-k

the_climber

Jan 18, 2008, 12:48 AM
Post #28 of 118 (1524 views)
Shortcut

Re: [uhoh] My Brother [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Angry, life can be the shits some days can't they. Hang in there man and keep positive. The waiting game is the hardest part. Wishing the best for your little bro and your Family.

Keep your chin up.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jan 18, 2008, 1:38 AM
Post #29 of 118 (1513 views)
Shortcut

Re: [the_climber] My Brother [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Reading your post, it's so obvious that your brother has the love and support of a caring family, and that will help him as he recovers from the surgery.

It must be so frightening, to get such a sudden shock, with time seemingly moving too fast with the immediate operation, and now to see him in a helpless state so very different than as you know him.

Remember to take care of yourself during this time, too. Try to get rest when you can. don't put too much on your plate and lean on friends, online and in life.

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery for your brother, and strength to you family during this time.

notapplicable

Jan 18, 2008, 3:38 AM
Post #30 of 118 (1499 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] My Brother [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry to hear that angry.

One of the most terrifing things in life is when control is taken away. Give him a few days to let his body reset and then he will be on his way to a full recovery in short order.

Partner angry

Jan 18, 2008, 4:06 AM
Post #31 of 118 (1488 views)
Shortcut

Re: [notapplicable] My Brother [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks guys, your support means a lot.

We were talking about the trip to Indian Creek we had. Paul and I needed something to eat and felt a little lazy. Fortunately for us, we had a 15 year to put to work. We got the kid to run down from the Fin wall to the parking lot and grab us some food. Not only did he come up with a pumpkin pie but he even brought the cool whip. That's how he rolls. Still can't talk but he smiled when I told him about that.

I asked him if he remembered playing with my huge cams in Vedauwoo this spring. He did. I thought he was going to bust out laughing when I asked if he remembered when I got my head stuck in Lucille.

The memory is there. He's just really hurting. Immediately after the surgery we were told that he could talk and use his right side. It was at night that he lost that. That means it wasn't damaged in the surgery but he lost this due to the swelling. Not surprising, you should see the bag of CSF that's collecting. When the swelling goes down it should all return. Even if it was a stroke the doctors say that this young in life he'd probably still be able to recover.

It's amazing. My mom works and has worked at all the different clinics and hospitals in town. She knows every nurse and every doctor. They are all in. My brother is the VIP. The brain surgeon lives in Wyoming because he likes it here, apparently he's so good he can live wherever he wants and people will travel to him. Everyone keeps saying that he's one of the top 5 in the country. I don't know who's ranking them but this guy is good, and we didn't have to travel.

While I'm home I'm sleeping in my brothers bedroom, my old bedroom. It really brings back a lot. His dog, I've posted m34tb0mz of her climbing trees, misses him but cuddles with me at night. I got to see my sister for the first time in over a year and her son. Except for the circumstances, this is a nice trip home. Very low key, no rush, I'm not going home until I have my brother back. I'm just spending time here.

I hope he improves as much tomorrow as he did today. I still don't know anything about the biopsy. It's still one day at a time. Right now I'm focusing on a kid who was tough enough to go to school and do 2 a day swim practices with a tumor in his head. His last race was a week ago. Anyone tough enough to do that can beat this. Thanks for reading my ramblings.

geogoddess

Jan 18, 2008, 4:39 AM
Post #32 of 118 (1479 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] My Brother [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just checked in after being offline for a few days... sorry to hear about your little bro, angry. Keep the vigil with positive thoughts rolling, and know we're all sending some positive thoughts your way too. And enjoy the company of your family: if it wasn't for something like this, another few years might slip by without you guys connecting. He sounds like a stoked young guy, and he's in good care. keep us posted, I hope he pulls out a speedy recovery soon! -GG

Partner macherry

Jan 18, 2008, 4:44 AM
Post #33 of 118 (1476 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:

I hope he improves as much tomorrow as he did today. I still don't know anything about the biopsy. It's still one day at a time. Right now I'm focusing on a kid who was tough enough to go to school and do 2 a day swim practices with a tumor in his head. His last race was a week ago. Anyone tough enough to do that can beat this. Thanks for reading my ramblings.

one tough kid brother. he's gonna beat this!!!!

reno

Jan 18, 2008, 5:21 AM
Post #34 of 118 (1469 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:
The memory is there. He's just really hurting.

Tell his nurse that. Not the doctor. The nurse. Tell her "My brother is in a lot of pain. Fix it. Now."

If the nurse doesn't get the doctor to write a prescription for the pain, get a new nurse.

Seriously. Your brother should NOT be in pain. At all. He might spend a few days gorked from drugs, but he should NOT be in pain.

In reply to:
Even if it was a stroke the doctors say that this young in life he'd probably still be able to recover.

Probably correct. Youthful exuberance and energy will trump physical defect every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Given a "Bring it on, bitches!!" attitude and a strong physical therapy regiment, your brother will hardly notice any long term effects.

In reply to:
It's amazing. My mom works and has worked at all the different clinics and hospitals in town. She knows every nurse and every doctor.

That helps. More than most folks appreciate.

In reply to:
They are all in. My brother is the VIP. The brain surgeon lives in Wyoming because he likes it here, apparently he's so good he can live wherever he wants and people will travel to him. Everyone keeps saying that he's one of the top 5 in the country. I don't know who's ranking them but this guy is good, and we didn't have to travel.

Who is his surgeon, and which hospital? I might know some folks.

In reply to:
Right now I'm focusing on a kid who was tough enough to go to school and do 2 a day swim practices with a tumor in his head. His last race was a week ago. Anyone tough enough to do that can beat this.

Yep. Your bro sounds tough. That will help.

In reply to:
Thanks for reading my ramblings.

'Tis why we're here, guy. We'll always listen when one of our own needs it.

Always.

Chin up, amigo. And get some sleep. Family often suffers more during things like this than the patient. You gotta take care of yourself, broham.

thomasribiere

Jan 18, 2008, 10:45 AM
Post #35 of 118 (1457 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:

Thanks for reading my ramblings.

Man, that's what the community is for. I counted more than once on the community in my tough moments and I was never disappointed.
Your thoughts brought a tear to my eyes.

You'll wake up in a few hours. You'll probably turn the computer on, because it's hard not to do it! And you'll face a new day : I hope it brings you good news.

Be strong, angry!Smile

wanderlustmd

Jan 18, 2008, 12:15 PM
Post #36 of 118 (1449 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thomasribiere] My Brother [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Keep us posted Angry, he'll pull through. We are here to listen and help!

Keeping you in my thoughts/prayers.

binrat

Jan 18, 2008, 12:19 PM
Post #37 of 118 (1447 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thomasribiere] My Brother [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Angry, thats too bad.
16 years old........too young to have to go through this. On a good point hopefully his young age will work on full speedy recovery.
Just hang in there and remain positive for him.

Binrat

bent_gate

Jan 18, 2008, 1:25 PM
Post #38 of 118 (1441 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Wow. It's so hard when something happens to the ones we love the most.

You and your brother (and your family) have my best thoughts and prayers.

rogue10186

Jan 18, 2008, 2:39 PM
Post #39 of 118 (1426 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Damn dude, that's rough stuff, but he sounds like a fighter, he'll pull through. Best wishes to you.

Partner dominic7

Jan 18, 2008, 2:58 PM
Post #40 of 118 (1420 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

angry wrote:

We were talking about the trip to Indian Creek we had. Paul and I needed something to eat and felt a little lazy. Fortunately for us, we had a 15 year to put to work. We got the kid to run down from the Fin wall to the parking lot and grab us some food. Not only did he come up with a pumpkin pie but he even brought the cool whip. That's how he rolls. Still can't talk but he smiled when I told him about that.

I asked him if he remembered playing with my huge cams in Vedauwoo this spring. He did. I thought he was going to bust out laughing when I asked if he remembered when I got my head stuck in Lucille.

The memory is there. He's just really hurting. Immediately after the surgery we were told that he could talk and use his right side. It was at night that he lost that. That means it wasn't damaged in the surgery but he lost this due to the swelling. Not surprising, you should see the bag of CSF that's collecting. When the swelling goes down it should all return. Even if it was a stroke the doctors say that this young in life he'd probably still be able to recover.

It's amazing. My mom works and has worked at all the different clinics and hospitals in town. She knows every nurse and every doctor. They are all in. My brother is the VIP. The brain surgeon lives in Wyoming because he likes it here, apparently he's so good he can live wherever he wants and people will travel to him. Everyone keeps saying that he's one of the top 5 in the country. I don't know who's ranking them but this guy is good, and we didn't have to travel.

While I'm home I'm sleeping in my brothers bedroom, my old bedroom. It really brings back a lot. His dog, I've posted m34tb0mz of her climbing trees, misses him but cuddles with me at night. I got to see my sister for the first time in over a year and her son. Except for the circumstances, this is a nice trip home. Very low key, no rush, I'm not going home until I have my brother back. I'm just spending time here.

angry, hang in there. I'm thinking about you and your little brother.

boo

Jan 18, 2008, 3:15 PM
Post #41 of 118 (1411 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Angry - hang in there. His pain will ease when the swelling subsides. It is hard to watch. Keep him talking to you. Thoughts your way today.

Help your mom get some rest, too....

charley

Jan 18, 2008, 3:38 PM
Post #42 of 118 (1404 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boo] My Brother [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the update. Update not ramlings. You're just keeping friends informed of what's happening in your life. It's just gonna take time but a strong young man like that should heal fine. Prayers and good vibes still being sent.

granite_grrl

Jan 18, 2008, 5:16 PM
Post #43 of 118 (1386 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charley] My Brother [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hang in there. I can immagine how scary this is for you.

olive

Jan 18, 2008, 11:00 PM
Post #44 of 118 (1360 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] My Brother [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Angry, that sounds so scary. I put myself in your place and think how hard it would be to go through this. But, (to repeat what others said) your brother is young and strong, has good support and he, hopefully, will pull through this and make good recovery. You hang in there, and take care of yourself, too.

maww

Jan 19, 2008, 12:07 AM
Post #45 of 118 (1346 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olive] My Brother [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey man thanks for the updates. Glad to hear your brother is surrounded with so much love and support.

I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

I'll send you a PM too with my #. I don't think you're in CO but if you need someone to hang with when you get back, let me know. I'll help as much as I can.

Partner angry

Jan 19, 2008, 4:54 AM
Post #46 of 118 (1324 views)
Shortcut

Re: [maww] My Brother [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks guys, instead of writing up his condition for the day, I'm just copying a pasting a portion of an email I wrote a friend of mine (and his) today.

I found out today that with the size of the tumor, even if it's benign (still waiting on results) that he only had a few days left if they didn't operate. That's a hard one to take considering how much I'm trying to treat this as a simple operation and recovery. I can't hardly even envision that it was my baby brother on a table with his brain out. He's not fighting for his life anymore though, just recovering.

Today was a really hard day on my mom. She's just expecting to see bigger improvements than he can make in a day. It's only just now been48 hours since the operation finished up. He's eating whole food now, not the hospital crap; pizza, chicken nuggets, jamba juice, anything goes with him. He's figured out that he can kick his left leg, he moves it all over. I told him they'd tie it down if he got too wild
with it, he totally understood and calmed down. He's got the brightest eyes, I don't know if I mentioned it but he's got the most beautiful eyes. He's so alert and aware, I have no doubt that he's all there
behind those eyes. I can't wait until he can talk to me again. He made some pissed off grunts today, it means he can use his vocal chords, there's no nerve damage he just needs some time and he'll talk just
fine. Same with his right side, he twitched his thumb today. It's there, it's coming back.

It's just so hard to keep in mind that these things take so much time. We want to let him sleep for an hour and come back in and see everything better.

Partner happiegrrrl

Jan 19, 2008, 7:01 PM
Post #47 of 118 (1299 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh, Angry!

It's okay to cry. And cry, and cry and cry. Your family must be exhausted yet unable to stop with this roller coaster of events and emotions.

You are right - it really is so much to deal with.

Thank God, the universe, simple luck or whatever - that your brother made it to the doctors on time.

It's got to be so hard.

You are doing magnificently, dealing with all this. More wishes upon wishes for the strength, patience and courage you all will need in dealing with this process.

Thanks for the update, and remember to take things easy. You can only do so much, and you need to get rest and nourishment in order to be able to handle this emotional trauma.

Partner macherry

Jan 19, 2008, 8:54 PM
Post #48 of 118 (1286 views)
Shortcut

Re: [happiegrrrl] My Brother [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

baby steps, angry, baby steps, all those little achievements are going to help your brother in recovery.

thanks for the update and again, good, positive thoughts/prayers for your brother, and you and your family.

Partner j_ung

Jan 20, 2008, 1:05 AM
Post #49 of 118 (1267 views)
Shortcut

Re: [macherry] My Brother [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Holy hell! I just saw this. Glad I came in after trickle of good news began. Still, my thoughts are with you and yours, man. I'd be beside myself if it were one of my sisters.

Partner angry

Jan 21, 2008, 3:26 AM
Post #50 of 118 (1220 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] My Brother [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When I got to the hospital this morning, he was just finishing eating breakfast. Everything looked great except one thing was out abnormal. There was an "alpinist" laying on the table.

Apparently, one of the night nurses is a climber and they hung out and read the mag last night. My bro doesn't have a piece of climbing equipment or photo's in the room. He couldn't sleep last night so this guy kept him company. He probably pulled out the magazine for entertainment having no idea how many things this mute kid has climbed. Pretty cool I think and I'm really thankful to this guy for keeping him company when I'm not there.

But it gets better. He's more alert, way more alert than any of the other days. He's great with his head nods for yes and no. He's feeding himself totally, not even spilling.

Then the doctor came in and asked him to say his name. He paused a minute, opened his mouth, and blurted out his name. That right there was just about the happiest moment of my life. I won't lie, I was in tears.

My folks decided to buy him a laptop. I set it up and opened word. The little guy was able to type all sorts of things. It's all left handed and he's got a bunch of junk strapped to his arm, but he was able to do it. Same with writing, really sloppy cause he's not a leftie but he's writing. Still struggling with text messaging but he reviews my responses and pushes send, or not.

He said multiple words today, mom, dad, john, computer, ryan, ok. Nothing huge but I can't tell you how happy it makes me.

He also loved this thread, especially some of the people who know him. Thanks guys.

I probably won't update daily anymore but I'll let you know how things go periodically.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook