RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

scienceguy288

Nov 17, 2007, 2:34 PM
Post #1 of 12 (1303 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Shoes Conversion
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey. Although it may seem like a stupid question, I was just about to buy my first pair of climbing shoes. What is the conversion from like US sneaker size to US climbing shoe size? In other words, if I wear a size 10 sneaker, what size climbing shoe would you recommend? Thanks. Also, would you buy them used (rather than new) and if so then where? I hate buying things online as sometimes they don't fit right etc. so I feel much more comfortable going to a store and actually trying the things out. By the way, I live in Western NY

(This post was edited by scienceguy288 on Nov 17, 2007, 2:36 PM)

binrat

Nov 17, 2007, 3:21 PM
Post #2 of 12 (1282 views)
Shortcut

Re: [scienceguy288] Climbing Shoes Conversion [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

So go to a store and try some shoes on. Some say that 2 sizes down are required, some shoes stretch, some don't. Talk to the staff at the store. If the store is good they will have a small wall so you can feel the shoe while vertical. Western NY, not sure about a store close to you. Are you close to Niagara Falls? then maybe take a trip north to Toronto and the MEC.

climbingaggie03

Nov 17, 2007, 3:32 PM
Post #3 of 12 (1276 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some people I know wear shoes that are 2 full sizes below their street size, I wear size 9 tennis shoes, and size 9 climbing shoes (all 4 pairs different brands and models) but when I'm buying a new pair, I start at a 9 and go from there different models fit differently and so you just have to try some on, or order several pairs and send back the ones that don't fit.

moose_droppings

Nov 17, 2007, 6:41 PM
Post #4 of 12 (1241 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

scienceguy288 wrote:
Hey. Although it may seem like a stupid question, I was just about to buy my first pair of climbing shoes. What is the conversion from like US sneaker size to US climbing shoe size? In other words, if I wear a size 10 sneaker, what size climbing shoe would you recommend? Thanks. Also, would you buy them used (rather than new) and if so then where? I hate buying things online as sometimes they don't fit right etc. so I feel much more comfortable going to a store and actually trying the things out. By the way, I live in Western NY

Different models within the same company have different fits and sizes for the same size foot, and this also varies from company to company. Best bet as usual is to try them on first. But if your like me, there's not many choices to try on around here, then start with your shoe size and be prepared to pay to return them for a different size. Now if you've got a specific model and brand in mind, maybe someone thats got that shoe could give you a better guess as to sizing them.

nhluhr

Nov 18, 2007, 2:52 AM
Post #5 of 12 (1184 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

please, for the sake of local business, if you do go to a store and spend their time piquing their brains and trying on their merchandise, DO buy the product from them (even if it costs a little more) instead of just going back home and ordering whatever you liked online.

Local businesses almost always charge more for the products they sell because they have to pay for the convenience factor of bringing the product to you to hold, look at, try on, etc before you buy. The least you can do as a customer is return the favor buy supporting local business.

jbc

Nov 18, 2007, 7:05 AM
Post #6 of 12 (1160 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am guessing that you are wanting to know what your METRIC shoe size is as opposed to how to actually fit the shoes. A US size 10 translates to about a 43.5 or 44 in a metric shoe. since you do tend to size rock shoes a little smaller you will probably wind up closer to 43 in most cases than 44, but this might give you an idea of where to start.

Jim Couch

scienceguy288

Nov 18, 2007, 4:04 PM
Post #7 of 12 (1126 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climbingaggie03] Climbing Shoes Conversion [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for all the help so far. It's just that I'm now having trouble finding a climbing outfitter store near where I live (Western NY).

joeygallagher

Nov 18, 2007, 4:08 PM
Post #8 of 12 (1124 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The best advice you can get if from yourself.
Try the shoes out on a wall, alot of employees are pretty thick, NOT ALL OF THEM. But I was told at an EMS that, "If I can stand, my shoes don't fit"

Im no climbing expert but I think that is an inaccurate piece of information haha.

jonzoclimber

Nov 18, 2007, 4:42 PM
Post #9 of 12 (1116 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing shoes are one of the most fickle and hard to figure out things out there. Ive gone through 7 or 8 of my friends getting into climbing and buying their first pair of shoes. Only 1 of them went undersized. I don't think they can appreciate the smaller fit since they have nothing to contrast it with, but I think the real issue is foot type. I'm a bit of a freak I guess because I wear a 41.5 euro size on all my la sportivas. My street shoe size is 11.5 US. That's a big difference, so.... the moral of the story is, you have to go try stuff on.
Sorry for this drawn out and unoriginal message.

carlos_a

Nov 18, 2007, 6:19 PM
Post #10 of 12 (1093 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jonzoclimber] Climbing Shoes Conversion [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Jonzoclimber holds a few really good points. First off I wear a 12 in running shoes and a 41.5 or 42 in all my la sportivas. Secondly a new climber will not appreciate a tight fitting shoe because they will not be able to contrast a good performing shoe to one that isn't performing well but they will be able to tell a shoe that hurts to one that doesn't. I say find a pair of shoes that fits snug but is definately comfortable. If you don't enjoy wearing your shoes, you wont enjoy climbing. After you've become addicted, then you can sacrifice comfort for performance, because then you will actually appreciate it.
Sorry for all the typing, so the short answer is, try on all the shoes you can and get the ones that feel the best.

Vinny_A

Nov 19, 2007, 2:37 AM
Post #11 of 12 (1054 views)
Shortcut

Re: [carlos_a] Climbing Shoes Conversion [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There is no set conversion really. I have a size 14 street shoe and wear a size 12.5 climbing shoe. Now another guy at the gym wears a size 11 street shoe and a size 11 climbing shoe. While one of the best climbers at the gym wears a size 12 street shoe and something like a size 9 climbing shoe. It all depends on the shoe and the person. But if your shoe is going to stretch get it a size smaller.

whirbl

Nov 26, 2007, 6:31 PM
Post #12 of 12 (962 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Vinny_A] Climbing Shoes Conversion [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

its just so different from shoe to shoe, let alone person to person. my feet are size 10, and my last shoes were 9 for climbing, and i just bought a pair yesterday where i mannaged to squeeze into a 7.5

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook