RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

nefarius

Oct 22, 2007, 5:46 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2330 views)
Shortcut

Different Sort of Forearm Pain
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Recently, I've been experiencing a different sort of pain in the forearm. I sometimes have extreme pain when releasing a hold. I find when it starts, I have to release holds very slowly to avoid shooting pain on the inside of my forearm. This seems odd to me. I've been climbing for about 10 years now and have never experienced this sort of pain (even when climbing much harder, more consistently). None of my climbing partners have heard of anything like this before either. I only seem to get this sort of injury/sensation when bouldering or climbing harder sport. When climbing harder trad, I'm using different muscles, so it doesn't occur.

Any ideas? Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks!

lithiummetalman

Oct 22, 2007, 6:25 PM
Post #2 of 7 (2311 views)
Shortcut

Re: [nefarius] Different Sort of Forearm Pain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Possibly a strained extensor? Perhaps best to see a qualified medical doctor specializing in Sports injuries? Best of luck!

drjghl

Oct 24, 2007, 12:40 AM
Post #3 of 7 (2248 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Nerve pain can be tingling, burning, or shooting (sharp and running along the course of a nerve). If you hold your hand facing up and you get a shooting pain on the pinky side of your forearm, sounds like you may have injured your ulnar nerve. Two places where the ulnar nerve can be injured is right at the elbow and at the pinky side of the base of the palm.

ja1484

Oct 24, 2007, 1:22 AM
Post #4 of 7 (2236 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I get tired of having to repeat this:

See a good local physical therapist. Problem solved.

nefarius

Oct 24, 2007, 1:56 AM
Post #5 of 7 (2225 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ja1484] Different Sort of Forearm Pain [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the replies guys. As it turns out, I may have Carpal Tunnel Syndrome. Makes sense as I work in IT and type all day, on top of climbing. Guess we'll find out when I go in.

ja1484: No one is forcing you to keep posting that, ya know. However, I really doubt that people trying to get an idea of what may be going on before getting to the doc will cease. Pretty much normal behavior. A lot of climbing pains can be treated through some reading online and self diagnosis. I suspect that people not running immediately to the doctor every time they stub their toe will not cease.

ja1484

Oct 24, 2007, 2:49 PM
Post #6 of 7 (2206 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nefarius wrote:
Pretty much normal behavior. A lot of climbing pains can be treated through some reading online and self diagnosis. I suspect that people not running immediately to the doctor every time they stub their toe will not cease.

Yes, reading god-knows-what from god-knows-who on the internet is much better than consulting a qualified medical professional.

I see my ignorance now. How dare I.

bbowers

Dec 19, 2007, 8:31 PM
Post #7 of 7 (2082 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

nefarius, just sent you a PM... For the rest of you, I'm having the exact same issue. In my left forearm, close to the wrist... the more slowly i let go of a hold the less the pain presents, if at all. Resting didn't seem to do too much for it then again I only gave it a week. And also I too am in IT, damn computers. Any resolution nefarius?

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook