RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trip Reports

Premier Sponsor:

climb_eng

Jan 15, 2008, 10:43 PM
Post #1 of 6 (7676 views)
Shortcut

JP's Roadtrip Thread
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've been talking about this for over a year (my friends are getting sick of it actually!) But, shit is coming together.... i'm really close to lining up grad school for September 2008, I've got the money, I've got the time.

So, I am now officially 6 weeks away from my climbing road trip. I've already got my resignation letter for work written up, and I'm going through the process of starting to sell my unnecessary shit.

The trip should go something like this: Leave Calgary, AB on February 29th. Drive to my hometown to hang out with the folks for a few days and drop off my stuff. Pack the car to bare minimum (and do all maintenance, don't want the poor thing to fail on the road!!) and start driving down the coast.

Visiting some friends in Carmel Valley, and family in Los Angeles, then off to the Joshua Tree Climber's Ranch. I plan on residing in Josh until mid April or so, when I'll move on to my next location (Yosemite probably)... I eventually hope to drift up to the Bugaboos and Squamish, starting grad school in Victoria or Vancouver in September.

This whole thing is solo, so I'll be looking for pardners who want to lead and follow trad lines of various difficulty. The ultimate goal is to get good enough to climb Squamish's grand wall.

I'll post updates as I go, please contact me if you need partners (I will be posting in the regional forums also, but only looking for partners).

bustloose

Jan 23, 2008, 8:03 PM
Post #2 of 6 (7522 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climb_eng] JP's Roadtrip Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

you're, ummm, going to go to Yosemite, to 'get good enough' to climb in Squamish?

climb_eng

Jan 23, 2008, 8:26 PM
Post #3 of 6 (7515 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bustloose] JP's Roadtrip Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

No, I think you misread me. I'm going to Yosemite because the weather is shit in Squamish until July. I have a route picked out I've wanted to do for years.... I just want to climb granite cracks for 6 months: Squamish, Josh , Yosemite... whatever, just granite.

m-earle

Jan 25, 2008, 4:21 PM
Post #4 of 6 (7465 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climb_eng] JP's Roadtrip Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sound like a good trip! I believe the rock in josh is in fact quartz monzonite, not granite.

Partner camhead

Jan 25, 2008, 4:40 PM
Post #5 of 6 (7455 views)
Shortcut

Re: [bustloose] JP's Roadtrip Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bustloose wrote:
you're, ummm, going to go to Yosemite, to 'get good enough' to climb in Squamish?

nothing wrong with that. In my opinion, Squamish pwns Yosemite on nearly every front.

Oh, and c_e, clausti and I will be in Squamish in mid-August, maybe we'll see you on the Grand Wall!

climb_eng

Jan 25, 2008, 6:39 PM
Post #6 of 6 (7433 views)
Shortcut

Re: [camhead] JP's Roadtrip Thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey, that would be sweet. Drop me a line when you're coming, I'd love to climb with ya!

Forums : Climbing Information : Trip Reports

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook