RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Alpine & Ice

Premier Sponsor:

Partner angry

Dec 14, 2007, 8:20 PM
Post #1 of 22 (4174 views)
Shortcut

Gloves, durability and warmth
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm looking at my Black Diamond Ice gloves that are basically new. They're pretty much on their last legs.

They have a tear in the palm and both index fingers are splitting. I'm going to do my best to patch them but I bought them last May for $100 and have used them like 5 days total. That's total shit. Aside from that, I really like the gloves.

So what do you have? Are they warm? How waterproof are they? How do they hold up?

Please tell me about stuff you've got that's lasted for ages. I am not one to drop big money on gear that wears out so quickly.

anykineclimb

Dec 14, 2007, 8:56 PM
Post #2 of 22 (4152 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Gloves, durability and warmth [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think you should talk to BD about your gloves wearing out so quickly. seems a bit premature for gloves to wear out. I've had pretty good luck with the durability of BD gloves

Do you only use the one pair? I use multiple gloves during the day. Generally an approach pair, belay gloves and climbing gloves.

As of yesterday I'm up to 5 pair of gloves.
BD windstopper, Deviant, Punisher and Torque(just got these)
OR softshell

The windstopper and softshell are pretty much approach gloves.
On the hike in, I'll keep the other gloves in my jacket to warm up.
The Punisher gloves are really warm (almost too warm) ; they're also waterproof which was the primary reason I got them.
The Deviants are nice for drytooling but aren't very warm nor waterproof.
I'm really interested in trying out the Torques this weekend. they're pretty much a mix between the deviant and punisher gloves.

Partner angry

Dec 14, 2007, 9:08 PM
Post #3 of 22 (4146 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anykineclimb] Gloves, durability and warmth [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good idea, I'll call them.

I have a pair of Cloudveil Gloves, no idea what model. They're Schoeller and have padded knuckles. They're thinner and more sensitive than the BD. They were given to me second hand, although they appear in perfect condition they aren't waterproof at all anymore and softshell wash didn't help. I might try revivex. They're good for dry conditions.

My other pair are also Cloudveil and are practically work gloves. They are uninsulated Schoeller and have a way thick leather palm and fingers. They too are starting to lose their water-resistance. They are cold, you've got to deal with some wild barfies most days with them. Indestructable though.

That's why I liked the BD. Warmer than either of my other pair, almost as sensitive, and waterproof. Climbing with no barfies does feel a little like cheating though.

I used mittens in Peru, they really aren't appropriate for what I'm trying here.

anykineclimb

Dec 14, 2007, 9:13 PM
Post #4 of 22 (4143 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Those sound like cloudveil Black Ice gloves. great gloves I hear.
to get some waterproofness back use Kiwi Campdry. You can get it in the shoe section of Walmart. it works REALLY well for waterproofing. in fact, I've used it on boots a few times. good stuff.

Partner lwilson

Dec 14, 2007, 9:23 PM
Post #5 of 22 (4137 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
Please tell me about stuff you've got that's lasted for ages. I am not one to drop big money on gear that wears out so quickly.

Patagonia has these guys .... http://www.patagonia.com/...H.SEARCH_TERM:GLOVES which are durable, don't get soaked, and if you don't like the liner, you can throw your own in there. And of course, if anything happened to them, Patagonia will fix them/give you credit.

mtselman

Dec 14, 2007, 9:36 PM
Post #6 of 22 (4126 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For me BD Ice Gloves are a bit too bulky. I picked up a pair of Mammut Eclipse gloves last year and they show minimal wear after a bit of New England ice-climbing and a couple of higher mountains.
They stay reasonably dry as long as you are active. Lighter and more nimble than BD Ice, but reasonably warm.
Got them on sale for $40 at EMS. They don't seem to be in stock there anymore but here is a link: http://www.ems.com/...d_id=845524442591036

YMMV

--Misha

vashie

Dec 15, 2007, 1:53 AM
Post #7 of 22 (4086 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mtselman] Gloves, durability and warmth [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Revivex didn't do a damn thing to my Schoeller Cloudveil "ice" flow gloves. The best way to keep yer climbing gloves in the best tip top condition is... rappel gloves! A pair of all leather waterproofed work gloves works great. I also see marmot makes an insulated leather work glove for fifteen bucks. well worth it if it means you get several seasons out of your gloves. But still five days? that is weak. I have at least 30+ days of ice on my BD ski gloves

Partner angry

Dec 15, 2007, 2:06 AM
Post #8 of 22 (4082 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vashie] Gloves, durability and warmth [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm thinking about these. More of a glove than their other leather ones and look pretty damn tough.

http://www.backcountry.com/...ove.html?id=58CAPfq9

gargrantuan

Dec 15, 2007, 6:28 PM
Post #9 of 22 (3999 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i use BD ice gloves for belaying and OR Alibi gloves for climbing. i find that i can handle non-insulated gloves when i am climbing and that switching out at the belays is the best way to keep my hands warm, dry(ish), and happy.

one of my partners and silly good alpine climber refuses to use any type of glove with leather because it saturates and freezes. he mostly uses the punisher (i think that's it) also because they only last him a few months, they're cheap, and easy to patch.

use seamgripper liberally on the holes, it works really well. also, OR has an infinite guarantee on their handwear and if you call their warranty department they'll replace them pretty much no questions asked. it is almost like being sponsored by OR because i am constantly sending one pair back and getting a replacement.

Arjen

Dec 15, 2007, 7:26 PM
Post #10 of 22 (3985 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use Dachstein mitts, they're made of boiled wool, and are not water and windproof. But they're warm. Very warm. And they're also warm when wet... as they're made out of wool.

They are a bit more fiddly than gloves, but I had no problems tying knots or clipping- when ice climbing the pro is sparse anyway.

They cost about 20$ (I think) and can be repaired easily by stitching. They do wear, but that's normal for wool- they don't rip though.
I like them for winter climbing, as they somehow stick to ice.
These are mitts lots and lots of winter climbers trust their hands to in Scotland, which gets lots and lots of minging, horrible weather... worth a try?

vashie

Dec 16, 2007, 12:32 AM
Post #11 of 22 (3954 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Haha, I just got a pair of those last week and LOVE them. They have greater dexterity than my old marmot work gloves, and are nice and warm. Hovever I have only worn them at work and have yet to climb in them Frown

justinboening

Dec 16, 2007, 1:31 AM
Post #12 of 22 (3939 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Angry,

My vote is for the Patagonia Stretch Element. They're really durable, warm, extremely weather resistant, and the most versatile package I've seen. I often wear the shell, which has a thin fleece lining sewn in, directly over my hands when climbing. I carry the pile liners in my jacket to keep them warm. When I stop to belay, I just put the newly warmed liners in in the shells. Light, compact, and fairly simple. The pile liners slide surprisingly well into the shells.
I also have to say though, five days is way too quick for a climbing glove to wear out. Jut talk to BD. And if the talking doesn't yield the desired outcome, use a crowbar.
Good luck, Angry.

sittingduck

Dec 21, 2007, 3:20 PM
Post #13 of 22 (3816 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also looking for good gloves.
Not impressed with my latest ones from Marmot:

mattb1921

Dec 21, 2007, 4:20 PM
Post #14 of 22 (3798 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vashie] Gloves, durability and warmth [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

vashie wrote:
The best way to keep yer climbing gloves in the best tip top condition is... rappel gloves! A pair of all leather waterproofed work gloves works great.

Amen to this. I always carry like five pairs of gloves when climbing. If I get on something multi pitch I have the BD Punisher glove which I love. For rapping I just throw some leather gloves in my jacket. They don't need to be super insulated. Doing this will save your gloves and keep some coin in your pocket.

Partner angry

Dec 21, 2007, 4:27 PM
Post #15 of 22 (3796 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mattb1921] Gloves, durability and warmth [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

While I don't disagree with the rappel glove to save your gloves idea, unfortunately, thats not wear mine wore out.

The more I think about it, I might just buy a thin pair of gloves and carry some fleece mittens to keep warm with. My friend had some funky Kevlar gloves that looked way tough, I might look into something like that.

builttospill

Dec 21, 2007, 5:28 PM
Post #16 of 22 (3784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What are you guys doing that wrecks gloves so thoroughly in the palms? I don't climb mixed, but I've got probably 20 days of ice and a bit of snow/rock climbing on my BD ice gloves and they look almost new (granted, only a couple pitches a day for 20 days, I'm not out ALL day). I've also got some Scott snowboarding gloves that are thinner that aren't very heavily worn either.

time2clmb

Dec 22, 2007, 6:18 AM
Post #17 of 22 (3741 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

They don't make the BD ice gloves like they used too. I have an old style pair that's about 6 years old and still going strong. I use them for every thing from ice to skiing. I don't even think they make them with removable liners anymore... I wouldn't buy them again because of the changes they made.

stymingersfink

Dec 26, 2007, 8:36 PM
Post #18 of 22 (3589 views)
Shortcut

Re: [time2clmb] Gloves, durability and warmth [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

time2clmb wrote:
They don't make the BD ice gloves like they used too...I don't even think they make them with removable liners anymore... I wouldn't buy them again because of the changes they made.
Yeah, I hear ya there. I got a pair the first year they started making integrated liners, and unfortunately they are showing the wear. I hesitate to replace them for the same reasons you have stated...

I HATE shopping for warm gloves, its so difficult to find a pair that meet the criteria (warm, waterproof, fingers long enough, etc) that I've held onto my old Ice Gloves well past the point I should have. I don't wear them on lead anymore, but damn-it it's impossible to climb without having them in my pack for the belays at least.

grumble, grumble, mumble, grumble.

WTF, BD?!?! GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER ON THE SOFT GOODS!!!

Oh, wait. That's right... they quit expending energy on the soft-goods so they could focus on the Hardware side of things, like... skis!Crazy

granite_grrl

Dec 26, 2007, 10:19 PM
Post #19 of 22 (3570 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lwilson] Gloves, durability and warmth [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lwilson wrote:
angry wrote:

Patagonia has these guys .... http://www.patagonia.com/...H.SEARCH_TERM:GLOVES which are durable, don't get soaked, and if you don't like the liner, you can throw your own in there. And of course, if anything happened to them, Patagonia will fix them/give you credit.

I think I have an old version of these (can't find any thing else comaprable to what I have on the Patagonia site). They're good, fit me really well and the palm is only now starting to show wear from rappelling and belaying.

I'll wear these gloves for colder days, but I'm finding I really really enjoy climbing wearing these gloves: http://www.mec.ca/...;bmUID=1198707435016
These things are friggn' awesome. Best for single pitch stuff with slingshot belays. Wear them as liner gloves in your belay mits, and just climb in them. And at $15 a pair you can have a couple in case they get wet and you don't have to care if you destroy them.

timd

Dec 27, 2007, 10:50 AM
Post #20 of 22 (3533 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] Gloves, durability and warmth [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Angry,

I have a pair of the Marmot Randonee gloves. I,ve been climbing in them for about 5 years now and they look new. Check them out.

Sittingduck: What the hell did you do to those things! You should only use a paper shredder for shredding paper.

(This post was edited by timd on Dec 27, 2007, 10:54 AM)

chedontsurf

Jan 3, 2008, 8:56 PM
Post #21 of 22 (3395 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anykineclimb] Gloves, durability and warmth [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

that's a lot of $ for gloves... i wish i could afford afford a system that nice. i'm part of the low income leisure class. i use all-leather work gloves. i boy 'em big enough to wear w/ a thin liner underneath. they seem to work well above 0 degrees and they're cheap. when they get wet, i change 'em out for dry ones. i also carry a pair of gore tex mitts for belaying.

freezerfrost

Jan 7, 2008, 10:06 PM
Post #22 of 22 (3272 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chedontsurf] Gloves, durability and warmth [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

vinylove. freezer gloves. $12/pair and they work.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Alpine & Ice

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook