RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Access Issues & Closures

Premier Sponsor:

Ruze

Nov 29, 2007, 7:34 PM
Post #1 of 7 (11264 views)
Shortcut

Closures/Restrictions resulting from climber disrespect
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So I am doing a bit of research for some school stuff and I need some help from the climbing community abroad.

I am researching closures and restrictions of access to climbing areas that result from climbers' disrespect (for the rules, land, other users and management). To give you an idea, stuff like what happened at Torrent Falls in the Red River Gorge with the Meyer family - Mr. Meyer closed unrestricted climbing access because of climber's letting their dogs do their business on his yard, peeing around his house when he specifically put up a Port-o-let in his parking area, and generally being foul mouthed and rude.

I am looking for other areas throughout the country that have had occurrences similar to this, both in the past and in the present, and what the consequences were/are. If you could clue me in to your local area or at least point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated!

(This post was edited by Ruze on Nov 29, 2007, 8:46 PM)

swaghole

Nov 29, 2007, 8:23 PM
Post #2 of 7 (11216 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Ruze] Closures/Restrictions resulting from climber disrespect [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know if this can help but when the local authority threatened to close all cimbing areas in the Gatineau park, a climbing coalition was formed to represent the interest of the climbers. So far, there's been pretty good compliance which look good for the future.

Here are some details.

http://www.canadascapital.gc.ca/..._rock_climbing_e.pdf

http://www.alpineclubottawa.ca/?q=node/19

reg

Nov 29, 2007, 8:26 PM
Post #3 of 7 (11210 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Ruze] Closures/Restrictions resulting from climber disrespect [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ruze wrote:
So I am doing a bit of research for some skool stuff and I need some help from the climbing community abroad.

I am researching closures and restrictions of access to climbing areas that result from climbers' disrespect (for the rules, land, other users and management). To give you an idea, stuff like what happened at Torrent Falls in the Red River Gorge with the Meyer family - Mr. Meyer closed unrestricted climbing access because of climber's letting their dogs do their business on his yard, peeing around his house when he specifically put up a Port-o-let in his parking area, and generally being foul mouthed and rude.

I am looking for other areas throughout the country that have had occurrences similar to this, both in the past and in the present, and what the consequences were/are. If you could clue me in to your local area or at least point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated!

i can't help with your inquiry but i will say that lookin at your porfile i see nothing! not where your from, not what school/course, your age (skool?) i'd like to know. quid pro quo!

fitzontherocks

Nov 29, 2007, 9:00 PM
Post #4 of 7 (11173 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reg] Closures/Restrictions resulting from climber disrespect [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Can't believe nobody's mentioned Dean Potter's climb of Delicate Arch yet. That prompted a lot of re-writing the rules from the NPS.

jgloporto

Jan 11, 2008, 4:07 PM
Post #5 of 7 (10955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

reg wrote:
Ruze wrote:
So I am doing a bit of research for some skool stuff and I need some help from the climbing community abroad.

i can't help with your inquiry but i will say that lookin at your porfile i see nothing! not where your from, not what school/course, your age (skool?) i'd like to know. quid pro quo!

Not everybody want to be stalked.

reg

Jan 11, 2008, 4:12 PM
Post #6 of 7 (10948 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jgloporto] Closures/Restrictions resulting from climber disrespect [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i hear ya - not "stalking" - no desire to stalk but i think if some one is sincere about joining a community or requesting, or making serious inquiries then ah bit of info 'bout them would be nice.

Ruze

Jan 25, 2008, 7:49 PM
Post #7 of 7 (10786 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well thanks to the people that helped out - and to those interested in my profile instead, its a bit more updated now so feel free to check up on me -

Forums : Climbing Information : Access Issues & Closures

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook