Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

duransportiva

Dec 9, 2007, 3:27 AM
Post #1 of 38 (6992 views)
Shortcut

Sandrock, AL topo
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

does anybody know where I can get a sandrock topo that has sport routes?

i know the topo on drtopo has the bouldering routes listed. not looking for that.

i know that the dixie cragger's atlas has the sport routes listed. not looking for that either.

...just a normal, printable topo? anybody?

saxfiend

Dec 10, 2007, 3:15 PM
Post #2 of 38 (6959 views)
Shortcut

Re: [duransportiva] Sandrock, AL topo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

duransportiva wrote:
...just a normal, printable topo? anybody?
Normal as opposed to what?

Since you're not interested in the DCA, I'd say you're out of luck.

JL

fishman

Dec 11, 2007, 6:27 PM
Post #3 of 38 (6929 views)
Shortcut

Re: [saxfiend] Sandrock, AL topo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

whats wrong with DCA? thats what i use there and it seems pretty accurate

weatherm

Dec 11, 2007, 6:48 PM
Post #4 of 38 (6927 views)
Shortcut

Re: [duransportiva] Sandrock, AL topo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

sandrock sucks. don't go. you will get in a fight with 10 hillbillies and your car broken into. if you get lucky you just might meet the snake charmer thats a 55 yrs old lady, nappy, haggered, and carrying a mechete. dirty dirty

duransportiva

Dec 11, 2007, 10:08 PM
Post #5 of 38 (6918 views)
Shortcut

Re: [fishman] Sandrock, AL topo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

fishman wrote:
whats wrong with DCA? thats what i use there and it seems pretty accurate

oh nothing's wrong with it. i just don't have one or the money to spare for one.Unsure

...and yeah i know about the hillbillys. OH do I know about em. I never get tired of watching some poor drunk bastard try to climb Chinese Water Torture thoughLaugh.

saxfiend

Dec 12, 2007, 12:24 AM
Post #6 of 38 (6915 views)
Shortcut

Re: [weatherm] Sandrock, AL topo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

weatherm wrote:
sandrock sucks. don't go. you will get in a fight with 10 hillbillies and your car broken into. if you get lucky you just might meet the snake charmer thats a 55 yrs old lady, nappy, haggered, and carrying a mechete. dirty dirty
Geez, now that you've conquered Laurel Knob, no looking back, eh, Rhett? Sad to see someone disown their humble roots . . . Sly

Okay, I know Sand Rock isn't a hidden vale of unspoiled natural beauty. It's definitely not my favorite place. But I think of Sand Rock a little differently after a little conversation with Rich Gottlieb a couple of years ago. I was at the Gunks and stopped in to say hello to him at Rock and Snow. Rich (a pioneer southern climber who established a lot of the most amazing routes in this area) talked about how much fun he'd had climbing at Sand Rock during his last visit to Atlanta, and how much he missed the place.

So just ignore the graffiti and the midnight fireworks and focus on what's good at Sand Rock: the climbing!

JL

weatherm

Dec 12, 2007, 4:11 AM
Post #7 of 38 (6908 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

haha! good one John! Yeah for many people in the south sandrock was the jumping off point. The climbing is good... its the riffraff I don't like! When are you headed to LK again?

saxfiend

Dec 12, 2007, 3:13 PM
Post #8 of 38 (6897 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

weatherm wrote:
When are you headed to LK again?
I've started a training program to get in shape for the approach trail -- humping a 40-lb pack every time I take my dog for a walk. Figure I'll be ready in about six months . . .

JL

dynamo_

Dec 12, 2007, 3:39 PM
Post #9 of 38 (6888 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I try to limit my trips to SR to about once per year...I basically can't stand the place, but I have to get a good dose every once in a while...like any good masochist.

SR is only about 1 h 10 m drive, but my car always pulls left for Griffin Falls when I get off of the Collinsville exit...weird, huh.

Anyway, the climbing is great, varied, and on interesting rock. On the other hand, it's crowded, dirty, vandalized, with no such thing as peaceful camping. Plus, I prefer trad...and although SR has plenty of it, comments like these that follow detract from my flailing:

From the resident hardman: "if it doesn't have bolts, it isn't meant to be climbed"

From some dude wearing a pink polo shirt, with the collar popped, loudly cranking 5.11 sport: "he could probably climb alot better if he didn't have all that weight hanging on him.."

Random, large fellow wearing overalls, realtree camo tshirt, and NASCAR cap: "...this one time (spits tobacco), in Pe-ru, my buddy panned the river in a scuba suit (shifts weight onto the square shovel he is using as a walking stick), and he came back through customs (tempo rising) with five five-gallon buckets full of...you'll never guess (eyes widen)...pure PLATINUM GOLD! Then, one time, we were at his house and he had this little puppy...my buddy (pauses to stare off into space for a few seconds) got up to go to the fridge (snickers)...well, his dog ate some cat shit out of the littler box (laughs wildly for 45 seconds)...my buddy, he came back, sat down with his beer and that damn dog jumped right up there in his lap (can barely contain hinself at this point)...and you know waht that dog did!?! You'll never guess!!...he licked my buddy right in the mouth! Right in the mouth!!! (laughing, nearly trips over his shovel)...I says to my buddy...'that dog just ate cat shit and licked you right in the mouth!'....aaaahahahaaaaaaaa...weezz...(chokes on chewing tobacco - sticks his finger down his throat to get it out, nearly throws up...continues laughing as he wanders off)...

Or, during a 3 AM drunken brawl, a shirtless redneck kid screams repeatedly "You didn't hold him back! You didn't hold him back! and I punched him right upside the head, I did! Right upside the head!"...this is after two hours of screaming, car alarms, Toyota Tacomas tear assing up and down the road...and followed by three police cars and the victim of the aggression (who peeled off in the midst of the action) coming back at 6 AM...the victim peeling off didn't end the fighting, apparently the aggressors fought amongst themselves for an hour and a half not knowing that their target had escaped...

Ah, Sandrock...burned portapotties, broken beer bottles, sport climbing...so fun.

saxfiend

Dec 12, 2007, 3:51 PM
Post #10 of 38 (6885 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dynamo_] Sandrock, AL topo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dynamo_ wrote:
Random, large fellow wearing overalls, realtree camo tshirt, and NASCAR cap: "...this one time (spits tobacco), in Pe-ru, my buddy panned the river in a scuba suit (shifts weight onto the square shovel he is using as a walking stick), and he came back through customs (tempo rising) with five five-gallon buckets full of...you'll never guess (eyes widen)...pure PLATINUM GOLD! Then, one time, we were at his house and he had this little puppy...my buddy (pauses to stare off into space for a few seconds) got up to go to the fridge (snickers)...well, his dog ate some cat shit out of the littler box (laughs wildly for 45 seconds)...my buddy, he came back, sat down with his beer and that damn dog jumped right up there in his lap (can barely contain hinself at this point)...and you know waht that dog did!?! You'll never guess!!...he licked my buddy right in the mouth! Right in the mouth!!! (laughing, nearly trips over his shovel)...I says to my buddy...'that dog just ate cat shit and licked you right in the mouth!'....aaaahahahaaaaaaaa...weezz...(chokes on chewing tobacco - sticks his finger down his throat to get it out, nearly throws up...continues laughing as he wanders off)...
The fact that you remember this word for word (along with the shovel you always seem to have with you at the crag) makes me a little suspicious.

JL

weatherm

Dec 12, 2007, 4:50 PM
Post #11 of 38 (6879 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

little did you know.. bens the one with the shovel :)

Lighterknot

Dec 12, 2007, 8:57 PM
Post #12 of 38 (6863 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I may have to call shenanigans on that story as well, but I can actually picture it as being true. I have camped up there on at least 3 different occasions and my expereiences were very mild compared to Ben's...I really like the place, the climbing is great and for some reason my brain has a filter to where graffiti doesn't even register.

anyway here is a vote for sandrock as one of the best places in Alabama to get in several routes in a day, have an easy approach, and the chance for some evening entertainment.

weatherm

Dec 12, 2007, 9:21 PM
Post #13 of 38 (6858 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Lighterknot] Sandrock, AL topo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If your feeling like a fight, you got a 100% guarantee at night!

Where was the place where the mexicans were praising Ala and screaming hysterically?!

Lighterknot

Dec 13, 2007, 1:12 AM
Post #14 of 38 (6853 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm pretty sure Ben and Ryan's "spiritual" experience was at Griffin Falls.

saxfiend

Dec 13, 2007, 5:18 AM
Post #15 of 38 (6846 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lighterknot wrote:
I'm pretty sure Ben and Ryan's "spiritual" experience was at Griffin Falls.
Are people still sacrificing goats out there?

JL

dynamo_

Dec 13, 2007, 3:02 PM
Post #16 of 38 (6832 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can produce another witness with regard to the PURE PLANITUM GOLD! Furthermore, how could I make that up?

On the same trip, we were about to do 'My Dog Has Fleas' when a tall, thin lady wearing a white tank top and cut off blue jean shorts appeared out of no where...she was carrying a machete. She walked by quietly and off into the distance.

Ryan and I did witness a very interesting pentecostal church service at Griffin...one lady got so riled up that she began to dry heave...I am not against this sort of thing, mind you - to each their own. But good ol' Southern-Baptist Ryan was, let's say, 'distracted' for his lead of Knife Crack.

It was also Ryan and I that got to experience the calamity of the car alarms and "I hit him right upside the head, I did!" yelling...in the middle of the night.

Chad, you and I will go to our graves disagreeing over this one...whatever.

(This post was edited by dynamo_ on Dec 13, 2007, 3:34 PM)

dynamo_

Dec 13, 2007, 3:10 PM
Post #17 of 38 (6830 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Lighterknot wrote:
I may have to call shenanigans on that story as well, but I can actually picture it as being true..

You're damned right it was true...do you think I dislike that hellhole for no reason!? Don't make me bust out the Dickel again, Bluto.

Lighterknot wrote:
I have camped up there on at least 3 different occasions and my expereiences were very mild compared to Ben's...I really like the place, the climbing is great and for some reason my brain has a filter to where graffiti doesn't even register..

Well, maybe my innocent looks and mild manners draw this kind of violence out of people...or maybe you are such an intimidating presence that no one acts up when you're nearby...all I can say is avoid the place at all costs!

Lighterknot wrote:
...anyway here is a vote for sandrock as one of the best places in Alabama to get in several routes in a day, have an easy approach, and the chance for some evening entertainment.

Should I bust out my rating system again for you Chad? Logic just doesn't prevail with some people.

Just kidding...if it's dirt and grime, bolts and cold shuts, impact and erosion, noise and crowds that you like...Sandrock is the place to be...

Lighterknot

Dec 13, 2007, 3:36 PM
Post #18 of 38 (6824 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am good on the Dickel for 2007, but hit me up in a couple weeks.

I am def not intimidating so maybe I have just been really lucky.

PLEASE bust out the rating system for everyone to witness...once you post it, I will then dispell it with true logic...bring it Wink

dynamo_

Dec 13, 2007, 4:11 PM
Post #19 of 38 (6823 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here it is for public record...and, as we all know, being that the following example of brain power and acute prowess when it comes to decision making is subject to opinion...what holds true for me may not be true for you, although the system remains sound...

Let's take two climbing spots...diametricly opposed climbing spots...for my examples.

Griffin Falls: Small, relativly short, compact crag, off the beaten path, 15 minute approach, good mix of trad and sport with trad lines edging sport 3 to 1 (established lines), fewer established lines but more three-starers by percentage...much potential for new lines or for climbing of lines not in the book...good views of a neighboring farm and the countryside from the top...splitter cracks and bullet sandstone face...cliffline is generally pristine, with the waterfall and dense woods accounting for a great feel of solitude.

Sandrock: Larger area made up of many pinnacles, corridors, boulders, etc...more accessible, with a non existent apporach from a huge paved parking lot, trad, sport and bouldering...what half and half established lines?...great views from the top of many lines of Weiss lake and surrounding areas...descent mix of face and crack, mostly favoring pebbly face with flakes, pinches, and crimpers...clifflines and walking paths lightly to heavily littered, camping is highly impacted, maybe piles of human dookie in the woods on the rfar side of the road from the camping spots, usually crowded on the weekends...

Yadda, yadda....so let's look at five factors and I will give my subjective rating for each...4 being the 'best', one being the 'worst'.

GF SR
Climbing Quantity: 2 3
Climbing Quality: 3 3
Aesthetics: 3 2
Approach: 3 4
Graffitti/Garbage: 4 1

TOTALS: 15 13

GF scores higher for me. I like the place more. I'm simple.

Further to this, I will add that, indeed, GF does not edge SR by much on my ratings scale...but it loses major points with negative multipliers of 1. my experiences there, 2. my general feeling of 'ickyness' when there, and 3. my opinion of sport vs. trad...with which you are all familiar...except maybe John, he has had the luxury aof not hearing my spouting about sport...but his day is coming.

All this from a lowly 5.9 trad climber...

Flame away crackers, flame away.

Lighterknot

Dec 13, 2007, 4:45 PM
Post #20 of 38 (6813 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My take on your "logic" is that when I go climbing I go to climb as many routes as possible because I want to get better. I also want the routes to be good quality and fairly tall. Your factors of aesthetics and graffiti/garbage aren't part of my "equation" so maybe that is why Sandrock doesn't bother me.

Prolly the same reason I still want to go to T-wall so bad even with the break-in problems.

weatherm

Dec 13, 2007, 7:39 PM
Post #21 of 38 (6799 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At least at Griffen Falls you don't risk getting Hepatitis C by sticking your hand in a crack :P

I'm done crag climbing for approx 6 months. I got big balls, so I need big walls.

Lighterknot

Dec 13, 2007, 7:52 PM
Post #22 of 38 (6798 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

so Rhett, in this 6 months you plan on climbing where and how often? Thoes "big walls" are kind of far from south Georgia eh? i mean more power to you, but that sure seems like some missed opportunity to climb more often.

weatherm

Dec 14, 2007, 1:41 PM
Post #23 of 38 (6776 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Plane tickets babe! Mt. Rainier / Washington Pass.... Devils Tower... and over xmas go travel to Egypt with the Mrs.

CLIMBNBIKER

Dec 14, 2007, 3:17 PM
Post #24 of 38 (6772 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I hear there's a couple of BIG'ns bout an hour and a half North of me.

Lighterknot

Dec 14, 2007, 4:27 PM
Post #25 of 38 (6766 views)
Shortcut

Re: [CLIMBNBIKER] Sandrock, AL topo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Rhett you need to send some of that cash this way so i can travel all over the country climbing and what not.

Paul you talkin LK?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - South

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook