RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

Partner angry

Nov 23, 2007, 3:46 PM
Post #1 of 20 (5839 views)
Shortcut

Soft rubbery grip for ice tools?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just finished modding a pair of ice tools to go leashless. Brand isn't important as they are handmade.

Anyway, they don't have any fancy molded rubber or plastic bullshit on the grip. They are basically an oval piece of titanium with a clearance bend. The old grip was pretty much just a thin rubber sleeve shrink wrapped down to the handle. My thought is to put a sticky rubber mtn. bike grip there instead.

These are my #1 idea. These are sticky and way grippy. On a mtn. bike they give you blisters without gloves because they are too grippy.

I'd cut the little bit that sticks out on the end off and squirt some adhesive under the grip so it wouldn't move.

I think a really grippy grip on a leashless setup would be especially nice. Would there be any reason to stick with the harder slicker grip?

reno

Nov 23, 2007, 4:12 PM
Post #2 of 20 (5829 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Soft rubbery grip for ice tools? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You can also take your tools to a sports store that does tennis racket repair and have 'em wrap the tools with the same stuff used to replace grips on tennis rackets.

Soft, grippy, and easy on the teeth when doing the "Pirate Hold" during tool switch-over.

chossmonkey

Nov 23, 2007, 4:19 PM
Post #3 of 20 (5826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

As long as it isn't to squishy I don't know if it would matter. The one thought I get is that the handle will be too fat and make you pump out faster than a.....

Well maybe I better leave that to the imagination.

Even a thin pair of gloves can ad some to the pump so I try and use the thinest glove possible or go barehanded if it is warm enough. Having a handle that is to fat would suck. Having a handle that is fat and to rough for bare hands would suck even more IMHO.

I use this "Magic Tape" stuff on the upper of my Fusions. It is intended for fixing stuff (plumbing, electical, ect) and can usually be found in the tape section of the store. It really doesn't have an adhesive, but sticks to itself like magic and makes a comfortable nonskid grip. Use two layers for better durability. Its about $8 a roll, which should be more than enough to do two tools.

Another trick I have heard but never tried is using plasti-dip. To coat the handle then put rock salt into the wet plasti-dip. When the stuff dries you dissolve the salt with water making a nicely textured grip.

Partner angry

Nov 23, 2007, 4:31 PM
Post #4 of 20 (5821 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] Soft rubbery grip for ice tools? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good point, they might be too thick.

I think I'll still head over to the bike shop and just browse. Maybe something will catch my eye.

As far as the rubber tape. I've seen it used on the upper shaft of the tool with great success. So I might look into it.

The other thought is the trigger finger attachment. I climbed on these same tools last winter with the trigger and I really liked the feel. I didn't like the need to fully let go of the tool to shift your hand up. I guess that's why I'm looking into something sticky enough to avoid that extra piece.

stymingersfink

Nov 23, 2007, 4:56 PM
Post #5 of 20 (5809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
Brand isn't important as they are handmade...They are basically an oval piece of titanium with a clearance bend.

Um, I'd be curious to see the custom handmade titanium with a clearance bend tools of which you speak.

Gotta wonna these?

anykineclimb

Nov 26, 2007, 11:57 PM
Post #6 of 20 (5738 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Soft rubbery grip for ice tools? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Look around for Hockey tape. Be sure its not just black athletic tape either. the good stuff has rubber or some other sticky crap impregnated into it. Strangly the best I found was at home depot.

You could also try "xtreme tape" i haven't used it but its supposed to be pretty good stuff. Chossy's tape sounds like its the same stuff. you can get pretty colors here:
http://www.duluthtrading.com/..._keyword=xtreme+tape

similar stuff was found at home depot, next to the tape I bought.

Partner angry

Nov 27, 2007, 12:08 AM
Post #7 of 20 (5732 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anykineclimb] Soft rubbery grip for ice tools? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The more I thought about it, the more I decided I wanted a wrap. I haven't gotten anything yet, but it'll be that rubber cohesive tape. I'll spray the handle with adhesive before I wrap too, so it stays on well.

Other than that, this mod turned out AWESOME!!!

I'm going to put those trigger finger guards on it after all, I really like the grip with them. Anyone know where I can get some for less than $22 each though?

kiwiprincess

Nov 27, 2007, 12:34 AM
Post #8 of 20 (5717 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

That "magic tape" is called amalgamating tape over here.
I have put it up my Petzl Charlet Quark handles to extend the grip when i go leashless.. and it's great!

paintrain

Nov 27, 2007, 2:09 AM
Post #9 of 20 (5695 views)
Shortcut

Re: [kiwiprincess] Soft rubbery grip for ice tools? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The stuff is called "Mastic Tape". 3M makes one brand. The stuff I have comes in a blue box. You can find it at home depot at the end of the electrical isle. It is often used as a high end electrical tape.

It works really well. Is super water resistant and sticks like no ones business (I use a little trimmed piece of it on the bellows of my teleboots and it never comes off).

I haven't tried it, but there are some heat shrink polyoelefin wraps for electrical applications. They make it up to two inches in diameter. It might give you the least amount of thickness for the grip.

PT

stymingersfink

Nov 27, 2007, 3:18 AM
Post #10 of 20 (5682 views)
Shortcut

Re: [paintrain] Soft rubbery grip for ice tools? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

paintrain wrote:
The stuff is called "Mastic Tape". 3M makes one brand. The stuff I have comes in a blue box. You can find it at home depot at the end of the electrical isle. It is often used as a high end electrical tape.

It works really well. Is super water resistant and sticks like no ones business (I use a little trimmed piece of it on the bellows of my teleboots and it never comes off).

I haven't tried it, but there are some heat shrink polyoelefin wraps for electrical applications. They make it up to two inches in diameter. It might give you the least amount of thickness for the grip.

PT
Well, IME, the width of the "magic tape" makes little difference, as you'll want to give a half-width overlap regardless of tape width. The wider the tape, the fewer times you'll have to go around the handle to get a full coverage wrap.

The narrower the tape, the more seams (from the overlap) you'll have on your handle. The additional friction from said seams is fairly nominal... go with whatever you can find, though the wider the tape, the less time (and tape) it will take to wrap up.

That is all....

weasel

Nov 28, 2007, 7:20 PM
Post #11 of 20 (5642 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Soft rubbery grip for ice tools? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm surprised no one's mentioned this, but Petzl makes their own "magic tape" that's a little thicker than the 3M stuff and super grippy even when it's wet.

I first bought the Petzl stuff, put it on one axe, and trying to save money, went to the hardware store and got the same type of tape (the stuff that fuses to itself). It ended up staying on the axe fine, but wasn't sticky at all. Maybe I got the wrong stuff, you guys seem to be phyched with the tape you found.

Long post with one point: the Petzl tape works wonders. It's expensive though.

chossmonkey

Nov 28, 2007, 8:28 PM
Post #12 of 20 (5628 views)
Shortcut

Re: [weasel] Soft rubbery grip for ice tools? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

weasel wrote:
I'm surprised no one's mentioned this, but Petzl makes their own "magic tape" that's a little thicker than the 3M stuff and super grippy even when it's wet.

I first bought the Petzl stuff, put it on one axe, and trying to save money, went to the hardware store and got the same type of tape (the stuff that fuses to itself). It ended up staying on the axe fine, but wasn't sticky at all. Maybe I got the wrong stuff, you guys seem to be phyched with the tape you found.

Long post with one point: the Petzl tape works wonders. It's expensive though.
Do you mean grippy or tacky?

The stuff I've been using isn't tacky, but it is grippy. Kinda like rock shoes and "sticky"rubber.

weasel

Nov 29, 2007, 9:00 PM
Post #13 of 20 (5589 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:
Do you mean grippy or tacky?

The stuff I've been using isn't tacky, but it is grippy. Kinda like rock shoes and "sticky"rubber.

No, it's not sticky or tacky. It's just really grippy. It's also maybe 1/2 a millimeter thick, and kind of squishy. In my opinion, it's just about perfect.

The 3M stuff I found in the hardware store was self-fusing and everything, but it was pretty slick, especially when it was wet. It was also pretty damn thin after it was stretched over the handle. I don't know, maybe I need to go back and look again. There might be several types of the stuff.

Boy, I got to use a bunch of fun adjectives in this post :P

paintrain

Nov 29, 2007, 11:36 PM
Post #14 of 20 (5578 views)
Shortcut

Re: [weasel] Soft rubbery grip for ice tools? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This is the stuff that home depot sells and I have used. Plymouth Electrical tape - Rubber mastic Tape cat no 2719.

If you are looking for the least bulk, another option is deck tape used for skate boards (I did this with my ergos awhile back). Ask for a small sheet of it at your local skate board shop - couple bucks. It is harder on your gloves and wears out after a time, but it is cheap and easy to replace.

PT

rhyang

Nov 30, 2007, 12:40 AM
Post #15 of 20 (5569 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ace hardware carries electrician's splicing tape. It's self-adhesive and quite sticky.

tb69hikeclimb

Nov 30, 2007, 1:14 AM
Post #16 of 20 (5557 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rhyang] Soft rubbery grip for ice tools? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A couple of years ago I used plasti dip on my axes
just before it completely dried I sprinkled a layer of sand blasting media on them allowed to dry and redipped. This worked well for me. It was also not that difficult to remove sliced with razor blade and basically peeled it off. plus it comes in several colors
mix and match for a tiedyed hippy affectSmile

Partner angry

Nov 30, 2007, 4:34 PM
Post #17 of 20 (5509 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tb69hikeclimb] Soft rubbery grip for ice tools? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I used the rubber tape that Ace had. Total waste of money. It cost $8 and lasted about 2 pitches. It was nice and thin though.

Back to the drawing board. I'm going to a sporting goods store and I'll look around. Maybe they'll have something of use.

chossmonkey

Nov 30, 2007, 7:15 PM
Post #18 of 20 (5490 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
I used the rubber tape that Ace had. Total waste of money. It cost $8 and lasted about 2 pitches. It was nice and thin though.

Back to the drawing board. I'm going to a sporting goods store and I'll look around. Maybe they'll have something of use.
Did you do two layers? If it only sticks to itself and nothing else you will likely need two layers to make it stay.

The stuff I use is called Magic Wrap not Magic Tape as I thought. I don't know if it is available in the States.http://www.glasgowmfg.com/pages/magicwrap.html
The nefarious Brent_E pointed me to it. I think he might prefer some other type of tape. I think he uses what ever he can steal form his dad.

glyrocks

Nov 30, 2007, 8:26 PM
Post #19 of 20 (5478 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've had road bicycle tubes suggested to me, haven't tried it though.

dylan

Partner angry

Nov 30, 2007, 8:38 PM
Post #20 of 20 (5475 views)
Shortcut

Re: [glyrocks] Soft rubbery grip for ice tools? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just rewrapped them.

I did a multi-tiered wrap that has me hopeful.

Layer one, kendall curity athletic tape. I chose KC tape because it still has a little adhesive on the non sticky side.

Layer 2, rubberized gauze I found in the tennis racket grip section at the sporting goods store.

I then used a little gorilla tape and that rubbery tape to tie it all down.

In all, it's pretty tacky and added less than 1mm width to my handles.

I won't be on ice again until sunday so we'll see how it holds up then and how getting wet affects it.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook