Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Alpine & Ice:
Getting my toys in order (crampon poll)
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

Poll: Getting my toys in order (crampon poll)
Trident with long middle 2 / 29%
Dual 4 / 57%
Mono 1 / 14%
7 total votes

Partner angry

Dec 5, 2007, 9:54 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1052 views)
Shortcut

Getting my toys in order (crampon poll)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I have 2 sets of identical crampons. Old BD Switchblades. I have all the toys with them as well.

This includes a Trident kit with a very long middle point (actually a modified Charlet point) that climbs ice very well as well as being long enough to function as a mono on the rock.

I have the standard mono that climbs ice at a C level due to how far back the secondary points are. They are great on rock.

I have the dual point that climbs almost perfect in very thin ice and are just fine for fat. It's not ideal on rock.

So three possible configs and only 2 sets of crampons (see how lazy I am, I just want to change crampons, not unbolt/rebolt anything).

Currently I'm thinking the Trident mod as the bread and butter pon as it does everything quite well.

Then I'm thinking the monopoint as something to beat the piss out of on drytool routes (I have 3 sets of mono's for this crampon).

I figure I'll let the duals gather dust and put them in if I climb something I know will be ultra thin.

How would you do it? You can vote on multiple choices, I want to see the winning 2 configs.

And think in terms of ice routes and ice cragging. I have some G12's for glaciers and mountains

paintrain

Dec 5, 2007, 10:20 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1025 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Getting my toys in order (crampon poll) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

My recommendation - get a new pair of crampons.

The switchblades were the worst crampons I ever owned.

Sell all of them on ebay and get a pair that you don't have to switch around to make them work.

PT

Partner angry

Dec 5, 2007, 10:29 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1019 views)
Shortcut

Re: [paintrain] Getting my toys in order (crampon poll) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Either love them or hate them. If you climbed a lot of ice on the standard mono, I see your point.

Otherwise I respectfully disagree

anykineclimb

Dec 5, 2007, 11:15 PM
Post #4 of 9 (989 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

seems to me that the trident would displace a lot of ice, but if it works for you, then go for it.
then set up the other set with monos for the mixed stuff.

stymingersfink

Dec 6, 2007, 3:25 AM
Post #5 of 9 (954 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Funny you should mention the Switchblades with Trident points. I was out climbing GWI yesterday and happened to notice the imprint of a pair of them in the snow on one of the ledges of that route.

Thought to myself "huh. well, don't see that everyday"

Also of note, I was trying a pair of the new-er Cyborgs... seemed lighter than my old Bionics, better layout for the secondary points too. I'm thinking I just might have to get myself a pair. The only problem is, the old bionics replacement points won't work for the new Cyborgs.

I'm wondering too when they'll make a horizontal frontpoint for the thing. They come in handy sometimes.

granite_grrl

Dec 6, 2007, 1:49 PM
Post #6 of 9 (904 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Getting my toys in order (crampon poll) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
Also of note, I was trying a pair of the new-er Cyborgs... seemed lighter than my old Bionics, better layout for the secondary points too. I'm thinking I just might have to get myself a pair. The only problem is, the old bionics replacement points won't work for the new Cyborgs.

I went from an old pair of Bionics (bought second hand) to the Cyborgs and it was like night and day. I was suddenly like "hey! that's what secondary points a for, nice!".

Partner angry

Dec 6, 2007, 4:10 PM
Post #7 of 9 (868 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Getting my toys in order (crampon poll) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

They actually aren't the "trident" set up per se.

They are the outer points of the trident filed down a little shorter than normal. The center point is a charlet point that has been hacked up to fit in the center. It's a good bit longer than the BD trident center.

It all comes together as a really good mono, the trident acting as the secondary points that these pons never had.

I got a used pair of Switchblades last year for a couple bucks and immediately didn't like them. Then a friend of mine gave me the dual setup from his old ones. They were actually damn nice crampons after that. Last week he gave me a "bag of parts" from his old switchblades. The bag of parts added up to another full set of Switchblades with all the fixins. I've even got side spurs and heel spurs if I choose to use attach them.

I hear you on the secondary point issue. I'd take my G12's on vertical ice over the switchblades in mono any day, only because they have great secondary points.

paintrain

Dec 6, 2007, 5:24 PM
Post #8 of 9 (847 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't get me wrong. It is the carpenter rather than the tools. I climbed a lot of stuff on my old switchblades, but didn't feel much remorse when I retired them. due to my new love affair with my M10s.

If you are confident in your feet with them on, that is all that matters.

Check the bolts on them carefully. One year there was a recall on some of the bolts due to the heads shearing off. Since you are putting them together yourself, it should be easy to check.

PT

stymingersfink

Dec 7, 2007, 1:49 AM
Post #9 of 9 (814 views)
Shortcut

Re: [paintrain] Getting my toys in order (crampon poll) [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

paintrain wrote:
It is the carpenter rather than the tools...

If you are confident in your feet with them on, that is all that matters.
PT
Perhaps for any given ascent that may be true... I've logged some pretty good ice in my bionics (which I started with in '02). But then again... I just didn't know any better.

IOW, trying to pound 16p nails with a finish hammer technically can be done, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook