RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

deepplaymedia

Dec 12, 2007, 6:21 AM
Post #1 of 18 (4785 views)
Shortcut

wheels & wax
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

an awesome site & forums for those of you who are serious about the business side of adventure sports photography, make sure you check out this site; http://www.wheelsandwax.com/

it is an absolutely invaluable tool if you are trying to make it in the industry. we now have our own rock forums, so make sure you utilize them for critiques of your best new shots!

cheerio,
jc

guangzhou

Dec 12, 2007, 6:41 AM
Post #2 of 18 (4775 views)
Shortcut

Re: [deepplaymedia] wheels & wax [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

deepplaymedia wrote:
an awesome site & forums for those of you who are serious about the business side of adventure sports photography, make sure you check out this site; http://www.wheelsandwax.com/

it is an absolutely invaluable tool if you are trying to make it in the industry. we now have our own rock forums, so make sure you utilize them for critiques of your best new shots!

cheerio,
jc

Thanks for the link. Can you clarify why this site in Invaluable to anyone trying to make it in the industry. I wonder if it’s not a typo on you original post, maybe you meant to say unvaluable. (not a real word, but understandable.
I must have overlooked all the great recourses and information on this Adventure sport Photography resource.

Anyways,
Thanks Again
Eman

pico23

Dec 12, 2007, 7:39 AM
Post #3 of 18 (4760 views)
Shortcut

Re: [guangzhou] wheels & wax [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou wrote:
deepplaymedia wrote:

cheerio,
jc

Thanks for the link. Can you clarify why this site in Invaluable to anyone trying to make it in the industry. I wonder if it’s not a typo on you original post, maybe you meant to say unvaluable. (not a real word, but understandable.
I must have overlooked all the great recourses and information on this Adventure sport Photography resource.

Anyways,
Thanks Again
Eman

hey I thought you guys kissed and made up after that whole micro something thing thread.

i guess not.

so much for my theory that climbing could foster world peace.

time to look at the site and see who's right.

pico23

Dec 12, 2007, 7:47 AM
Post #4 of 18 (4757 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i can see potential for it...book marked it and added it to my RSS news reader under photography.

RSS feeds are great, no need to visit the site unless something intrigues you.

Anyway, the site isn't much now, looks like it might fill a niche at some point as it evolves.

I do think its funny how technology has jaded us. A few years ago the D70s was the bomb, now people claim you can't take a good photo with it (from the site I inferred this).

Sure there are faster cameras but the D70s didn't slow down, the others just got faster. I wonder how people were creating images for the last 3 years!!!!

guangzhou

Dec 12, 2007, 1:41 PM
Post #5 of 18 (4706 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pico23] wheels & wax [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

pico23 wrote:
i can see potential for it...book marked it and added it to my RSS news reader under photography.

RSS feeds are great, no need to visit the site unless something intrigues you.

Anyway, the site isn't much now, looks like it might fill a niche at some point as it evolves.

I do think its funny how technology has jaded us. A few years ago the D70s was the bomb, now people claim you can't take a good photo with it (from the site I inferred this).

Sure there are faster cameras but the D70s didn't slow down, the others just got faster. I wonder how people were creating images for the last 3 years!!!!

Personally I still like the D70 just fine. True, other cameras have gotten faster, but the D70 is still a nice camera.

In all honesty, I don't know the guy(deep Media), but I hope to climb with him one day. Heck, I might even let him photograph me and I would sign his model release form too. His images are spectacular and I have learned a few things from him on his website and here.

DeepMedia and I don't agree on royalty free, fine, my best friend and I don't agree on a lot of things. We debate, sometimes we even argue, but we both know each other well enough tor respect each others point of view.

In this case, I don't personally know him, but I will say, there's more than one way to get the job done. I will also say, one thing I like about deepmedia is he isn't afraid to stand up for what he believes and he doesn't back down. That I respect and I have a feeling he and I would make great climbing partners if we lived closer.

Don't tell him I said any of tis, I'll deny it all.

Cheers
Eman

another stock photo link for those interested. Deep, this one might actual help you out.
http://www.selling-stock.com/

(This post was edited by guangzhou on Dec 12, 2007, 1:43 PM)

pico23

Dec 12, 2007, 3:33 PM
Post #6 of 18 (4687 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I always wonder what Henry Bresson would think of peak of action photography these days.

Any camera can capture a peak of action moment, it's called pressing the shutter milliseconds prior to the peak of the action. With say a D1H, if you press the shutter 37 milliseconds before the anticipated point of action you should capture it even on single frame shot mode. You can also do this on manual wind film camera as many have done before us.

Statements like, "it's not good for anything but still photos" intrigue the hell out of me.

deepplaymedia

Dec 12, 2007, 4:53 PM
Post #7 of 18 (4661 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Can you clarify why this site in Invaluable to anyone trying to make it in the industry

Certainly!

There are quite a lot of people who lurk in those forums, people who know the game very well- top photographers, photo editors, art directors, etc from many of the major publications in the adventure sports (ski/snowboard/skate/surf/wake/climbing etc) arena.

Aside from the obvious networking opportunities, the presence of these people in an environment designed for the sharing of opinions and information would certainly be considered a good thing for someone trying to learn their way in the photo-world, no?
If you have a thoughtful question then you can be sure you will get an appropriate response!

Also, one might choose to post one's images in the critique forums... if one were to do this with any semblance of regularity, and then take on board the critiques offered (which unlike most photo sites, are generally real & constructive critiques from people who have a clue!) the quality of images one produces would certainly improve dramatically!!

Alternatively, one might be seeking to purchase, trade or sell gear, or obtain direction towards good deals. One might then choose to post such queries/information in the 'Market' forums?!

If you would like, I can continue?

generationfourth

Dec 12, 2007, 5:14 PM
Post #8 of 18 (4649 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cool site. skating, climbing, photog, pretty much covers it all

grayhghost

Dec 12, 2007, 6:04 PM
Post #9 of 18 (4634 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
please Josh, may I?
W&W joins leading photographers and photo editors from nearly every action sports field into one place to critique your images. Rather than shooting in a vacuum by yourself you can be exposed to cutting edge images and image makers. When you throw yourself into the deep end of the pool you will learn how to swim.
W&W is not solely about how to make money in the photo industry, it's a collection of like-minded individuals who want to push each other to make the best images possible.
W&W is a fanatic group of sports shooters who simply want to capture the beauty of their chosen sport and display it to the world.
If you fit this description, please join. If you are just looking to make a quick buck, look elsewhere.

pico23

Dec 13, 2007, 7:39 AM
Post #10 of 18 (4595 views)
Shortcut

Re: [grayhghost] wheels & wax [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

grayhghost wrote:
In reply to:
please Josh, may I?

W&W is a fanatic group of sports shooters who simply want to capture the beauty of their chosen sport and display it to the world.
If you fit this description, please join. If you are just looking to make a quick buck, look elsewhere.

This is definitely true. But even if not constructively critiqued, if you have any self respect, as you post images regularly you will be driven to do better. You will become more in tune to what is good and bad.

Personally, even though a site like flickr is mostly Rah rah, great photo, I'm driven to make each one better than the last as I try to come up with either new, or better ideas on a regular basis.

If anything, I think the digital age has seen an increasing talent pool of photographers not because it's cheaper to experiment, but because you aren't locked in a bubble (as one of you noted above). And because you can readily compare it to many many many many more sources than in the analog age.

12 years ago, my reference points were a few AP photogs in the newpaper, or a few SI guys. Maybe a few photographers in a climbing mag. Basically, it was a very closed way to see and learn. Feedback was your friends and family at most.

Ever wonder why those people trying out for American Idol truly think they are good? No one ever told them they weren't because they would only sing for friends and family. Thats what a closed feedback loop does.

Of course people without talent, desire, and self respect never will get better regardless. so some things don't change with the medium.

guangzhou

Dec 14, 2007, 12:28 AM
Post #11 of 18 (4552 views)
Shortcut

Re: [pico23] wheels & wax [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

This is definitely true. But even if not constructively critiqued, if you have any self respect, as you post images regularly you will be driven to do better. You will become more in tune to what is good and bad.

Personally, even though a site like flickr is mostly Rah rah, great photo, I'm driven to make each one better than the last as I try to come up with either new, or better ideas on a regular basis.

If anything, I think the digital age has seen an increasing talent pool of photographers not because it's cheaper to experiment, but because you aren't locked in a bubble (as one of you noted above). And because you can readily compare it to many many many many more sources than in the analog age.

12 years ago, my reference points were a few AP photogs in the newpaper, or a few SI guys. Maybe a few photographers in a climbing mag. Basically, it was a very closed way to see and learn. Feedback was your friends and family at most.

Ever wonder why those people trying out for American Idol truly think they are good? No one ever told them they weren't because they would only sing for friends and family. Thats what a closed feedback loop does.

Of course people without talent, desire, and self respect never will get better regardless. so some things don't change with the medium.

I think they several site where you can get constructive critism and learn.

I have to agree, sites with good and honest feed back and constructive critiscm have help bring out the best inphotogrpahers who want to improve.

I also think you need to sort through the comments on most sites. Even Flickrs has a few user groups that are good for critics and comments.

Eman

guangzhou

Dec 14, 2007, 12:52 AM
Post #12 of 18 (4541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I should add, two site who have great critics:

MPIX.com Forums. This is mostly for portrait and wedding stuff, but they help eachother with everything. Learning about protrait and wedding photogrpahy will definately improve your climbing images too. Sort of like hard sport climbing will improve you trad climbing.

The forums on Shutterstock.com. Yes, I know they are a micro stock, but if you look beyond that and cruise the forums, you can get a otn of great information on improving images. Especially if you want to sell them or display them on your own website.

Cheers
Eman

guangzhou

Dec 17, 2007, 6:33 AM
Post #13 of 18 (4407 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

grayhghost wrote:
In reply to:
please Josh, may I?
W&W joins leading photographers and photo editors from nearly every action sports field into one place to critique your images. Rather than shooting in a vacuum by yourself you can be exposed to cutting edge images and image makers. When you throw yourself into the deep end of the pool you will learn how to swim.
W&W is not solely about how to make money in the photo industry, it's a collection of like-minded individuals who want to push each other to make the best images possible.

I just looked at the site again and I don't see to many "Leading photographers' post. Just because a site says it does something, doesn't mean it happens.

deepplaymedia

Dec 17, 2007, 9:58 AM
Post #14 of 18 (4392 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not going to argue with you matey, I KNOW what the site is & does... I know who posts there and have a decent idea of who is lurking. I know it has helped me & a lot of other photographers. And I know that it won't really affect me if you don't want to take advantage of the site as a resource but I believe it's your loss.

In reply to:
Just because a site says it does something, doesn't mean it happens.

I'm not recommending it on a blurb, I'm recommending it on my personal experiences as an active member of the site since it was launched in Jan '05.

deepplaymedia

Dec 17, 2007, 10:01 AM
Post #15 of 18 (4391 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Even Flickrs has a few user groups that are good for critics and comments.

I assume you are reffering to the Wheels & Wax flickr group? Tongue

guangzhou

Dec 17, 2007, 12:31 PM
Post #16 of 18 (4381 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

deepplaymedia wrote:
I'm not going to argue with you matey, I KNOW what the site is & does... I know who posts there and have a decent idea of who is lurking. I know it has helped me & a lot of other photographers. And I know that it won't really affect me if you don't want to take advantage of the site as a resource but I believe it's your loss.

In reply to:
Just because a site says it does something, doesn't mean it happens.

I'm not recommending it on a blurb, I'm recommending it on my personal experiences as an active member of the site since it was launched in Jan '05.

I can see who has posted there too. I booked marked the site the first time you recomended on this site. Not sure if I am right, but you were a major part of the launch crew if I remember correctly. I could be wrong here. I have agood memory, but who posted what isn't at the top of my list of things to remember.

Thanks for not arguing, I appreciate that,but I still don't know why this is an invaluable tool for those in the bussiness of photography.

Does it help me spot new development in the marketing and sells of my images?

Does it have a list of photobuyers or photo request?

Does it tell me how to more effectively market my images to a broader audience?

Does it give me new or any insight on building my brand/photography bussiness?

Personally, I don't see any of that. What I do see is a good site for people interested in photography.

I see a nice casual forum, not unlike the one here on RC.com or any other photogrpaher's forum.

I also see a website that could use alittle cleaning up, seems to have to much dead space on many of the pages.

Personally, I have no idea who is lurking where. I am sure some editors, art directors, and other photobyers lurk here too. Actually, of this I am certain.

So, again, how is this link an invaluable rescourse.

Cheers
Eman

grayhghost

Dec 17, 2007, 6:09 PM
Post #17 of 18 (4351 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

guangzhou,
There is a large private section of W&W accessed by invite. If your images are of a high quality you can contact the administrator for an invitation.
The great thing is I have seen members start out with terrible shots, work hard and take their work to a very high standard, eventually making contact with the world's leading action-sports editors.
The standard W&W shot is of a much higher quality than the typical Flickr or stock pool and W&W offers a structured way to improve your shooting and eventually play with the big boys.
While you are not seeing the best that W&W has to offer, have faith that if you improve your shooting you could have a chance to work with the world's best sports photographers.

guangzhou

Dec 18, 2007, 12:43 AM
Post #18 of 18 (4302 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

grayhghost wrote:
guangzhou,
There is a large private section of W&W accessed by invite. If your images are of a high quality you can contact the administrator for an invitation.
The great thing is I have seen members start out with terrible shots, work hard and take their work to a very high standard, eventually making contact with the world's leading action-sports editors.
The standard W&W shot is of a much higher quality than the typical Flickr or stock pool and W&W offers a structured way to improve your shooting and eventually play with the big boys.
While you are not seeing the best that W&W has to offer, have faith that if you improve your shooting you could have a chance to work with the world's best sports photographers.

A private by invite section on the site, that sounds interesting and might have potential. Sure wish the site had that mentioned somewhere on it so first time visitor can find out about it.

better than the stock pool, I am not sure I understand this to well. I submit images to several stock agentcies. Some micros, some traditional libraries and all have some fantastic shots on them.

The way I see it, all photos taking while not shooting on assignment and then being marketed are stock photos. basically, the photographer shoots images that he thinks photo-buyers would be interested in.

I might even be tempted to put fine art into the same category.

So, I am not sure what you meant by better then the stock pool. Thanks for setting me straight on what W&W has to offer.

Eman

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook