RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

Abbott567

Dec 1, 2007, 11:00 AM
Post #1 of 9 (2333 views)
Shortcut

Finger Damage - Any Ideas?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey...
I was recently climbing and attempted to traverse a wall (which was probably beyond my ability) and i slipped...
upon slipping i managed to latch two fingers on (my ring finger and my middle finger on my left hand) trying to stop myself...

but by then i was already on my way down and something in them two fingers gave...

there was a ripping sensation, almost as if i could hear it within my body (if that makes any sense - almost like when you crack your fingers but really repeatedly in a matter of milliseconds- like a popping feeling)

since then my fingers still bend okay and my grip hasn't been effected
but there is this sharp pain followed by a dull ache whenever the joint closest to the fingernail is bent - especially if trying to bend them whilst the middle joint remains straight...

i don't know what i've done but i'm more worried about how long it will be before i can climb again...

i know its probably extremely difficult to assess my injury over the internet and by what i've attempted to describe but i'm just hoping someone out there has experienced something similar...

thanks for any help
craig

overlord

Dec 1, 2007, 12:01 PM
Post #2 of 9 (2320 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Abbott567] Finger Damage - Any Ideas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thats most likely a tendon injury.

i suggest you rest until it stops hurting. how long this will last depends on the severity of the injury... anything from 2 weeks to some months.

and you also learned a valuable lesson... do not try to catch yourself in such a way. in fact, if i feel a tendon is about to give and theres no rish of a groud fall, i prefer to fly than to tear something. you will probably fly anyway, its just the difference between whole and torn tendonsWink

chossmonkey

Dec 1, 2007, 12:28 PM
Post #3 of 9 (2318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yep, you can hear your tendons when they pop.

Ice it and take time off. If it is just some pain and not really anything very physically noticeable you should be okay after you give it plenty of time to heal.

Abbott567

Dec 1, 2007, 12:31 PM
Post #4 of 9 (2314 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] Finger Damage - Any Ideas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks guys-
im just really gutted about it...
i hate the fact that the physical strength starts to wither away the longer you dont climb then you end up really p*ssed off when you come back..

i duno why i tried to catch myself in such a way just instinct i guess!

valuable lesson learned i think!

thanks for the help!!

macblaze

Dec 1, 2007, 4:24 PM
Post #5 of 9 (2270 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do a few searches about pulleys... A2 or A3... there's lots to read and it will give you an idea of what you might be dealing with.

Have patience. It will be a year on Friday since I tore my A2 and while that finger seems to be completely healed, the one that took all the stress when I tried to go back a bit too early is still giving me some trouble...

B

<edited to make sense.>

(This post was edited by macblaze on Dec 2, 2007, 1:48 AM)

chossmonkey

Dec 1, 2007, 5:38 PM
Post #6 of 9 (2250 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Abbott567 wrote:
thanks guys-
im just really gutted about it...
i hate the fact that the physical strength starts to wither away the longer you dont climb then you end up really p*ssed off when you come back..

i duno why i tried to catch myself in such a way just instinct i guess!

valuable lesson learned i think!

thanks for the help!!
Strength will come back quicker the second time. Tendons don't get strong as quickly as muscles. This time off will give your unhurt tendons more time to catch up with your muscles.

rckclimber380

Dec 3, 2007, 3:50 PM
Post #7 of 9 (2170 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i have popped my tendons in my middle finger in red rocks Nevada. it took about two months for it to heal. ever since i try to stay away from one finger pockets.

davidparks21

Dec 3, 2007, 11:30 PM
Post #8 of 9 (2136 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've blown tendons twice now, both times I heard 3 quick pops as I pealed off the wall.

Your description is slightly different from what I remember experiencing though, I always had a limited range of movement for the next few months while it healed. However the quick pops sound distinctly like a tendon injury. I might also be slightly concerned about a hairline fracture though. If you can do it, an x-ray might be prudent.

Also, if it is indeed a tendon injury you should expect to let it rest for 3-6 weeks, then you should stretch it as is comfortable to do and you can start exercising it slowly (don't over do it, you'll be able to feel the line, don't cross it, drop your climbing down a notch for the next few months).

One of my tendon injuries healed 100%, the other one is just under a year old and is probably at about 95%. The finger no long straightens all the way, which is slightly odd, but doesn't really negatively affect me; but this is why stretching is important.

Abbott567

Dec 4, 2007, 10:12 PM
Post #9 of 9 (2102 views)
Shortcut

Re: [davidparks21] Finger Damage - Any Ideas? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks for your advice guys

i dont think its really serious
its calmed down the last two days

still hurts if i squeeze a fist but general movement is ok
fingers crossed its not to bad

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?