Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

full1346

Nov 18, 2007, 3:45 AM
Post #1 of 36 (3216 views)
Shortcut

carabiner abuse
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ive heard mixed opinions on this, so i want to hear some more insight... if i mistakenly drop a biner onto a rock surface, should i retire it because the shock might have messed up the biner's internal integrity? if i do drop it, how high is too high?

basilisk

Nov 18, 2007, 3:53 AM
Post #2 of 36 (3211 views)
Shortcut

Re: [full1346] carabiner abuse [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Last I heard, which was probably five years ago, if you drop a carabiner onto a hard surface from three feet or higher, it's recommended you retire it.

Do I? No.

full1346

Nov 18, 2007, 3:56 AM
Post #3 of 36 (3204 views)
Shortcut

Re: [basilisk] carabiner abuse [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ive also heard that from my friend who used to guide in colo. he said anything above the waist it was his companies policy to retire it. but ive also have a friend who said that was ridiculous. and ive also seen guys chuck a couple biners lashed to some webbing over the side of a ledge for a toprope... they didnt seem to mind

coastal_climber

Nov 18, 2007, 4:03 AM
Post #4 of 36 (3187 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What type of biner? I have special anchor biners that are used for anchors, nothing else. If I drop one of those, I would retire it. If I drop a extra biner, or a racking biner for a cam, I re-rack it.

Its your call.

>Cam

full1346

Nov 18, 2007, 4:05 AM
Post #5 of 36 (3185 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] carabiner abuse [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the last one i dropped was locker i used for belaying. it wasnt even a three foot fall, i dropped it from midthigh. is that too much anyway?

the_leech

Nov 18, 2007, 5:16 AM
Post #6 of 36 (3146 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

full1346 wrote:
how high is too high?

I'm glad someone finally brought up this question.

1.75 meters on a hard surface is the cut-off point.

That's not an arbitrary figure. That distance was determined through extensive drop testing conducted in 2005 and upheld following peer-reviewed analysis in early 2006.

If you trust your life to aluminum biners that have fallen more than 1.75 meters onto a hard surface, you are asking to die.

Personally, I wouldn't use any biners that have been dropped more than 1.65 meters. It's good to have a margin of safety.

ja1484

Nov 18, 2007, 5:45 AM
Post #7 of 36 (3127 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_leech] carabiner abuse [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the_leech wrote:

That's not an arbitrary figure. That distance was determined through extensive drop testing conducted in 2005 and upheld following peer-reviewed analysis in early 2006.

If you trust your life to aluminum biners that have fallen more than 1.75 meters onto a hard surface, you are asking to die.

Personally, I wouldn't use any biners that have been dropped more than 1.65 meters. It's good to have a margin of safety.

Until you link me to said peer-reviewed study, that's a decent troll you've got there, especially since previous testing suggested the opposite.

OP: Aluminum, especially as heat treated to construct climbing hardware, is a ductile material, meaning it bends or deforms with damage. Thus, if your carabiner has had its structure appreciably changed, it will either show deformation or a noticeable change in function (i.e. the gate action is sloppy where it wasn't before, or the gate won't close, etc.).

If the 'biner doesn't display abnormal signs it's safe to use.

Here's an interesting resource regarding this:

http://www.geir.com/mythbuster.html

(This post was edited by ja1484 on Nov 18, 2007, 9:05 PM)

moose_droppings

Nov 18, 2007, 5:55 AM
Post #8 of 36 (3119 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ja1484] carabiner abuse [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ja1484 wrote:
the_leech wrote:

Until you link me to said peer-reviewed study, that's a decent troll you've got there, especially since previous testing suggested the opposite.

OP: Aluminum, especially as heat treated to construct climbing hardware, is a ductile material, meaning it bends or deforms with damage. Thus, if your carabiner has had its structure appreciably changed, it will either show deformation or a noticeable change in function (i.e. the gate action is sloppy where it wasn't before, or the gate won't close, etc.).

If the 'biner doesn't display these signs it's safe to use.

Totally trolled dude.

lena_chita

Nov 18, 2007, 4:12 PM
Post #9 of 36 (3041 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the_leech wrote:
full1346 wrote:
how high is too high?

I'm glad someone finally brought up this question.

Your data is incomplete b/c it doesn't take into account whether the person dropping the carabiner was moving or stationary at the time the drop occurred. If the person himself was being dropped at the time that he dropped the biner, that biner would have had the starting speed that was not zero, therefore the ground impact would have been much harder.

I still think that 3 ft rule is much safer to adgere to--especially in America, where the cm to inch conversion might be difficult for most people.

vegastradguy

Nov 18, 2007, 4:26 PM
Post #10 of 36 (3030 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

full1346 wrote:
ive heard mixed opinions on this, so i want to hear some more insight... if i mistakenly drop a biner onto a rock surface, should i retire it because the shock might have messed up the biner's internal integrity? if i do drop it, how high is too high?

read ja1484's post- that would be the correct answer.

that said, if you ever feel uncomfortable about the integrity of any of your gear- cams, ropes, carabiners, draws, harness, whatver- retire it. the last thing you need is to be 1000' up, wondering whether or not some part of your system will fail if you fall.

knudenoggin

Nov 18, 2007, 8:56 PM
Post #11 of 36 (2936 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do a better search here, please--this has drawn some good contributions in the past.
The short answer to you for now is that rumors/etc. about dropping being dangerous
to 'biners is pure rubbish (and, no suprise, you'll find NO studies to show any damage;
you will find studies that show no damage, even to biners collected that fell 1_000' or more!).

*kN*

greenketch

Nov 19, 2007, 12:57 AM
Post #12 of 36 (2853 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

full1346 wrote:
ive heard mixed opinions on this, so i want to hear some more insight..., how high is too high?

The correct answer is: You are too high!
SmileSmile

toejam

Nov 19, 2007, 2:20 AM
Post #13 of 36 (2807 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can you cite any references for that Leech?

By "internal integrity" you probably mean microfractures. Search on that and you will find that
- it is a myth
- several rc.com members operate their own personal microfracture testing facilities. If you send them the equipment in question they will test it for you, and dispose of the equipment in an appropriate manner. If you would like to make use of mine PM me.

My understanding is that any significant damage from a fall should be detectable by a careful visual inspection. REI recommends you retire any gear that has been dropped over 20 feet, but they sell the stuff.

rocknice2

Nov 19, 2007, 2:27 AM
Post #14 of 36 (2796 views)
Shortcut

Re: [toejam] carabiner abuse [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

toejam wrote:
Can you cite any references for that Leech?

By "internal integrity" you probably mean microfractures. Search on that and you will find that
- it is a myth
- several rc.com members operate their own personal microfracture testing facilities. If you send them the equipment in question they will test it for you, and dispose of the equipment in an appropriate manner. If you would like to make use of mine PM me.

My understanding is that any significant damage from a fall should be detectable by a careful visual inspection. REI recommends you retire any gear that has been dropped over 20 feet, but they sell the stuff.

Leech you are THE Fisherman

flint

Nov 19, 2007, 2:29 AM
Post #15 of 36 (2792 views)
Shortcut

Re: [toejam] carabiner abuse [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Why is humor so hard to understand, damn... I would think that rock climbers are the most boring group of people ever if I didn't know better.

Still laughing with you leech, but I heard that if the biner hits your lace-ups with more than 8 eyelets than you are ok for another .33333m on your fall distance. If you climb velcroed or slippered than ignore the previous comment, hemp made - fair trade - bong resin shoes gain you another .25654m, just because they know you care on the inside...CrazyCrazyCrazy

j-

ja1484

Nov 19, 2007, 2:53 AM
Post #16 of 36 (2776 views)
Shortcut

Re: [moose_droppings] carabiner abuse [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

moose_droppings wrote:
ja1484 wrote:
the_leech wrote:

Totally trolled dude.

You can't be trolled when you call it out.

flint

Nov 19, 2007, 3:14 AM
Post #17 of 36 (2753 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ja1484 wrote:
moose_droppings wrote:
ja1484 wrote:
the_leech wrote:

Totally trolled dude.

Yep... trolled hard

j-

ja1484

Nov 19, 2007, 3:16 AM
Post #18 of 36 (2751 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flint] carabiner abuse [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

flint wrote:
ja1484 wrote:
moose_droppings wrote:
ja1484 wrote:
the_leech wrote:

Totally trolled dude.

Yep... trolled hard

j-

Do you really think that's going to keep working?

stymingersfink

Nov 19, 2007, 3:18 AM
Post #19 of 36 (2747 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

full1346 wrote:
if i mistakenly drop a biner onto a rock surface, should i retire it because the shock might have messed up the biner's internal integrity?
If you mistakenly drop 'biner onto a rock surface, you'd better hope her internal integrity is intact, else you risk having an ice-tool appendage performing a prostate exam on your ass, post haste!

full1346 wrote:
if i do drop it, how high is too high?
Unless I miss my guess, I'll bet 'biner has never been so high that she couldn't open a serious can of whoop-ass on someone so deserving.

Some things just should not be toyed with... Our 'Biner is one of them.Wink

full1346

Nov 19, 2007, 3:30 AM
Post #20 of 36 (2732 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] carabiner abuse [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i dont think i follow, fink ( i am gonna get ripped for this...). thanks for the insight guys and gals

ja1484

Nov 19, 2007, 3:31 AM
Post #21 of 36 (2730 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Unless I miss my guess, you should search users for "carabiner96"

toejam

Nov 19, 2007, 3:33 AM
Post #22 of 36 (2729 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, thats not fair. I wrote that late last night, but I spat out the hook and didn't post it. Then it posts when I reply to another thread?!?

Anyway, JDF is the real fisherman, the rest are just pretenders.

stymingersfink

Nov 19, 2007, 3:35 AM
Post #23 of 36 (2727 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ja1484 wrote:
flint wrote:
ja1484 wrote:
moose_droppings wrote:
ja1484 wrote:
the_leech wrote:

Totally trolled dude.

Yep... trolled hard

j-

Well, to not be trolled you would have had to continue creatively providing obviously worthless and probably inflammatory information, in a manner more subtle than the one which dangled the bait. Instead, you attempted to provide worthwhile information even after acknowledging that the_leech's bait was ffffffricken irresistible, so yes. You got trolled.

It's well known that the_leech is among the best, so don't feel bad about it. Afterall, he did post a humorously worthless response to a pretty piss-poor troll to begin with, and in doing so upped the quality of the initial troll by an order of magnitude.

EDIT to add:

Lena Chita's post was a great add... obviously she was continuing the troll by adding bait to the thread, meaning she was also a fisher, rather than a fisheeTongue

(This post was edited by stymingersfink on Nov 19, 2007, 3:39 AM)

ja1484

Nov 19, 2007, 3:42 AM
Post #24 of 36 (2715 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] carabiner abuse [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
ja1484 wrote:
flint wrote:
ja1484 wrote:
moose_droppings wrote:
ja1484 wrote:
the_leech wrote:

Totally trolled dude.

Yep... trolled hard

j-

Well, to not be trolled you would have had to continue creatively providing obviously worthless and probably inflammatory information, in a manner more subtle than the one which dangled the bait. Instead, you attempted to provide worthwhile information even after acknowledging that the_leech's bait was ffffffricken irresistible, so yes. You got trolled.

It's well known that the_leech is among the best, so don't feel bad about it. Afterall, he did post a humorously worthless response to a pretty piss-poor troll to begin with, and in doing so upped the quality of the initial troll by an order of magnitude.

EDIT to add:

Lena Chita's post was a great add... obviously she was continuing the troll by adding bait to the thread, meaning she was also a fisher, rather than a fisheeTongue

I beg to differ sir! You will clearly see in the quote you yourself use that I addressed my meaningful information to the OP through the clever use of "OP:" prefacing, thereby negating any relationship it may have had to the prior declaration of bait in the water!

(Are we really all this bored?)

(This post was edited by ja1484 on Nov 19, 2007, 3:43 AM)

stymingersfink

Nov 19, 2007, 3:51 AM
Post #25 of 36 (2702 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ja1484 wrote:
stymingersfink wrote:
ja1484 wrote:
flint wrote:
ja1484 wrote:
moose_droppings wrote:
ja1484 wrote:
the_leech wrote:

Totally trolled dude.

Yep... trolled hard

j-

EDIT to add:

I beg to differ sir! You will clearly see in the quote you yourself use that I addressed my meaningful information to the OP through the clever use of "OP:" prefacing, thereby negating any relationship it may have had to the prior declaration of bait in the water!
Then you deny that the OP was in fact not a piss-poor troll to begin with, and that the_leech merely putting some lipstick on a pig made it pretty enough that you felt ok to give it a kiss?

ja1484 wrote:
(Are we really all this bored?)
Evidently.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook