Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Recommend Salt Lake City?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

movingsomewhere

Dec 20, 2007, 1:09 AM
Post #1 of 5 (2733 views)
Shortcut

Recommend Salt Lake City?  (North_America: United_States: Utah: Salt_Lake_-_Utah_Counties)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hello. I'm considering moving from Colorado to Salt Lake City for graduate school. Is there good climbing around there? How is the weather there, generally? Very sunny? We're trying to figure out if the environment would be right for us. Any personal feelings about Salt Lake or Utah in general would be great to read. Thanks!

Partner supersonick

Dec 20, 2007, 1:20 AM
Post #2 of 5 (2728 views)
Shortcut

Re: [movingsomewhere] Recommend Salt Lake City? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The weather is generally the same as the front range in CO, although it's a little drier, a little hotter in the summer, and a little colder in the winter.

The climbing is ridiculously good and very close to the city, as is the snowboarding.

As for the people, Salt Lake City proper is an extremely liberal small city. However it is surrounded by an extremely conservative county and state filled with Mormans. This does not really bother me. Some people have very strong feelings about Mormans though.

munky

Dec 21, 2007, 4:55 PM
Post #3 of 5 (2682 views)
Shortcut

Re: [supersonick] Recommend Salt Lake City? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea, like its against there rules to drink tea or coffee or alcohol. Or they have to wear a certain type of undergarment as a reminder for chasity. Or that they believe their highest ranking officials are modern day prophets. Does that include Jeffrey's? All I gotta say is WTF?

pfc-monty

Dec 21, 2007, 5:06 PM
Post #4 of 5 (2670 views)
Shortcut

Re: [movingsomewhere] Recommend Salt Lake City? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Get in the car and start driving. The different belief systems will be a little of a culture shock. But the climbing around SLC makes it a moot point. There are too many opportunities to get away from it all to impact my happiness I am sure you will have a similar experience.Smile

Partner supersonick

Dec 21, 2007, 5:21 PM
Post #5 of 5 (2656 views)
Shortcut

Re: [munky] Recommend Salt Lake City? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

supersonick wrote:
Some people have very strong feelings about Mormans though.

munky wrote:
Yea, like its against there rules to drink tea or coffee or alcohol. Or they have to wear a certain type of undergarment as a reminder for chasity. Or that they believe their highest ranking officials are modern day prophets. Does that include Jeffrey's? All I gotta say is WTF?

Case in point.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook