RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

mandrew123

Dec 26, 2007, 11:45 PM
Post #1 of 8 (548 views)
Shortcut

Enchanted Rock
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

This is my first post and I'm not sure its in the right place but here we go...I'm going to Enchanted Rock to boulder, and Im too stupid to have picked up a guide book, and am wondering if anyone has any general advice or a place that can help point out specific problems. I've been to bloodyflappers.com and it had a bunch of good stuff...Any help would be great
Thanks
Andrew

dr_feelgood

Dec 27, 2007, 12:23 AM
Post #2 of 8 (537 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mandrew123] Enchanted Rock [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

mandrew123 wrote:
This is my first post and I'm not sure its in the right place but here we go...I'm going to Enchanted Rock to boulder, and Im too stupid to have picked up a guide book, and am wondering if anyone has any general advice or a place that can help point out specific problems. I've been to bloodyflappers.com and it had a bunch of good stuff...Any help would be great
Thanks
Andrew
Go from the gazebo at the summit trail trailhead. Walk about 500 feet to where the trail runs down a dried stream. Walk down the riverbed till you hit a trail, and then follow the trail till you see a cluster of boulders on your left. Welcome to the dairy farm boulders.
If you are in texas for a while, go every third saturday to the gazebo at 9 am and work on the trail project. You'll get an intro to the locals and very likely a guide around the park on sunday. Tell them Jeff aka dr_feelgood sent you.

rogue10186

Dec 27, 2007, 3:51 AM
Post #3 of 8 (505 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Also, when are you heading out there? I know the park is closed for two weekends or something like that in early January, so check out their website before you head out there... We'll be heading out that way on the first weekend of February, how bout you?

d1r73

Dec 27, 2007, 5:44 AM
Post #4 of 8 (477 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://web.mac.com/...EROCK/ERockHome.html

(This post was edited by d1r73 on Dec 27, 2007, 5:45 AM)

mandrew123

Dec 27, 2007, 4:00 PM
Post #5 of 8 (449 views)
Shortcut

Re: [d1r73] Enchanted Rock [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Going Jan 2-5 so we are good for the dates...thanks for that link, it was unbelievable. Im getting more and more excited!

bigfatrock

Dec 27, 2007, 10:12 PM
Post #6 of 8 (414 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You won't have any problem finding bouldering problems. Dairy Farm boulders are your best bet as mentioned. Another good area to go is easy to find, just follow the parking lot left when you pull into the park and go to the far end of the campsites and you will see a trail. Just follow that trail until you come to the bouldering area. I can't remember the name of it though.

You can also just head up the hill from the parking lot into the Kingdom of Zilch area and just find stuff to climb on their. There is also a killer V2 called Zanzibar, great if you like over hangs and cracks. I have both, so I loath this problem.

Torag7

Dec 27, 2007, 11:15 PM
Post #7 of 8 (393 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Do make sure that you get as much information on E-Rock before you go there, it can be very hard the first time to find your way around. If you follow the Echo Canyon Trail to the left of the summit trail you will run into a rock climbers information board that will give you some beta on the nearby areas, but i'm pretty sure that it only covers roped climbing, not bouldering specifically.

In all honesty you aren't missing out on much not picking up the guide book...its very confusing and the topo is spotty, but the rock here is good, and routes are plentiful, and so in any case you can pretty much assess the difficulty of climbs and just go, even if you don't know the name!

Best of luck, and enjoy Erock!

dr_feelgood

Dec 28, 2007, 3:09 AM
Post #8 of 8 (373 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bigfatrock] Enchanted Rock [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bigfatrock wrote:
You won't have any problem finding bouldering problems. Dairy Farm boulders are your best bet as mentioned. Another good area to go is easy to find, just follow the parking lot left when you pull into the park and go to the far end of the campsites and you will see a trail. Just follow that trail until you come to the bouldering area. I can't remember the name of it though.

You can also just head up the hill from the parking lot into the Kingdom of Zilch area and just find stuff to climb on their. There is also a killer V2 called Zanzibar, great if you like over hangs and cracks. I have both, so I loath this problem.

Black Slabs to the carnivores.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook