Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Plannig first road trip to J-Tree
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

estwing

Oct 21, 2002, 3:04 AM
Post #1 of 8 (1783 views)
Shortcut

Plannig first road trip to J-Tree  (North_America: United_States: California: Joshua_Tree_National_Park: _Joshua_Tree_National_Park_Overview_)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi, I have a month long vacation starting december 10 till january 20. I like to sport climb, boulder, and do easy multi-pitch trad climbing (read 5.6 easy!!).

If I were to go to Joshua Tree what area has a lot of easy to moderate climbs?
What kind of rock will I find?
What kind of pro will I need?
Is camping free?
Anything special I should know?

Thanks,
Sam

pbjosh

Oct 21, 2002, 3:22 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1783 views)
Shortcut

Plannig first road trip to J-Tree [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Jtree:
Trad? Cough. Duh. Lots.

Sport? If you're into 5.13 I guess so. Bolts on [ This Message was edited by: pbjosh on 2002-10-20 20:24 ]

pbjosh

Oct 21, 2002, 3:42 AM
Post #3 of 8 (1783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From your other post and your comment "looking for long easy trad routes" it sounds like Red Rocks would totally fit the bill: Kick ass, gorgeous, long, easy to moderate trad routes. Lots of stuff from 3-15 pitches, 5.6ish through the 10's, a few long 11's. Totally gorgeous and fun climbing on high quality sandstone. Check out Red Rocks and Jtree and maybe Bishop for a winter california (and nevada) roadtrip.

josh

Partner pbcowboy77

Oct 21, 2002, 4:29 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out the Events Fourm about J-Tree we will be there at the end of your trip.

-Zac

esoteric1

Oct 21, 2002, 5:00 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you will be in josh for a while, get a site at hidden valley. you will find more fun there and less sollitude at night, especially if you will be there by yourself. you will find people if ya poke around that will be more than happy to point you in any direction you are looking to go. you could spend your whole trip in one area or could find all the classics, bring tape, or pay 4 or 5 bucks a roll there. free water if your tapped at coyote corner, just make sure you put a donation in the bucket, showers there too. hope you have a blast! I always do there
mark

murmeltier

Oct 23, 2002, 7:58 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Joshua tree is a great place. Yes, go to hidden valley. I travelled there once and got to know very nice people. I got the guide from Randy Vogel "SoCa select". There are also other areas in southern california described.

Stephan

dirtbag

Oct 23, 2002, 8:12 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Red rocks - Long, fun multi-pitch. Frog Land, and Prince of Darkness are two great climbs to try.

The camping sucks though - so spend a week there then head for J-Tree, with a mandatory stop in Vegas on the way out (Don't blow all your gas money dude.)

Then just chill in J-Tree for a couple of weeks. If you get bored move on to the So-Cal Coast. But I think you'll find plenty to climb in J-Tree. I say a couple of weeks because the Rock is gonna F*@! up your fingers when you first get there - so be prepared for 3-4 days of pain if you haven't been climbing on course rock in a while.

There was a New Years party on top of a big rock just outside one of the main camping areas the last time I was there (complete with keg and party favors)

Have Fun

Partner phylp

Oct 24, 2002, 12:47 AM
Post #8 of 8 (1783 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I don't know if this is obvious to you, but don't make the assumption that it will be warm because it's far south. All three areas, Bishop, J Tree and Red Rocks are high desert and can be friggin cold and sometimes even snowy that time of year. If it's a clear sunny day it can be great but in the shade with wind and overcast - brrrr.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook