Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

MonkeyInTraining

Nov 23, 2007, 9:48 AM
Post #1 of 34 (6437 views)
Shortcut

A n00bs first trip out of the gym...
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So with a day off from life I decidid to make the treck over to glen canyon park and try some real outdoor rockclimbing.
The first thing that i noticed was the height of the problems, the top out along the main wall is from 15-20 with an awfull landing area, so bad that pads would be nearly useless. The rock is sharp,all the problems have danger factors on them well beyond broken ankles or legs.

I did a 5.6r , a 5.8r , a V0 and a V0R. That last one scared the crap out of me when the last hold I went for flaked on me when I applied weight to it. I was manteling over the the edge of a short roof, about10 feet above a nasty rocky no pad landing. The hold was a square box of this chirt sticking out from a flat face, it had no chalk on it but was right were I needed to grab hold, but when I put just a little weight on it it moved, and freaked me out. I found another point and moved on but it made me wonder if I want to boulder or sport/trad climb. those seem safer with belaying and protection and all. I like to push my limits, I do not like to push my luckUnimpressed

After I got to the top I leaned over and pushed on the top of that hold, it came off pretty darn easy and I got to watch the chunk of rock take the plunge I would have had I trusted it.

n00b is not the proper term, it doesnt relate the serious life threatining qualities we novice climbers bring to the table, I suggest F^!#ing New Guy, or FNG for short. Its a military term and implies not just a recent arrival or a lack of ability, but also that an FNG is a dangerous thing to themselves and others.

btw is that an onsight, to climb a problem without seeing anything but how it looks from the base and not talking to anyone about it that has done the climb before? Any more rules to that? Am i annoying for asking? Tongue

duppyc

Nov 23, 2007, 1:30 PM
Post #2 of 34 (6406 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MonkeyInTraining] A n00bs first trip out of the gym... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yes, you are annoying for asking.

jgloporto

Nov 23, 2007, 2:48 PM
Post #3 of 34 (6382 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MonkeyInTraining wrote:
So with a day off from life I decidid to make the treck over to glen canyon park and try some real outdoor rockclimbing.
The first thing that i noticed was the height of the problems, the top out along the main wall is from 15-20 with an awfull landing area, so bad that pads would be nearly useless. The rock is sharp,all the problems have danger factors on them well beyond broken ankles or legs.

I did a 5.6r , a 5.8r , a V0 and a V0R. That last one scared the crap out of me when the last hold I went for flaked on me when I applied weight to it. I was manteling over the the edge of a short roof, about10 feet above a nasty rocky no pad landing. The hold was a square box of this chirt sticking out from a flat face, it had no chalk on it but was right were I needed to grab hold, but when I put just a little weight on it it moved, and freaked me out. I found another point and moved on but it made me wonder if I want to boulder or sport/trad climb. those seem safer with belaying and protection and all. I like to push my limits, I do not like to push my luckUnimpressed

After I got to the top I leaned over and pushed on the top of that hold, it came off pretty darn easy and I got to watch the chunk of rock take the plunge I would have had I trusted it.

n00b is not the proper term, it doesnt relate the serious life threatining qualities we novice climbers bring to the table, I suggest F^!#ing New Guy, or FNG for short. Its a military term and implies not just a recent arrival or a lack of ability, but also that an FNG is a dangerous thing to themselves and others.

btw is that an onsight, to climb a problem without seeing anything but how it looks from the base and not talking to anyone about it that has done the climb before? Any more rules to that? Am i annoying for asking? Tongue

I'm not really into bouldering, but what's a V0r. Is that a V0 with runouts?

Good on ya for jumping right on R rated routes and bouldering problems. With a little work, you should progress quickly to X rated routes which are the raddest. Nothing cooler than doing two pitches with three microwires and a TCU.

That shitz the meatbombz!!!

coastal_climber

Nov 23, 2007, 3:12 PM
Post #4 of 34 (6368 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MonkeyInTraining wrote:
After I got to the top I leaned over and pushed on the top of that hold, it came off pretty darn easy and I got to watch the chunk of rock take the plunge

Don't do that.

>Cam

marvinz

Nov 23, 2007, 4:10 PM
Post #5 of 34 (6340 views)
Shortcut

Re: [coastal_climber] A n00bs first trip out of the gym... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

coastal_climber wrote:
MonkeyInTraining wrote:
After I got to the top I leaned over and pushed on the top of that hold, it came off pretty darn easy and I got to watch the chunk of rock take the plunge

Don't do that.

>Cam

Why not? It's called cleaning.

MonkeyInTraining

Nov 23, 2007, 6:33 PM
Post #6 of 34 (6295 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

coastal_climber wrote:
MonkeyInTraining wrote:

Don't do that.

>Cam

I would not disfigure a nice inocent rock, but this small chunk of rock about 2 inches by 2 inches and about 1/2 in deepth was not going to be missed except by the next climber coming over the top of that roof, and the thing released with about 8 ounces of force (read as one finger gently pressing). You seriously got a problem with that? I didnt take a hammer to a jug or something, I pressed with one finger, and not even my thumb!

Edit: Ok maybe it was more then 8 ounces, but no more then I could apply with the fourth finger on my weak left hand as the right was holding on so I could lean out and look at the thing. If I can peal off the hold with one finger do you really think its going to be there much longer anyway?

(This post was edited by MonkeyInTraining on Nov 23, 2007, 6:36 PM)

MonkeyInTraining

Nov 23, 2007, 6:45 PM
Post #7 of 34 (6284 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jgloporto] A n00bs first trip out of the gym... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

jgloporto wrote:

I dunno really, it just said that in the guide book, I do know that it was serious injury or death to fall. I think it means something about "risk" or "retarded without a rope" or something like that. Whats a run out?

There was a V0 R/X route, it looked not to bad except for the fall. The fall was not worth it, or to mentaly intimidating for me to deal with :oP

jgloporto

Nov 23, 2007, 7:15 PM
Post #8 of 34 (6257 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MonkeyInTraining wrote:
jgloporto wrote:

I dunno really, it just said that in the guide book, I do know that it was serious injury or death to fall. I think it means something about "risk" or "retarded without a rope" or something like that. Whats a run out?

There was a V0 R/X route, it looked not to bad except for the fall. The fall was not worth it, or to mentaly intimidating for me to deal with :oP

I'd like to continue a more comical approach to this troll but now I think I really do have a question. Can someone tell me if there was some sort of change to v-scale to include a protection rating... if what the op is saying is true, could someone explain this to me? Is an x rated bouldering problem one with a high probability of the crash pad blowing away or something? Or maybe a high probability of your spotter adjusting his beanie or picking his nose or something during a fall?

MonkeyInTraining

Nov 23, 2007, 7:25 PM
Post #9 of 34 (6251 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jgloporto wrote:
MonkeyInTraining wrote:
jgloporto wrote:

I'd like to continue a more comical approach to this troll but now I think I really do have a question. Can someone tell me if there was some sort of change to v-scale to include a protection rating... if what the op is saying is true, could someone explain this to me? Is an x rated bouldering problem one with a high probability of the crash pad blowing away or something? Or maybe a high probability of your spotter adjusting his beanie or picking his nose or something during a fall?

wow, so I am a troll for posting a storey aand question in the beginners forum? If so this is about the most unfriendly forum I have ever visited. I thought snot nosed 13 year old video gamers were as rude as they come but you have just proved me wrong. I guess climbing isnt as cool a scene as it seemed at first, the activity is fun but the people, you in particular, seem a bit asshatish.

since you have over 2000 posts here I dont expect the verbal abuse will ever end so you win pal, I will look for a different climbing forum more friendly to anew guy just trying to meet people and have some fun.

have fun with yourself.

edit:btw 2663 posts since augest of 06 is 5.7 posts PER DAY! Who is the troll? Do you even go outside?

(This post was edited by MonkeyInTraining on Nov 23, 2007, 7:29 PM)

jgloporto

Nov 23, 2007, 7:32 PM
Post #10 of 34 (6244 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MonkeyInTraining wrote:
jgloporto wrote:
MonkeyInTraining wrote:
jgloporto wrote:

wow, so I am a troll for posting a storey aand question in the beginners forum? If so this is about the most unfriendly forum I have ever visited. I thought snot nosed 13 year old video gamers were as rude as they come but you have just proved me wrong. I guess climbing isnt as cool a scene as it seemed at first, the activity is fun but the people, you in particular, seem a bit asshatish.

since you have over 2000 posts here I dont expect the verbal abuse will ever end so you win pal, I will look for a different climbing forum more friendly to anew guy just trying to meet people and have some fun.

have fun with yourself.

edit:btw 2663 posts since augest of 06 is 5.7 posts PER DAY! Who is the troll? Do you even go outside?

Actually, that was a sincere question. I'm not into bouldering as a discipline so I'm not sure what that rating means... has anybody else seen that in a guidebook?

jgloporto

Nov 23, 2007, 7:46 PM
Post #11 of 34 (6226 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MonkeyInTraining wrote:

PPD is the new PC.

P.S. Take it easy, new guy. It's not your fault anyway, DDT hasn't added the word 'spray' to the dictionary yet.

Could you do me a favor and check the beginning section of your guidebook. I'm really curious about this v-scale r/x rating thing. Usually the author includes some commentary about the rating system used in the book. Maybe it's a local thing.

coastal_climber

Nov 23, 2007, 8:07 PM
Post #12 of 34 (6212 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MonkeyInTraining wrote:
coastal_climber wrote:
MonkeyInTraining wrote:

Don't do that.

>Cam

I would not disfigure a nice inocent rock, but this small chunk of rock about 2 inches by 2 inches and about 1/2 in deepth was not going to be missed except by the next climber coming over the top of that roof, and the thing released with about 8 ounces of force (read as one finger gently pressing). You seriously got a problem with that? I didnt take a hammer to a jug or something, I pressed with one finger, and not even my thumb!

The picture I got was that it was a lot bigger. No, I don't have a problem witht that as long as its got a safe landing.

>Cam

wax

Nov 23, 2007, 10:15 PM
Post #13 of 34 (6187 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey noob, if you feel like you've achieved something during your first trip out, then why should you care what other people think?

also, i am a boulderer and have no idea what an "R" rating is... especially on a V0. please elaborate.

MonkeyInTraining

Nov 24, 2007, 2:10 AM
Post #14 of 34 (6145 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wax] A n00bs first trip out of the gym... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the R/X thing is not mentioned in the guide book (Bay Area Bouldering, written by Chris Summit Publisher Supertopo). But it appears throughout the thing. I noticed it in clips from bouldering videos on youtube (problems labeled from v3r to v12xxx in the movie soulcal for one example). I did a google on it and came up blank, so I dont really know what the deal is. They don't use it at my gym, but then nothing would need to be labeled that, if it is indeed to indicate a risk factor that should be considered.

edit: oh yeah still wondering what a run out is. Or is it as simple as it sounds, a place to run out ones momentum after falling? and if so then how the hell do I go from falling to running?

(This post was edited by MonkeyInTraining on Nov 24, 2007, 2:13 AM)

coastal_climber

Nov 24, 2007, 2:27 AM
Post #15 of 34 (6131 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Run out means the distance between your last piece of pro and the anchors/belay would give you a big fall.

>Cam

(This post was edited by coastal_climber on Nov 24, 2007, 2:28 AM)

stymingersfink

Nov 24, 2007, 3:18 AM
Post #16 of 34 (6108 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MonkeyInTraining wrote:
Edit: Ok maybe it was more then 8 ounces, but no more then I could apply with the fourth finger on my weak left hand

BE CAREFUL WITH THIS GUY FOLKS! He doesn't know his own strength. I would expect to see quite a few "aaaaaaaaaa's" in his upcoming posts with a finger strength like that.

Oh, yeah.

STFU, n00b!

rockforlife

Nov 24, 2007, 3:43 AM
Post #17 of 34 (6093 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

lets think about this x = death so they gave a v0 an X so wouldn't this be a really high ball problem with now a chance of death, (AKA solo) Also R = run out so your last placement would be your pad(as it is a (peace) of gear) so would this not just be a high ball, or any easy way to say it for a trad climber who is writing a guide book.

MonkeyInTraining

Nov 24, 2007, 8:04 AM
Post #18 of 34 (6040 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rockforlife] A n00bs first trip out of the gym... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

hrmm I think the R is another way of saying highball that doesnt take up as much space in a book or on a tv screen. That is my best guess as to why it doesnt say "highball" or "very freaking dangerous", it would make the little headers for each route kinda wordy and cost more to print, as well as the video editing situation were you must consider things being watched on fairly small screens and avoid long wordy (and therefore smaller type face) titles and subtitles.

Or not.

Are the trolling sarcasm farmers this bad all the time? I meen c'mon the level of this banter is about 8th grade. Are any of them actualy witty and ironic or is this as good as it gets? Its somewhat funny to see the word n00b used like it wasnt beat to death by beta .7 of counter strike. You do know your using a term straight from video gaming, dont you? To make matters even worse you are adding £337sp34|< to it with the zeros making you guys the most pathetic bunch of old farts trying to act like 13 year olds I have ever seen. Trully bizare how trends filter through our culture. Reminds me of Vancover's crazy fascination with featherd haircuts in like 1990. Very strange indeed.

jmvc

Nov 24, 2007, 9:57 AM
Post #19 of 34 (6020 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MonkeyInTraining wrote:
hrmm I think the R is another way of saying highball that doesnt take up as much space in a book or on a tv screen. That is my best guess as to why it doesnt say "highball" or "very freaking dangerous", it would make the little headers for each route kinda wordy and cost more to print, as well as the video editing situation were you must consider things being watched on fairly small screens and avoid long wordy (and therefore smaller type face) titles and subtitles.

Or not.

Are the trolling sarcasm farmers this bad all the time? I meen c'mon the level of this banter is about 8th grade. Are any of them actualy witty and ironic or is this as good as it gets? Its somewhat funny to see the word n00b used like it wasnt beat to death by beta .7 of counter strike. You do know your using a term straight from video gaming, dont you? To make matters even worse you are adding £337sp34|< to it with the zeros making you guys the most pathetic bunch of old farts trying to act like 13 year olds I have ever seen. Trully bizare how trends filter through our culture. Reminds me of Vancover's crazy fascination with featherd haircuts in like 1990. Very strange indeed.

LOL I think you narked him folks.

Edit: Anyway, you started off the n00b thing in the title..

(This post was edited by jmvc on Nov 24, 2007, 9:59 AM)

dingus

Nov 24, 2007, 2:34 PM
Post #20 of 34 (5989 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

With ankles like mine ALL boulder problems are R.

DMT

dlintz

Nov 24, 2007, 3:25 PM
Post #21 of 34 (5968 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MonkeyInTraining wrote:
...I noticed it in clips from bouldering videos on youtube (problems labeled from v3r to v12xxx in the movie soulcal for one example)...

If you own the Soul Cal video I suggest destroying it immediately. If you were viewing a friend's copy I suggest destroying that copy and then bitch-slapping your "friend".

d.

MonkeyInTraining

Nov 24, 2007, 10:24 PM
Post #22 of 34 (5895 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dlintz] A n00bs first trip out of the gym... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dlintz wrote:
MonkeyInTraining wrote:
...I noticed it in clips from bouldering videos on youtube (problems labeled from v3r to v12xxx in the movie soulcal for one example)...

If you own the Soul Cal video I suggest destroying it immediately. If you were viewing a friend's copy I suggest destroying that copy and then bitch-slapping your "friend".

d.

I really cant argue with you on that, just for the awfull soundtrack and the one blond guy that flexs and crap after a problem. sheesh no soul at all with those idiots. But I did grow up in Santa Barbara and realy wanted to see lizards mouth and other spots. I turn the sound off and play U2 or the Stone Roses instead and its much better. And dont worry I didnt spend any money on the dvd it was given to me, but yeah I did not realy want to claim owning it because of that freakin awfull soundtrack. why would they do that? Its not like anyone would play music like that while climbing (lord I freaking hope not!).

I did get to listen to some music today in berkeley at Indian rock, a classical guitarist was playing right at the base of a few problems I was working and it was pretty much awsome to listen to the guy play while I hung about on the rocks. What a sweeeet morning this was.

In reply to:
Edit: Anyway, you started off the n00b thing in the title..

LOL ok you got me there, but I didnt just start it in the title. Much to my horror I and others started l337 back in like 93 on IRC, what people used before instant messengers like aim and yahooIM. bad typing and lazyness came together into pwnd, which originaly was just missing the o and hitting p, and a sticky e key from its being the change weapon key by default in Quake. Pretty weird how this crap starts. Realy very sad as well, and I am sure to go to hell for it.

(This post was edited by MonkeyInTraining on Nov 24, 2007, 10:32 PM)

curtis_g

Nov 24, 2007, 11:39 PM
Post #23 of 34 (5869 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MonkeyInTraining wrote:
about 8 ounces of force

Yes! Laugh

Arrogant_Bastard

Nov 25, 2007, 5:23 AM
Post #24 of 34 (5798 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jgloporto wrote:
MonkeyInTraining wrote:
jgloporto wrote:

Heh. That, or a large population of forrest critters known to steal pads.

Arrogant_Bastard

Nov 25, 2007, 5:27 AM
Post #25 of 34 (5796 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

MonkeyInTraining wrote:
jgloporto wrote:
MonkeyInTraining wrote:
jgloporto wrote:

have fun with yourself.

5.7? pshaw, JGlo's a n00b. PPD is where it's at. You need to get yours up if you ever want to send V3- X

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook