RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

slackin-jer

Dec 13, 2007, 9:25 PM
Post #1 of 4 (3243 views)
Shortcut

Trying to make Slackin' legal in Monterey County...Need help
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey guys, I am posting this for a friend of mine who is also an avid slacker and we are trying to make slacklining legal in Monterey County. We had a city council meeting last night to introduce the topic to the board and we got onto the agenda for January 9th. One of the questions that the board members asked us was how many people are into slacklining; I told them that there was an huge population of people all over the world that are into this.

What I need from you guys is just to post a shoutout with your name, where you live, how long you been slackin, and if possible, a picture of yourself slackin'. If you guys could do that and tell your friends about it too, it would help us out so much. I will start for me and my friends...

Name: Jerry
How long?: About 6 months
Picture: No picture :/

Name: Pierre
How Long?: About a year
Picture: None on this computer

Name: Dan

Name: Eric

Name: Bobby
How long?: About a year

Name: Charlie

If you guys could do something similar that would be awesome and help out so much. I will let you guys know the specifics of the case as we get more and more information. I also posted this in the SLB forums.

anykineclimb

Dec 13, 2007, 9:43 PM
Post #2 of 4 (3225 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slackin-jer] Trying to make Slackin' legal in Monterey County...Need help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

seriously??

illegal?? in city parks or something?

Partner slacklinejoe

Dec 14, 2007, 4:53 PM
Post #3 of 4 (3177 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slackin-jer] Trying to make Slackin' legal in Monterey County...Need help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If you need some help, shoot me a more specific email with who is involved, what their questions are, what you've told them thus far. I probably have stats they want to hear that aren't common knowledge.

I have served as an ambassador to lots of places (universities, schools, parks and cities) so I'm familiar with most of their concerns as well as representing the slackers interest in a positive light. Usually their concerns boil down to two areas, personal safety for the participants and safety of the trees / area / bystanders where you are.

Number wise if you assume that for each kit we sold at least 2 people are active in the sport then my list of slackers is somewhere around 10,000. Given the market and the history I'd suggest in reality it is more than 50,000 who have done it enough to get the basics who may not be currently active.

Personally I know our workshops at universities have got at least 4,000 people on the line even if they didn't do much other than a couple passes holding someone's hand.

Out of all of that injuries are incredibly rare and almost always attributed to someone who already has the basics down while they are trying some new trick. To my knowledge there have only been a handful of moderate to serious injuries with no deaths, even if you count highlining to which I can attribute a couple known cases broken bones, including a back.

Note, this isn't just climbers, anymore climbers only make up a moderate percentage of slackers, you just never see the other folks in the physical rehab facilities, gymnastic arenas, subruban private backyard parties and such. If you just want to consider climbers then think how many people try it at your local gym in a year, that number is probably several hundred if not thousands.

taydude

Dec 14, 2007, 5:33 PM
Post #4 of 4 (3158 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slacklinejoe] Trying to make Slackin' legal in Monterey County...Need help [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Taylor

Buffalo/ Rochester, NY

1.5-2 years ( and i still suck )

(This post was edited by taydude on Dec 14, 2007, 5:34 PM)

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook