RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

crankingclimber

Jan 2, 2008, 3:06 AM
Post #1 of 22 (10848 views)
Shortcut

Rigging/Rope Access/ 'High up jobs'
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all

So, here's the deal: I've graduated with an ever so wonderful but absolutely useless degree - history and english. I had a free ride (and those, btw, are not actually free, so I'm not without debt, but, my debt is far from that of most college grads), and that was the degree I disliked the least, and for lack of something better to do, hey presto, I got the degree. After graduating I spent 6 months or so working as a climbing guide/bum at the New River Gorge, and now that that's up, I'm looking for my next job. I'm pretty interested in rigging/rope access type stuff, and I was wondering who out there has experience, knows of opportunity, or just generaly has knowledge of the biz. In an ideal world I'd be rewelding struts underneath of an offshore oil rig for a month at a time, make a decent amount of money, and then have a month off to climb... or some such crazy nonsense. But, I'll settle for getting my foot in the door however I can. Any help would be appreciated

Will

m_o_n_s_t_e_r

Jan 2, 2008, 4:36 AM
Post #2 of 22 (10802 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crankingclimber] Rigging/Rope Access/ 'High up jobs' [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You can do what I do and wash windows. The company I work for (American National Skyline,inc) www.ansi.com )) is hiring in Philly. It's a good full time job, Union, beni's. Plus your on rope most of the time. I do it here in Cleveland and I love it. Just a suggestion. if your intrested check out the site and call the Philly division or hit me up and I'll get you going. Later.

Partner philbox

Jan 2, 2008, 6:48 AM
Post #3 of 22 (10776 views)
Shortcut

Re: [m_o_n_s_t_e_r] Rigging/Rope Access/ 'High up jobs' [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Of course a trade ticket will get you far more interesting jobs than just washing windows when you are on rope.

bbowers

Jan 2, 2008, 7:53 AM
Post #4 of 22 (10768 views)
Shortcut

Re: [m_o_n_s_t_e_r] Rigging/Rope Access/ 'High up jobs' [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Not to hijack or anything, what does a job like the window cleaning make? I'm just about sick of IT... I live outside of philly, might be interested.

Myxomatosis

Jan 2, 2008, 10:05 AM
Post #5 of 22 (10747 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bbowers] Rigging/Rope Access/ 'High up jobs' [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I heard its pretty rotten at times, cleaning up all sorts of shit (usually bird shit)

rigg-access.com

Jan 2, 2008, 2:44 PM
Post #6 of 22 (10700 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There's some good advice here, however Rope Access, like most other jobs, is only a 'bus ticket' to the work site. You need to have some form of skills/trade once you get there.

The more skills/tickets you have, the more you will get paid. More info is here:
Rope Access Darwinism

I wouldn't say your degree was a waste of time, it demonstrates you can retain information and apply yourself to see through difficult tasks, it's a good base for future learning and qualifications.

As for working offshore? You'll definitely require some extra skills before being let loose in an offshore environment - There's a good article on it here:
Rope Access Jobs on Offshore Platforms

Hope this helps, post back and let us all know how you get on.

mascent

Jan 2, 2008, 3:38 PM
Post #7 of 22 (10678 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are a lot of ways to get into the rigging business that can lead to rope access work. You will need to get either IRATA or SPRAT certified. Most companies will train you for this if they want to hire you full time. Here are some companies that I have worked with:
ropeworks.com
global-ascent.com
skala.com
vertical-access.com

The other way is to work in the concert/ entertainment rigging industry and learn from the ground up. Much more control of your schedule and travel if you want it.

crankingclimber

Jan 2, 2008, 4:09 PM
Post #8 of 22 (10668 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rigg-access.com] Rigging/Rope Access/ 'High up jobs' [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the replies guys, definitely opening up options.

riggaccess.com - cool site you have, one which I hadn't encountered in my research yet. And thanks for the links to the articles - good info for sure.

My current plan is to chase down a couple of leads I have via friends or friends of friends in Las Vegas and Pittsburgh. If that doesn't work out, I'll move on to applying to various companies that seem good for me, and look into courses/course costs vs return etc.

To be a little clearer: I don't mind traveling or going through training. I have pretty much zero rigging experience, but, I'm a pretty handy guy. I know my way around a wood shop well. I've worked construction, although mostly labor type stuff. I'm AMGA certified (although I'm not the biggest fan of that particular organization) and what little rigging I've done ie. setting up long slacklines and the rope trick fun involved in guiding or multipitching has been a blast. All those facts, combined with the job description of most rigging jobs, and the word I've got from friends in the biz, makes me think this might be the next job for me to pursue over the next few years. So, it's not completely random interest here, or some delusion that I'll satisfy all my climbing urges at work (getting on rock, the bigger and harder the better, is a major priority in my life). Again, thanks for the answers and keep em coming

Will

rigg-access.com

Jan 2, 2008, 5:22 PM
Post #9 of 22 (10630 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mascent] Rigging/Rope Access/ 'High up jobs' [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Forgot about the entertainment industry, this is a great one for rigging and sometimes Rope Access, there's a handy site here with all the info:
http://www.stagelink.com
Bit of an unusual way to make a living too.

mascent, I see you have worked for Global Ascent, please pass on my regards to Gareth.

devonick

Jan 3, 2008, 12:53 AM
Post #10 of 22 (10553 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yea window cleaners have to clean off pigeon crap and that creates a healthy passion of hate towards pigeons, in saying that though depending who you work for depend how much you get paid. the company i work for pays me 28 an hour roughly where others in the same city only pay around 16 an hour.

window cleaning is a good entry point and once you know how to clean windows well you can almost get any thing, my plan one day is to travel around the world making money cleaning windows to get to my next stop.

good luck getting into the industry though it can be quite hard

t2stone

Jan 4, 2008, 12:16 AM
Post #11 of 22 (10461 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

whatever you do...
dont go to work 4 capital-towers out of nebraska o.k.? many other t-companies will want you if you know how to rig.. or even better WORK!

crankingclimber

Jan 4, 2008, 12:24 AM
Post #12 of 22 (10453 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Again, thanks for the info everybody.

Another question for rigg-access and anybody else in the biz: can you tell me just how much taking a course, say, an IRATA Rope Access I, will help? It's pretty obvious that getting your foot in the door in this industry is a bit of a trick, and I'm not adverse to taking a course, if I think I'll see a reward. Thanks for the info

Will

lightboi

Jan 4, 2008, 12:33 AM
Post #13 of 22 (10452 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

rigging in the entertainment industry is a tough nut to crack....less and less shows are touring with riggers these days. the ETCP certification for theatrical and arena rigging is meant as a master level certification.

riggers at a concert/live event are the first in(before 8 am) and last out(think midnight)

but the job satisfaction is high, cause you know when the works done. The rig is in the air, or at the end of the day, the truck door is closed.

I got my start as a rigger for concerts a 15 years ago.

Other places in the entertiainment industry that work at height is stage and scaff builds, and as a lighting tech.

Having the physical and mental abilites to work safely at height will get you far in the live entertainment world.

josh

stymingersfink

Jan 4, 2008, 1:57 AM
Post #14 of 22 (10432 views)
Shortcut

Re: [lightboi] Rigging/Rope Access/ 'High up jobs' [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

lightboi wrote:
Having the physical and mental abilites to work safely at height will get you far ...

Having a good work ethic will help too.

I work as a Tower Technician now, though I used to get some work through the local I.A.T.S.E. union setting up/tearing down pretty much any kind of show, be it theater, music, festival (like Sundance)... just that the hours sucked and were pretty spotty for me. That may have been partially because they start at the top of the list and work their way down when they need hands (and everybody started at the bottom at one time, which I've no issue with, but some people regularly getting called before me had a terrible work ethic).

Problem was, I liked to eat in addition to paying rent, bills, etc., so I joined the local Electrical Workers union to get the apprentice Tower Tech job.

Pay's ok, it's nice always working somewhere new, even if the work is mostly the same from season to season. If you have a modicum of intelligence you'd pick up the necessary skills pretty quick. Really, the climbing part has little to do with it... most of the guys I work with on a tower don't necessarily climb for recreation.

rigg-access.com

Jan 4, 2008, 10:53 AM
Post #15 of 22 (10404 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

crankingclimber wrote:
Another question for rigg-access and anybody else in the biz: can you tell me just how much taking a course, say, an IRATA Rope Access I, will help?

If you are looking to do any kind of Industrial Rope Access then you need to be getting a ticket for it. We are not deeply affiliated to any trade organisation (the company are IRATA members) but the IRATA system beats the rest because it is the only truly international ticket.

Once you have it, you open up possibilities to work all over the world if you so wish, the IRATA system is now present in all major countries and is expanding at a very fast rate. Contracting companies are now starting to see the benefits of employing IRATA trained technicians and are eager to employ them.

mascent

Feb 9, 2008, 7:16 PM
Post #16 of 22 (10214 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you go to Las Vegas you will work as much or as little as you want based on your ethic. Some companies will hire you and then hold their own training and certification. www.southwestrigging.com is a new company with a lot of work in Vegas. They are SPRAT certified. Look them up if/ when you go.

asheelliott

Feb 11, 2008, 6:53 AM
Post #17 of 22 (10127 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey, i too have been toying with the idea of window cleaning, as i have just dropped out of college and am looking for ways to capitalize on my strengths (ie good with heights). another idea i had was to find a job working the rigging on some kind of old fashioned sailing ship. has anyone out there done that? or have any suggestions?

tolman_paul

Feb 11, 2008, 11:43 PM
Post #18 of 22 (10076 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I saw the rat guys http://www.ratusa.com/ give a demo in Prudhoe Bay several years back. I'd say getting hitched up with an outfit that does oilfield work is the way to go. Remote jobs are other 2 weeks on, 2 weeks off, or 4 weeks on, 4 weeks off. All room and board is covered during your work hitch, and most outfits pay pretty decently.

robal

Jun 11, 2008, 9:08 PM
Post #19 of 22 (9803 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tolman_paul] Rigging/Rope Access/ 'High up jobs' [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I`m looking for a job. Could be windows cleaning or other rope access works. I`ve worked on ropes for 4 years in Europe. I`ll be in Chicago. Who could help me?

Skidemon27

Sep 14, 2009, 7:42 PM
Post #20 of 22 (9318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

im currently going to school for welding and HVAC,, do u know of anything else i should get into with this IRATA certification..... i wanted to know a trade like welding first that way i can have a trade to use with a level 1 IRATA cert.

Costa

Sep 15, 2009, 12:47 PM
Post #21 of 22 (9233 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Skidemon27] Rigging/Rope Access/ 'High up jobs' [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

IRATA cert 1 is pretty steep here $1600 and your not neccesarily gonna get a job out of it. Then ofcourse if you dont get your hours up it will lapse.

Ive worked on many skyscrapers installing and servicing signage but only from a bowsons chair or BMU. Cant bring myself to spend the dollars

Electricians licence is handy. Bullshit course to go through though

wiki

Sep 18, 2009, 7:10 AM
Post #22 of 22 (9146 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Skidemon27] Rigging/Rope Access/ 'High up jobs' [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Skidemon27 wrote:
im currently going to school for welding and HVAC,, do u know of anything else i should get into with this IRATA certification..... i wanted to know a trade like welding first that way i can have a trade to use with a level 1 IRATA cert.

Most of the work we get through is leaks so waterproof membranes, painting, carpentry and sealant are good things to know...

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook