Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

sgauss

Nov 11, 2007, 7:54 PM
Post #26 of 62 (2851 views)
Shortcut

Re: [matterunomama] Jason Kehl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Sick is in the eye of the beholder:

True story. When I was in college the campus radio station would run their public affairs programming on Sunday nights. One sunday night they brought in a psychologist who was talking about stress coping mechanisms. A friend of mine, who was a psych major, called in to talk about our favorite coping mechanism, the groups ritual abuse of a group member's Kermit the Frog doll. The psychologist reacted by calling it sick!

camplicated

Nov 11, 2007, 8:21 PM
Post #27 of 62 (2833 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Valarc] Jason Kehl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Valarc wrote:
andypro wrote:
Einstein was HORRIBLE at math...failing his way up throughout nearly his entire educational career!

Einstein was horrible at math class, not horrible at math. In fact, he invented entirely new types of math in his development of relativity.

in his biography, Einstein was supposed to have laughed when he heard people thought that he was bad at math. He was actually really good at math and math class in highschool, but only in the university did he end up towards the bottom of his class (mostly because he found the work uninteresting, didn't attend many lectures, and ticked off a professor)

end of historical public service announcement

jakedatc

Nov 11, 2007, 8:29 PM
Post #28 of 62 (2830 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sgauss] Jason Kehl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Also, don't you think that he's smart enough to know that his hair, dolls etc gain him publicity and recognition anywhere he goes. Which for a sponsored climber is THE thing they are looking for. There are lots of people who can pull hard.. there are only a select group that can live 100% off of climbing

bolderer

Nov 11, 2007, 9:55 PM
Post #29 of 62 (2787 views)
Shortcut

Re: [starkcontrast] Jason Kehl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

starkcontrast wrote:
jason is unique in his style, but so was jesus. actually, 2000 years ago, jesus must have looked really weird to everyone else. i mean, what the hell was a blonde, eastern european dude doing in the middle east dragging a cross around for? all those north africans must have been like, "damn that cracka needs a tan"! now that guy jesus, he was the weirdo. jason seems pretty damn normal in comparison to him, and jason doesn't make me feel guilty about every little thing i do wrong. nor does he tell me who to hate or who is damned to hell. i don't even think i can count ten things jason has told me "thou shall not do". instead he simply inspires more of us to be indiviuals instead of herds of sheep. so i think i like jason better than i like jesus. see you in hell.

that is the funniest shit i have read on this website in a long time. um, also, who cares about what Jason Kehl looks like, wears etc. i really only looked at the post cause i knew you would start a shitstorm...

i personally set the style trend at my local area.

bizarrodrinker

Nov 12, 2007, 12:35 PM
Post #30 of 62 (2743 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rossyy007] Jason Kehl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually I met him in Squamish a couple summers ago and he seemed like a really chill and good guy.

You my friend do not seem so nice, and I have never met you.

frddull

Nov 12, 2007, 1:15 PM
Post #31 of 62 (2722 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bizarrodrinker] Jason Kehl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Jason is a really nice hard working guy. If you look through magazines you'll see he has alot of published photos, he has a clothing line.
The real problem is people like Obie Carrion. Now he just upright sucks. In the latest Urban climber mag he's bitching about lack of money and wha wha wha. THis chump hasn't done anything in the climbing world. Not for nuthen but he top out sending v12 which is good but, shite, so many people send harder than this guy. Obe and Ivan, both top my shit list.

fitzontherocks

Nov 12, 2007, 2:12 PM
Post #32 of 62 (2704 views)
Shortcut

Re: [frddull] Jason Kehl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Kehl's cool. My only complaint is that he woke me and my kids when we were camping at Horseshoe Canyon. He and some other guy/girl came charging toward our tent on horseback. It was actually kinda funny, cause dude rides horses like a rag doll.

ant_zacchino

Nov 12, 2007, 3:08 PM
Post #33 of 62 (2674 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You guys should meet him before you judge him. He is a super nice and friendly guy.

bizarrodrinker

Nov 12, 2007, 3:55 PM
Post #34 of 62 (2656 views)
Shortcut

Re: [frddull] Jason Kehl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Obe is a douchebag and I know of lots of people that climb much harder.

Never met Ivan but I have never heard anything good.

sidepull

Nov 13, 2007, 5:18 PM
Post #35 of 62 (2576 views)
Shortcut

Re: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This thread is laughable.

I find it hilarious that so many people have offered this as their basic argument "Jason is nice, you're the jerk!" Okay, why should we believe you if you're as willing if not more so to judge and label someone as the people you condemn?

I've been to several Kehl slideshows, I've even watched him climb on several occasions. Sure, he seems like a relatively nice, quiet guy. In fact, I know a lot more "normal" looking trad climbers that are far more brash, loud, and abrasive than Kehl (most of them seem to camp in Hidden Valley and binge drink and yell until 3 AM - good news for early startsUnimpressed).

The point isn't that Jason's style equates to evil or that it means he's not a nice guy, it's a question of whether he's garnered his attention because of accomplishments or because of style. Every sponsored athlete has to project some image, even eschewing to actively control your image projects an image. In the case of Jason, he's actively choosing to pick an image that he knows will bother some people. Because of this, he's as much responsible for creating an image he knows will generate some degree of negativity.

It's odd that so many people claim that such an image demonstrates some level of individuality and creativity without acknowledging that choosing to construct a self-image as a reaction to societal norms is as much an acknowledgement of the power of those norms as unquestioned conformity.

In five years, no one will remember Jason Kehl for climbing anything, they'll remember that he was the dude with the outlandish hair that climbed a couple v11's in between awesome sends by Sharma and Tommy Caldwell on a couple of Dosage vids. It's all about image, and that's fine. Every sport needs a Dennis Rodman. It's the clowns in the carnival that help to keep the show interesting.

bizarrodrinker

Nov 13, 2007, 5:29 PM
Post #36 of 62 (2570 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] Re: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sidepull wrote:
It's odd that so many people claim that such an image demonstrates some level of individuality and creativity without acknowledging that choosing to construct a self-image as a reaction to societal norms is as much an acknowledgement of the power of those norms as unquestioned conformity.

This is purely speculation as I can only imagine that the two of you never had an in-depth discussion as to why he is the way he is. So you have no idea what drove his decisions regarding his style. If you have had said conversation okay.

Not to argue either way cause I don't know the guy further than the 5 minute conversation I had with him.

To add to your post...who will remember sidepull in five years/minutes...no one at all...less a few poeple here and those whose lives you impact on a daily basis.

the point not being that one person is better or worse than another. simply puy it is...who cares?

reg

Nov 13, 2007, 5:33 PM
Post #37 of 62 (2566 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] Jason Kehl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jakedatc wrote:
Also, don't you think that he's smart enough to know that his hair, dolls etc gain him publicity and recognition anywhere he goes......

yup - tha's it in my opinion - well said

reg

Nov 13, 2007, 5:37 PM
Post #38 of 62 (2560 views)
Shortcut

Re: [obe] Jason Kehl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

obe wrote:
you are messed up man..... hes more of a man and a gentleman than any of you guys or i will probably ever be..

sorry you think so little of yourself

mturner

Nov 13, 2007, 5:51 PM
Post #39 of 62 (2551 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bizarrodrinker] Re: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bizarrodrinker wrote:
sidepull wrote:

This is purely speculation as I can only imagine that the two of you never had an in-depth discussion as to why he is the way he is. So you have no idea what drove his decisions regarding his style. If you have had said conversation okay.

Regardless of why he picked the style he did, sidepull's comment still stands.

sidepull

Nov 13, 2007, 5:59 PM
Post #40 of 62 (2530 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bizarrodrinker wrote:
sidepull wrote:

You're right it is speculation, but it is speculation that is driven by a good deal of sociological and psychological theory. At the very least there is a well agreed upon foundation for my speculation.

bizarrodrinker wrote:
To add to your post...who will remember sidepull in five years/minutes...no one at all...less a few poeple here and those whose lives you impact on a daily basis.

I'd hope no one remembers sidepull, it's a dumb name on a forum. Will anyone remember me as a climber? Nope. However, in my given profession (which is the real point of comparison) I think I'll have a nice impact - so I'm happy.

hsvclimber

Nov 13, 2007, 6:05 PM
Post #41 of 62 (2520 views)
Shortcut

Re: [sidepull] Jason Kehl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I wonder how many people can even remember the early ads with him, back when he was more normal...

One length brownish hair, even dressed normal...

I didn't... I started seeing his new ads (and image) and thought who is this guy... then one day thumbing through an old mag, saw a cool ad (The one where he was hammering his hand to a ceiling beam) and thought who is that... read the caption and behold it was Mr. Kehl... I remembered the ad because I thought the ad was cool 5 plus years before (the first time I saw it) but didn't remember him...

But if he had done that ad with his new image... I'm sure I'd remember both the ad and him...

bizarrodrinker

Nov 13, 2007, 6:22 PM
Post #42 of 62 (2491 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sidepull wrote:
bizarrodrinker wrote:
sidepull wrote:

You're right it is speculation, but it is speculation that is driven by a good deal of sociological and psychological theory. At the very least there is a well agreed upon foundation for my speculation.

bizarrodrinker wrote:

I'd hope no one remembers sidepull, it's a dumb name on a forum. Will anyone remember me as a climber? Nope. However, in my given profession (which is the real point of comparison) I think I'll have a nice impact - so I'm happy.

I agree with the statement as a sociological generalization.

What i don't agree with is using that statement as an explanation of the person in question without actually considering their true motive, which can only be done by asking them.

But I suppose then people like us wouldn't have anything to waste our days discussing.

To the second part...it seems as though feathers have been slightly ruffled which was not the intention of the comment. It was just an analogy.

I too will never be known for climbing...at least not on a global/national scale or even public at all for that matter which is just how I like it.

mturner

Nov 13, 2007, 6:33 PM
Post #43 of 62 (2470 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bizarrodrinker wrote:
sidepull wrote:
bizarrodrinker wrote:
sidepull wrote:

bizarrodrinker wrote:

What i don't agree with is using that statement as an explanation of the person in question without actually considering their true motive, which can only be done by asking them.

Reread sidepull's post, he never speculates as to the actual motive of the individual, but instead the outcome of the action.

sidepull

Nov 13, 2007, 6:35 PM
Post #44 of 62 (2468 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

biz,

don't worry, no feathers were ruffled.

regarding Jason's motives, I would argue that asking him isn't necessarily the best way to find out what they are, it's simply the best way to find out how he makes sense of what he's doing. it's perhaps more likely that he's rebelling against norms and recasting it as individuality than it is that his "image" is an expression of his true self. why? because extreme images are rarely built from within, instead they are reactions to something. read his web page and his rambles and see if you don't get that sense as well. at any rate, it's all arm chair theorizing and I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

that said, I'm still pretty convinced that if you subtract the hair cut, the goth image, his self-promotion, then no one would put Kehl in mags and movies - he just doesn't climb hard enough. His persona (authentic or reactionary, you decide) is far more interesting than his climbing.

paintrain

Nov 13, 2007, 6:36 PM
Post #45 of 62 (2465 views)
Shortcut

Re: [obe] Jason Kehl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you choose to try to make a living by putting yourself in the public eye, then you will get things like this written about you based on next to nothing. You will get many things said about you, but it comes with the way you choose to make a living.

Your response, though supportive of Kehl is pretty off the handle.

This whole thread is kind of a waste of time.

mturner

Nov 13, 2007, 7:20 PM
Post #46 of 62 (2427 views)
Shortcut

Re: [paintrain] Jason Kehl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

paintrain wrote:

I am shocked it made it to page two...someone kill this thing

Partner j_ung

Nov 13, 2007, 8:29 PM
Post #47 of 62 (2386 views)
Shortcut

Re: [paintrain] Jason Kehl [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

paintrain wrote:
If you choose to try to make a living by putting yourself in the public eye, then you will get things like this written about you based on next to nothing. You will get many things said about you, but it comes with the way you choose to make a living.

And what gets said about you will always be far more indicative of the gossipers' character than yours.

In reply to:

Kind of?! Tongue

cchildre

Nov 13, 2007, 8:42 PM
Post #48 of 62 (2367 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Kehl is great, IMHO.

I know that climbing is fashionable now days, so we all need to look cool at the crag. I love Kehl, but I don't think my reputation could stand being seen with him, the eyesore that he is. Unless he had some new Manpris on.

LMFAO.....Jason could paint himself blue, wear white, and parade around my crag as a smurf. Nobody would quaff, especially once he walked up everyones project. I bow to the superior skills, not the shirt and tie.

That said. If he offends you, which I could understand, growing up in the bible belt. You might be better served by simply ignoring him, don't buy the gear he promotes, and don't watch his videos. Stuff you probably are already aware of, and might be doing. The beauty of the free market :)

generationfourth

Nov 13, 2007, 9:20 PM
Post #49 of 62 (2340 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

sidepull wrote:
biz,

don't worry, no feathers were ruffled.

regarding Jason's motives, I would argue that asking him isn't necessarily the best way to find out what they are, it's simply the best way to find out how he makes sense of what he's doing. it's perhaps more likely that he's rebelling against norms and recasting it as individuality than it is that his "image" is an expression of his true self. why? because extreme images are rarely built from within, instead they are reactions to something. read his web page and his rambles and see if you don't get that sense as well. at any rate, it's all arm chair theorizing and I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

that said, I'm still pretty convinced that if you subtract the hair cut, the goth image, his self-promotion, then no one would put Kehl in mags and movies - he just doesn't climb hard enough. His persona (authentic or reactionary, you decide) is far more interesting than his climbing.

are you serious? http://www.urbanclimbermag.tv/...video=524&most=1

starkcontrast

Nov 15, 2007, 2:06 PM
Post #50 of 62 (2246 views)
Shortcut

Re: [generationfourth] Re: [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

a message came to me in my sleep last night concerning this post.
The demon Andras said that Jason had viewed this thread and after viewing it, Jason urged Andras and his legions to set forth a campaign of terror on earth. His wrath was not limited to the critics on this thread. In an effort to clense the world of useless life, Jason and Andras will purge the planet of their opponents starting with khaki wearing frat alumni; conservative right winged republicans, bible thumping rascists, anyone who ever had a "Friends" party, BMW drivers, people whith grocery cards, Bush supporters, Mccully Culkin, the panel on "The View", Micheal Jackson and his "Giving Tree", Ann Cultier, all the little kids who hang out at Barnes and Noble dressed up as Harry Potter, office jockeys who post on rockclimbing.com while at work, but complain they never see construction guys doing anything, culpulsive hand washers, and anyone who wears athletic socks at a mid shin height (soccer players are excluded unless they fall under another category). This was the only information Andras provided. He left no details of how they will do this or when the campaign will begin. I am only a messenger.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook