RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Injury Treatment and Prevention

Premier Sponsor:

MamaLikesToClimb

Jan 23, 2008, 1:51 PM
Post #1 of 3 (758 views)
Shortcut

Shoulder Injury
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm very new to climbing and in my third month of climbing I made a move where I jumped and all of my weight landed on my already weak right arm. It instantly hurt and I let go and couldn't move my arm for two days. Six weeks have gone by and being the dumbass that I am I didn't take the injury serious. My guess is I pulled or tore the muscle in my upper back. I went climbing this week and I am back to square one. I couldn't complete 5.5 routes and I couldn't put pressure on my right arm if it was raised above me.

I was wondering if anyone has had this injury (or similar) and how long it will take to recover. I am determined to climb soon, so I plan to take easy routes three times a week and lift light weights daily. Does anyone have suggestions?

onceahardman

Jan 23, 2008, 2:02 PM
Post #2 of 3 (753 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MamaLikesToClimb] Shoulder Injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have advised several people here, on exercise, rest, course of healing, etc.

You should see an orthopedic surgeon. Try to find one who treats athletes, rather than the "on-call" guy who pins little old ladies with broken hips. This could be fairly serious.

ps...Why was your right arm "already weak?"

plant_hater

Mar 4, 2008, 11:38 PM
Post #3 of 3 (648 views)
Shortcut

Re: [MamaLikesToClimb] Shoulder Injury [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey,

I'm going to preface this by saying that I am in no way a medical professional, but I'd put a nickel on saying you might have torn your labrum (the cartilage in your shoulder that deepens the socket) when you fell on that arm. Google it and see if the symptoms sound familiar (sudden fall on outstretched arm resulting in decreased overhead mobility, decreased overhead strength, sudden pain or "catching" in the joint, etc.). Either way, if you haven't already sought professional medical advice, please do so immediately. Depending on the injury, it may not be possible for it to heal on its own, and the longer you wait, the longer it will take you to heal.

Just as a warning, MRIs often don't show torn labrums, and you may be looking at surgery to diagnose and treat your injury. If it comes to that, try to find a great physical therapist, and a surgeon you like and trust, because life is not going to be fun for a few months and having confidence in both those people will make things much easier.

Good luck. I hope your shoulder is back in action soon.

Forums : Climbing Information : Injury Treatment and Prevention

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook