RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

Partner angry

Nov 27, 2007, 4:00 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1574 views)
Shortcut

Shoe Goo/Freesole on softshell?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have two pairs of softshell pants that I'll be doing 100% of my ice climbing in this year.

I was thinking of sewing a patch of vinyl next to each front pocket to protect them from my screws.

Then I thought about it more. How about just putting some Freesole or Shoe Goo over the area? It's what I do on my synthetic climbing shoes to give them more abrasion resistance and it works great.

Other than looks (a darker rubbery spot on each side of the pants, ie: BFD) I think it'd work as well as sewing vinyl and there's less chance of fucking up the fabric with my sub-par sewing skilz.

Or is there another secret ninja ice climber remedy for protecting your pants and still using those cool ice clippers?

stymingersfink

Nov 27, 2007, 6:00 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1545 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Shoe Goo/Freesole on softshell? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What has lead you to believe the screws hanging from your ice-clipper would be a problem? Just clip the screws so they kind of hang down and towards the back ('Course, I'm using BD screws... other brands may hang differently, IDK). I've never had an issue with them snagging on my schoeller pants. I have more problem with my crampons snagging my pants when I've gotta high-step something.

I once accidentally got some seam-grip on my Gamma softshell... hasn't seemed to hurt it at all aside from the difference in finish/texture. It was just a smear though that I couldn't get to come off. I wouldn't recommend putting anything more than a fine film, say put a daub on and rub it around with your fingertip removing all the excess (?). It should keep any little frays from starting if you do begin having a problem with your screw-teeth.

Partner angry

Nov 27, 2007, 7:02 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1527 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Shoe Goo/Freesole on softshell? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmm, could be where we position the clipper. I use BD screws as well and do get the occasional snag, not much, but it does happen.

I have a lot of time on my hands right now, so I'm just talking shit online and getting stuff together.

I have finished the mod on my axes, so sweet. It's fucking warm today though, so I might have to drive to test them out.

reno

Nov 27, 2007, 8:21 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1507 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Shoe Goo/Freesole on softshell? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never had an ice screw snag on my pants.

poedoe

Nov 27, 2007, 10:19 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1468 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] Shoe Goo/Freesole on softshell? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

alright I knew it, there is Ice if Phoenix. Tell us your secrets and I'll let your air conditioner live

reno

Nov 27, 2007, 10:56 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1460 views)
Shortcut

Re: [poedoe] Shoe Goo/Freesole on softshell? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

poedoe wrote:
alright I knew it, there is Ice if Phoenix. Tell us your secrets and I'll let your air conditioner live

Laugh

That's the secret.... the air conditioner. I dial it down to -20, point it at the garden hose, and let fly. While the pitch is only 25' long, it goes at a stout WI 0.5

I'm hard core. Word.

It serves double duty as my personal effort to combat global warming. Back in April, I opened all the doors and windows of the house and cranked on the air conditioner. Sure, it took seven months, but it's working: Today's high temp was only 71 degrees.

My electric bill was only $13,263 last month, but if I can reverse global warming, it's a small price to pay. You can do YOUR part by helping with a small donation to off-set that bill. PayPal works for me. Wink

cleenjeep

Dec 2, 2007, 3:42 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1413 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] Shoe Goo/Freesole on softshell? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have tried something like this, though for a different reason, gloves damaged on the back. The problem is when the fabric gets wet, the goo, even when hardened, doesn't last long on the fabric. It will separate from the fabric.
Though, maybe it was the formula of the stuff I used, it was called GOOP. Worked gangbusters on my old jeep softop though. Wink

gargrantuan

Dec 2, 2007, 8:55 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1397 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cleenjeep] Shoe Goo/Freesole on softshell? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stinkyfingers has the right idea. you shouldn't have to protect your pants if you're racking correctly, but if you're going to use something like that on soft or hardshells, use seamgripper. i fix holes in my jackets, pants, gloves, gaiters....well pretty much everything with it.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook