Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

omalavet

Nov 23, 2007, 3:56 PM
Post #1 of 41 (11260 views)
Shortcut

bolting and onsight???
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

simple ? if i bolt a route on rappel and then climb it in the first try without falling ... thats a redpoint a flash or an onsight??

flint

Nov 23, 2007, 4:09 PM
Post #2 of 41 (11251 views)
Shortcut

Re: [omalavet] bolting and onsight??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

whatever you want it to be. ultimatly, it only matters to you...

j-

chossmonkey

Nov 23, 2007, 4:22 PM
Post #3 of 41 (11241 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At the most a flash. If you feel out the holds and try some of the moves it would be a redpoint.

zealotnoob

Nov 23, 2007, 4:25 PM
Post #4 of 41 (11236 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd say flash.

However, if you're going to forego bolting on lead, why not just top-rope it? If you insist on bolting it, why not work the moves first so you can bolt it in an informed and intelligent manner?

Poorly planned rap bolting is bad style, regardless of how quickly you climb it.

omalavet

Nov 23, 2007, 6:54 PM
Post #5 of 41 (11195 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zealotnoob] bolting and onsight??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah now but some routes like overhangs roofs... are hard to toprope..... but ok ill just put flash wenever i do that....

winglessangel

Nov 23, 2007, 7:01 PM
Post #6 of 41 (11188 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

zealotnoob wrote:
I'd say flash.

However, if you're going to forego bolting on lead, why not just top-rope it? If you insist on bolting it, why not work the moves first so you can bolt it in an informed and intelligent manner?

Poorly planned rap bolting is bad style, regardless of how quickly you climb it.

Can't be flash, no way, redpoint or onsight.
if you, and only you alone did all this, no one gave you betas, you didn't see anyone there, can't be flash.

So redpoint or onsight? the question is: "rap bolting" = "trying moves" or not?

I guess if you touched no rock at all while bolting, you could count as onsight.
and specially: you didn't top rope to get there, you walked to the top by other route or trail and rapped from there.

zealotnoob

Nov 23, 2007, 10:49 PM
Post #7 of 41 (11133 views)
Shortcut

Re: [winglessangel] bolting and onsight??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I wouldn't say rap bolting = trying moves, but it's certainly beta. I still say flash.

onceahardman

Nov 23, 2007, 11:12 PM
Post #8 of 41 (11117 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

not onsite, unless you rapped down and bolted while blindfolded.

A sport FA is a redpoint at best. only the second (+)ascensionist(+) can flash or onsight

Partner angry

Nov 23, 2007, 11:34 PM
Post #9 of 41 (11099 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] bolting and onsight??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

onceahardman wrote:
A sport FA is a redpoint at best. only the second (+)ascensionist(+) can flash or onsight

This is the sport climbing forum so I agree. Some people don't pay much attention to the forum they are in, so to clarify, many many routes have seen an onsight for the FA. These routes often make use of those springy cracky wedge thingies though.

winglessangel

Nov 23, 2007, 11:49 PM
Post #10 of 41 (11090 views)
Shortcut

Re: [onceahardman] bolting and onsight??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

of course it can.
if you FA from the ground and are strong enough to drill and bolt with one hand while holding with the other AND bolt it all with no falls it is onsight!!

Partner angry

Nov 23, 2007, 11:59 PM
Post #11 of 41 (11083 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

winglessangel wrote:
of course it can.
if you FA from the ground and are strong enough to drill and bolt with one hand while holding with the other AND bolt it all with no falls it is onsight!!

Now you're argueing semantics.

There's lots of routes that are bolted, by hand, on lead with no falls. The RC.com collective (and in this instance, I agree) seems to pretty much classify these routes as trad, seeing as trad is an abbreviation of tradional and not cam.

I'm relatively sure the OP is not talking about that though.

winglessangel

Nov 24, 2007, 12:08 AM
Post #12 of 41 (11074 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] bolting and onsight??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
winglessangel wrote:
of course it can.

Now you're argueing semantics.

There's lots of routes that are bolted, by hand, on lead with no falls. The RC.com collective (and in this instance, I agree) seems to pretty much classify these routes as trad, seeing as trad is an abbreviation of tradional and not cam.

I'm relatively sure the OP is not talking about that though.

yes we are, but on the meaning of "is at best" and not on the meaning of what trad is, I wrote thinking in my mind a person bolting while climbing a strong, short 5.13/14/15+++ etc, route on a crag, a "sport route" for sure.

possibility of this happening? his "is at best" made it sound like something impossible, but I think it can be... so...

but, we are highjaking the thread, the case here is bolting on RAPEL...

(This post was edited by winglessangel on Nov 24, 2007, 3:40 PM)

caughtinside

Nov 25, 2007, 8:02 PM
Post #13 of 41 (10951 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

zealotnoob wrote:
I wouldn't say rap bolting = trying moves, but it's certainly beta. I still say flash.

No, if you're rap bolting, you had better be trying moves. If you don't, you may mess up the bolt placements.

I've rap bolted a few sport climbs and i have touched every hold on the face to check clipping positions and which directions sequences take you. Plus, you've got to clean the thing. You can't just rap down the face and zing in bolts wherever you'd like.

If you bolt on rap, the best you can do is redpoint it. But really, who gives a shit? you got the FA.

a side note. I"ve bolted some routes and my arms were shot from drilling and cleaning. So I let my buddy have it, he got the FA on a flash.

shorty

Nov 26, 2007, 2:07 AM
Post #14 of 41 (10901 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] bolting and onsight??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not too hard to tell who's put up routes and who hasn't.

caughtinside wrote:
zealotnoob wrote:

No, if you're rap bolting, you had better be trying moves. If you don't, you may mess up the bolt placements.

IMO, the best sport routes are "worked" quite a bit before being bolted. If one has made the decision to install bolts, the FA party must also decide to install them properly.

caughtinside wrote:
I've rap bolted a few sport climbs and i have touched every hold on the face to check clipping positions and which directions sequences take you. Plus, you've got to clean the thing. You can't just rap down the face and zing in bolts wherever you'd like.

Few of us are blessed with perfect rock, where holds are solid and the best moves are obvious. I've seen FA parties spend many, many days working a pitch to confirm the sequence, be certain that the holds are solid, and to finally sink the bolts. My own routes tend not to be so involved, but 2 or 3 days to develop one pitch is quite common. And after one has determined that the holds are solid, the moves make sense, the choss/lichen is removed, and the bolt locations are marked, the actual drilling time will likely done in much less than an hour.

caughtinside wrote:
If you bolt on rap, the best you can do is redpoint it. But really, who gives a shit? you got the FA.

Exactly. I don't care if the FA party took 2 bizillion runs on the route before they sent it. Down the road that information will probably be lost, anyway. People will remember the route for it's quality, then maybe who put it up.

caughtinside wrote:
a side note. I"ve bolted some routes and my arms were shot from drilling and cleaning. So I let my buddy have it, he got the FA on a flash.

For this exact reason, I only give a tentative rating on the day of an FA. I like to have second opinions from other climbers, plus another run at the route when I'm fresh. After hours of brushing lichen and grainy rock, sometimes just trying to grab the steering wheel on the way home is pumpy. All too often I've been 1 or 2 letter grades off the consensus rating on the day of the FA.

To the OP -- If rap bolting is considered an acceptable method of developing routes in your area, don't get hung up on how you describe your FA. It will be an FA, plain and simple. Spend your efforts putting up a good route that will be enjoyed long after you move onto other projects and activities.

flint

Nov 26, 2007, 2:30 AM
Post #15 of 41 (10887 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you really want to on-site the route, set up a top rope and onsite it before "retro bolting" the route. Truthfully, no one said you have to clip bolts to on-site. Hell, I have climbed routes where top rope is the only option, did I not on-site it?

Still going with the who cares put the FA stamp on it and call it done route.

j-

joeforte

Nov 26, 2007, 3:38 AM
Post #16 of 41 (10864 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flint] bolting and onsight??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I agree with the above. Get the onsight on toprope. Then let your friends climb it on toprope. That way you can make sure the majority of people can use the clipping positions SAFELY and effectively.

zealotnoob

Nov 26, 2007, 2:34 PM
Post #17 of 41 (10816 views)
Shortcut

Re: [shorty] bolting and onsight??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

shorty wrote:
Not too hard to tell who's put up routes and who hasn't.

Fair enough.

caughtinside wrote:
zealotnoob wrote:

...I totally agree--you better be trying the moves.

zealotnoob wrote:
poorly planned rap bolting is bad style, no matter how quickly you climb it.

...but the OP's question implies that the moves weren't tried. If that is the case, wouldn't it be a flash?

Who cares, though. Spot on:

shorty wrote:
If rap bolting is considered an acceptable method of developing routes in your area, don't get hung up on how you describe your FA. It will be an FA, plain and simple. Spend your efforts putting up a good route that will be enjoyed long after you move onto other projects and activities.

(This post was edited by zealotnoob on Nov 26, 2007, 2:40 PM)

Partner j_ung

Nov 26, 2007, 3:03 PM
Post #18 of 41 (10797 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

omalavet wrote:
simple ? if i bolt a route on rappel and then climb it in the first try without falling ... thats a redpoint a flash or an onsight??

It's a redpoint, or it might be irresponsible bolting.

omalavet

Nov 26, 2007, 3:15 PM
Post #19 of 41 (10788 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] bolting and onsight??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

irresponsible bolting. ????? try bolting a roof on lead...!!! you people never bolt!!1 and you start talking about how its done .... thats bad.... olmost every sport rout you climb have being bolted on rappel!!!! for sure

Partner j_ung

Nov 26, 2007, 3:39 PM
Post #20 of 41 (10764 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

omalavet wrote:
irresponsible bolting. ????? try bolting a roof on lead...!!! you people never bolt!!1 and you start talking about how its done .... thats bad.... olmost every sport rout you climb have being bolted on rappel!!!! for sure

I meant that bolting on rappel before climbing and assessing the route and scouting bolt locations might be considered irresponsible, not that all bolting on rappel might be. If you're doing it on rappel anyway, then there's no decent reason I can think of not make every effort to create something worth the impact. (Yes, I understand how subjective that is.) If you intend to drill and clean, all while keeping your metaphorical eyes shut to preserve some diluted notion of an onsight, then I think you're irresponsible. But I'll allow that I might think differently in some circumstance I haven't yet considered, hence my careful use of the word "might" in both these posts.

I hope that clarifies my opinion. Smile

joeforte

Nov 26, 2007, 4:21 PM
Post #21 of 41 (10744 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

omalavet wrote:
thats bad.... olmost every sport rout you climb have being bolted on rappel!!!! for sure

Not 'Round Here Boy!

omalavet

Nov 26, 2007, 10:39 PM
Post #22 of 41 (10687 views)
Shortcut

Re: [joeforte] bolting and onsight??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

around there were 5.3, 5.4, 5.10 crag.... try to do that on a 5.13 overhang roof... or just a 5.13..... overhanguin wall.... from the ground up

overlord

Nov 26, 2007, 11:42 PM
Post #23 of 41 (10666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you cannot bolt a route and than claim an onsight. if you bolted it, its a redpoint. but be glad for it, a FA is worth much more than an OS, at least in my book.

you can however get a sport onsight FA if someone else does the boltingWink

flint

Nov 27, 2007, 2:45 AM
Post #24 of 41 (10626 views)
Shortcut

Re: [flint] bolting and onsight??? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

flint wrote:
whatever you want it to be. ultimatly, it only matters to you...

j-

rockguide

Dec 1, 2007, 2:40 AM
Post #25 of 41 (10512 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

winglessangel wrote:
of course it can.

Yes

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Sport Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook