rock wall. IT's in the works!
yeah

coloradoclimber

Oct 30, 2002, 7:02 AM
Post #69 of 72 (6129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

U.Northern Colorado has a small but nice wall. It has a nice roof in the back and good bouldering capabilities around. Although its east of the mountains its a short drive to boulder, estes park, rocky mountain national park and a weekend trip to anywhere in colorado and even wyoming( Wild Iris).

oneballjay

Oct 30, 2002, 8:03 AM
Post #70 of 72 (6129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I go to the great school called Washington State University. The wall is not bad but like someone else said there is real rock not to far away. they have a climbing comp. coming up I think.

texastechclimber

Oct 30, 2002, 11:19 AM
Post #71 of 72 (6129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Texas Techs Climbing wall is one of the largest indoor climbing centers in the Big 12, the Climbing Center has over 4,000 sq ft of climbing, a large free standing boulder, a full length crack, two small caves, a 10 foot roof section, 13 top-rope stations, 7 lead lines, and climbing routes geared from 5.6 - 5.13. The wall is about 65ft X 65ft, and its probably higher than anything else here in Lubbock. New routes are being set or changed out on a weekly basis. Its great and I cant keep myself from climbing almost everyday. Its a good thing that there is a great wall here cause Lubbock is the flattest place on the planet and the nearest place to climb is 4 1/2 hours away in New Mexico.

mshore

Oct 30, 2002, 12:55 PM
Post #72 of 72 (6129 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

New Hampshire - Boston

UNH or any University around Boston is a good idea. At UNH, there are gyms in the area and Cathedral ,Whitehorse, Pawtuckaway, Rumney, shoot - climbing all over the white mountains and most of it within one hour from school. Great place to live and climb.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Indoor Gyms

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook