Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

sparky

Oct 12, 2002, 9:53 PM
Post #1 of 27 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Climbing and college
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Did anyone decide where to go to college based primarily on climbing and its realation to the school, I'm looking at colleges now and it is tricky because one (Western State) is so close to the Black Canyon and the other (Ft, Lewis) is close to some super good climbing to. Anyone go to or gone to either of these, if so beta please.

[ This Message was edited by: sparky on 2002-10-12 15:05 ]

k9rocko

Oct 12, 2002, 10:10 PM
Post #2 of 27 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Climbing and college [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Try the University of Utah....

Many canyons within' 20 minute drive. Many more within two hour drive. Of course, you have to study once you get there.... can't climb all the time.

xanx

Oct 12, 2002, 10:20 PM
Post #3 of 27 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

im in the north east, so for climbing here the answer is simple: DARTMOUTH!!! (if you can get in, that is) they have a bomber gym at the campus with, ironically, no campus rungs... looks like i'll have to change that if (when) i get in. seriously, i am really leaning towards Dartmouth cause of hte climbing scene, but it also looks like a really great college anyway - in the top of my list, not considering the gym. my suggestion: go to the college u think u will like best, and pester the administartors until they build a gym. then get a club together to arange trips. unless you are in the middle of kansas or somehting, how far can some climibng be? (ignorant statement, i know...)

mike

lox

Oct 12, 2002, 10:52 PM
Post #4 of 27 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

University of Texas.

Limestone.

lightboi

Oct 13, 2002, 12:26 AM
Post #5 of 27 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing and college do not mix.

College is for serious academic pursuits only. College is a money losing propositon for supposed "smart people". You spend much money for books, lab fees, tuition, and you just skip class to go climbing. Figure out what one hour of lecture time costs you and see what the true cost is of that afternoon bouldering session. On the other hand college is a great way to stay in the parents good graces, keep your health insurance, find dirtbag partners to skip class with, drink beer, put of joining the real world, summer vacation and HAVE CASUAL SEX. Well on second thought, maybe its time to head back to school and make another go round attempt higher education.

now where was those GRE study books again
josh

orangekyak

Oct 13, 2002, 1:10 AM
Post #6 of 27 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mmm college

petsfed

Oct 13, 2002, 1:16 AM
Post #7 of 27 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

While it didn't really weigh into the equation (I was picking between CU-Boulder and U of Wyoming), had I gone elsewhere, it certainly would've come up. As it stands, I'm 20 minutes from Vedauwoo, home of the "hardmen" (on account of some super sharp feldspar crystals in the granite to go with some lovely off-widths), an hour from the Snowy Range for some backcounty skiing and winter mountaineering, and if I ever get bored I can go home to Boulder friday and still be back in time for classes monday.

Incidentally, Western State's in Gunnison right?

xterramo

Oct 13, 2002, 1:26 AM
Post #8 of 27 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I plan on going to grad school in the Texas Hill Country because it is closer to better climbing areas. Their are two schools their that offer my degree. My parents would prefer that I stay in Dallas since their are 2 or 3 schools that offer the same degree. But that won't happen.

jprice

Oct 13, 2002, 3:52 AM
Post #9 of 27 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Funny how our little addictions seem to overrun everything else in our lives. I came to Florida for graduate school, only to take up climbing and decide to head back north to finish up.

From what I understand, depending on what you're studying, Northwestern is a pretty decent school. Of course I'll tell you that you should pick a school based on what you do, but if you don't like being there, then there's not much point, eh? Shoot for the best of both worlds, life's too short.

Climb safe.

galt

Oct 13, 2002, 4:14 AM
Post #10 of 27 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I LOVE YOU LIGHTBOI! Never have I heard a more true statement. Thanks for the GREAT piece of advice.

ps. don't go to college in Florida if
you ever want to climb. that's why
I'm on my way out!

arsenalcrater

Oct 13, 2002, 4:15 AM
Post #11 of 27 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Arizona State University

leeper_z

Oct 13, 2002, 5:17 AM
Post #12 of 27 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

University of Arkansas has my vote(probably because I live 45 minutes from it). UA is close to tons of great climbing areas. CU Boulder is a rad school with lots of climbing minutes away from campus. Bennington in New Hampshire is pretty cool with lots of stuff in the White Mountains and Acadia(3 hour or so hours away). University of Vermont is close to some of the best climbing in the US.

stevematthys

Oct 13, 2002, 11:21 PM
Post #13 of 27 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fort lewis sounds cool, yo.

climbsomething

Oct 14, 2002, 12:06 AM
Post #14 of 27 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It's not like going to school in Colorado or Utah, but the University of Arizona in Tucson is cool. Mt. Lemmon is just on the outskirts of town, Cochise Stronghold is about an hour away and affords plenty of adventure, and we have many other sundry crags here. Climbing at points north of Tucson is easy too, just a couple to 5 hours drive and you've got almost all of Arizona's rock within reach. That said, Northern Arizona University in Flagstaff is cool because of its proximity to tons of quality climbing, but they have real winters, with snow and everything

And for road tripping to SoCal/Southwest climbing areas, Tucson is surprisingly central... Red Rocks, Tahquitz/Suicide, JTree, Enchanted Tower, southern Utah, all within 6-8 hours. Makes for good trippin' on extended weekends.

What lightboi says is SO true though...

Currently in 5th-year-senior-land, with no end in sight (woo-hoo!)...

~Hillary

farmerc

Oct 14, 2002, 12:26 AM
Post #15 of 27 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Here's my list of colleges that I'm looking at and how convieniently located they are:
Cornell (big rock gym, but i'm not so sure about climbing in the area)
RPI (North to the adirondacks, and south to the gunks)
Union (same as RPI)
Princeton (big stretch school, but not that far from the delaware water gap)
Lehigh (not to far from the delaware water gap)
University of colorado-Boulder (i dunno if i'll even get to look at this one, but they do have a good engineering program, and its in BOULDER!)
hehe, and my parents tell me choosing a college isn't about choosing a place to climb for four years...

maculated

Oct 14, 2002, 1:00 AM
Post #16 of 27 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cal Poly, SLO was a great place to be with climbing. Bishop's Peak and the two boulders are good for after school, Pinnacles is an hour away, Santa Barbara an hour and a half, J Tree is five, Castle rock less than two. Yee haw.

Partner camhead

Oct 14, 2002, 5:09 AM
Post #17 of 27 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I did my undergrad stuff in Logan, Utah. Awesome sport climbing three minutes away, SLC area 90 minutes away, City of Rock 2hrs, Maple Canyon 3hrs, and southern Utah 5-6 hrs away.

A good place if you could stand the local religion.

Now I am stuck doing grad school in Dallas, where I hoped my climbing addiction would fade so I could get back to being responsible. No such luck, though. haha!

gumbobob

Oct 14, 2002, 5:57 AM
Post #18 of 27 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Univeristy of Nevada, Reno is a pretty good school for all aorund climbing. Any crag at Lake Tahoe is an hour or less away (Donner, Cave Rock, Lovers Leap) Bishop is 2.5 hrs, Yosemite 3.5hrs, Smith 6 hrs, Vegas 8 hrs, SLC 8 hrs. Skiing and snowboarding during winter, and SF is close for culture. No real good ice climbing though. (and our football team sucks)

bretterick

Oct 14, 2002, 6:37 AM
Post #19 of 27 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm almost ashamed to say this, but I needed to buy a new set of cams so I opted to go to the local community college to get my generals instead of the University of Utah, but the U of U is a way cool school (I'm going next year )

whitenight

Oct 18, 2002, 5:14 PM
Post #20 of 27 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go to whatever school you want, but make sure they have a program you like, not just good climbs. Have you ever heard of the National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS). My brother took a class in Jackson Hole, WY and loved it. You can actually get college credit for taking some pretty cool trips. Of course you have to fork over $$$$ and make sure your college/university will accept the credits! Their website is www.nols.edu GOOD LUCK!

[ This Message was edited by: whitenight on 2002-10-18 10:15 ]

vegastradguy

Oct 18, 2002, 5:30 PM
Post #21 of 27 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I second climbsomething. I'm still mad at myself for spending 4 years at U of Arizona and NEVER CLIMBING ONCE!

Lucky for me, when I did take up climbing, I had this nice little crag called Red Rocks in my backyard. Not to mention I'm only 6hrs away from Mt. Lemmon.

ps- I would NOT recommend UNLV for college, although the climbing is killer here.

tradguy

Oct 18, 2002, 5:52 PM
Post #22 of 27 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Things to note:

If you are choosing where to go to college based on location of good climbing, you'll likely be there more than 4 years. Accept this as truth, and plan for 5 or 6.

Unless you are within about 1/2 hour of the ROUTES (drive + approach) you likely won't be able to climb on weekdays, unless you are very creative with your class schedule. As a result, make sure you are close to a climbing gym.

Climbing walls are a big deal at universities. It takes alot of political BS to get them built. If the school doesn't have one already, don't count on them getting one built any time soon. It took my college about 6 years to get one built, and it wasn't that they didn't have the money.

Remember that all these climbing destinations that people talk about that are "only" 3-4 hours (or more) from the college require a CAR to get there, which many students don't have early on. Be sure there is an active climbing club at the college so you can find partners and people to mooch rides from.

rocknpowda

Oct 18, 2002, 6:04 PM
Post #23 of 27 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

QUOTE:

Unless you are within about 1/2 hour of the ROUTES (drive + approach) you likely won't be able to climb on weekdays, unless you are very creative with your class schedule. As a result, make sure you are close to a climbing gym.

Any college in Salt Lake City is within 1/2 hour of 400+ routes and thousands of boulder problems with multiple kinds of rock to choose from. Oh yeah and the 4 ski resorts , also within a 1/2 hour, get 500+ inches of the greatest snow on earth.

But there are alot of mormons here so ya'll better not come-you might leave sober and with 5 wives.

cragchica

Oct 18, 2002, 7:01 PM
Post #24 of 27 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ah, Yes.
I fortunately got lucky with my choice of university... I had no idea I'd be climbing when I sent in the acceptance letter to the U of A, but lo and behold, two and a half years later I find myself surrounded by beautiful mountains, in perfect weather year-round and just a bike ride from the crags.
Woo Hoo! Tucson Rocks!
Let's see... U of A Climbing Club agenda for this semester: Mt. Lemmon, Mt. Lemmon, Mt. Lemmon, Cochise Stronghold, Mt. Lemmon, Jacks Canyon, Joshua Tree, Red Rocks... Winter Break?!?! Ah - El Gran Trono Blanco anyone?!?!
And with campus a five minute bike ride from the local rock gym... could I ask for anything more?

daggerx

Oct 19, 2002, 2:20 AM
Post #25 of 27 (3826 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Colorado mounatin college in leadvilly colorado for 2 years them im taking a year off then im going to somewhere warm like so cal.

DaggerX

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook