Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

l8-start-up

Jan 27, 2008, 4:12 AM
Post #1 of 28 (3488 views)
Shortcut

noob 2 noob - a few thoughts
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I've learned a few things on rc.com, so I'm hoping this might be useful to someone else. Disclaimer: I haven't really gotten to climb on rock yet since I'm in the northeast and it's winter.

1) Started 5 months ago and turn 35 in a couple weeks. You're probably not too old to try. Just take it easy on yourself. Don't try to mimic the kids in the boulder room just yet.

2) Just keep climbing. Unless you're truly injured, get back in there and go up again. Hopefully you can afford a membership or climb a local crag and it won't cost you to go in for a couple climbs and then just belay if your arms are already shot. Just keep going to the gym or crag, keep your excitement up, get tips for healing, learn from watching, just don't let yourself stop going.

3) If you keep busting out your arms so bad you can't climb again for a week, you need to stop trying to climb those 5.10's and practice your footwork on a 5.7 you think you shouldn't climb anymore because you did it 3 times already. Climb it again without making any noise and using your hands/arms as little as possible.

4) You can loose weight climbing, but not if you keep pounding beers every night and eating Cheetos for breakfast. I've lost 15 pounds. No, not setting any records, but it helps. However, I also stopped eating crap for breakfast and drinking beer all the time. YMMV, but give it a try. Note: I did not quit beer. That would be silly. Just better habits.

5) Find some friends to climb with and then stick to a routine of climbing at least twice a week. You can't recondition your body if you don't work at it regularly. Give people a lot of shit if they start missing climb nights. Constantly try to recruit new climbing buddies so you always have a belayer and someone to give you shit.

6) Ask questions, talk climbing as much as you can, and read as much as you can. Particuarly if you sketch easily read The Rock Warrior's Way: Mental Training for Climbers, by Arno Ilgner. At first I thought I wasn't advanced enough for it to help me. Hey, I don't even climb rock yet never mind 5.12 trad. But I was sketching randomly on indoor routes I'd already done. This book helps me understand why and what to do about it.

Bottom line, you're not too old, too fat, too afraid of heights. You probably do have the time if you really want and if you stick with it for a few months I can almost guarantee you will thank yourself. I had every excuse in the world for not trying and every time I learn something new while climbing I think, "Holy crap, I almost missed out on all of this." And that's still staring at carpet, plastic, and plywood.

I'll probably laugh at this post someday. But 15 years ago I watched people climbing at Great Falls, VA and thought to myself, "That looks cool, but I can't do that." That was so dumb. If you're in that situation, just start climbing.

crimping_bum

Jan 27, 2008, 4:24 AM
Post #2 of 28 (3478 views)
Shortcut

Re: [l8-start-up] noob 2 noob - a few thoughts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Carpet, Plastic, and Plywood are not Rock. You should call it Carplaswood climbing. Rock climbing is something that happens when you venture out of doors into the cold, windy, and sometimes wet playground of mother nature. I know your in a situation where you cannot go outside to climb, but Gym climbing is not ROCK climbing.

Good job on the losing weight/getting in shape though.

Partner epoch

Jan 27, 2008, 4:46 AM
Post #3 of 28 (3460 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crimping_bum] noob 2 noob - a few thoughts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good so far.

However I'll beat jt512 to it and recommend that you pick up The Self Coached Climber. It will nip bad habits before they form.

I'm glad someone took the time to read up a bit on here instead of asking a redundant question that has been answered in one of the many redundancy threads.

BTW, where in New England are you?

majid_sabet

Jan 27, 2008, 6:14 AM
Post #4 of 28 (3420 views)
Shortcut

Re: [epoch] noob 2 noob - a few thoughts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I join this club 6 years ago and learned nothing so far

15 years from now I will be LOL looking at this and I know I still would not learn a thing

Partner epoch

Jan 27, 2008, 6:30 AM
Post #5 of 28 (3411 views)
Shortcut

Re: [majid_sabet] noob 2 noob - a few thoughts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

15 years from now I will be LOL looking at this and I know I still would not learn a thing

we know

l8-start-up

Jan 27, 2008, 2:27 PM
Post #6 of 28 (3331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

crimping_bum wrote:
I know your in a situation where you cannot go outside to climb, but Gym climbing is not ROCK climbing.

I understand this is factually true, however, it doesn't matter much when you're first getting started. Particularly if there's snow everywhere and you're nowhere near ready for ice climbing.

When I fully commit to a layback move or high step and crank onto a tiny knob and complete the move, further my climb, I still get huge satisfaction. I know when I am finally climbing outside I'll get knocked on my ass again and have to rework some of the same mental challenges, but right now there's nothing so satisfying as being on an overhang 35 feet up and actually climbing it. 5mos. ago it just did not seem likely.

So, go ahead and call it what you like, but it works for me right now and anyone else wondering if they should try it, should just try it.

l8-start-up

Jan 27, 2008, 2:32 PM
Post #7 of 28 (3326 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Majid, I'm not in either camp on your postings, your fixation with safety is understandable to me if not always your presentation. Anyhow, you hit on another great reason to try climbing. It seems like there's an unlimited amount to learn and keep having fun until my body makes me quit.

Epoch, I'm in the Portsmouth, NH area. Did I happen to see you and a buddy in the Dover gym recently chatting with Dan?

colatownkid

Jan 27, 2008, 2:35 PM
Post #8 of 28 (3324 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you have a good attitude--don't let the bastards grind you down. besides, i would turn it around and say that you'll just be even more stoked when you do that same overhang outside.

Partner epoch

Jan 27, 2008, 2:56 PM
Post #9 of 28 (3309 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

l8-start-up wrote:
Majid, I'm not in either camp on your postings, your fixation with safety is understandable to me if not always your presentation. Anyhow, you hit on another great reason to try climbing. It seems like there's an unlimited amount to learn and keep having fun until my body makes me quit.

Epoch, I'm in the Portsmouth, NH area. Did I happen to see you and a buddy in the Dover gym recently chatting with Dan?

Havent been to Portsmouth, NH for climbing. There ain't any rocks that way....

reno

Jan 27, 2008, 5:28 PM
Post #10 of 28 (3261 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:

we know

Laugh

Dude, you owe me a new monitor. This one has coffee all over it.

curt

Jan 27, 2008, 5:39 PM
Post #11 of 28 (3254 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
I join this club 6 years ago and learned nothing so far.

Perhaps you should consider some of the more obvious implications of this?

Curt

shockabuku

Jan 27, 2008, 5:57 PM
Post #12 of 28 (3232 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] noob 2 noob - a few thoughts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
majid_sabet wrote:
I join this club 6 years ago and learned nothing so far.

Perhaps you should consider some of the more obvious implications of this?

Curt

Now you just presented him with an unsolvable problem:

1. Six years he hasn't learned anything here.

2. He should consider the implications.

The computer grinds into an inescapable if-then loop...

theShiba

Feb 1, 2008, 6:40 PM
Post #13 of 28 (3051 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am glad to hear that climbing has had such a positive impact on your life. Indoor, outdoor, whatever; the point is that you are getting passionate about something, and that's something to be proud of.

It's great that you are trying to encourage more people to get into the sport. I was thrilled that when i started, more experienced climbers were really helpful, and open to talk about a sport they were passionate about. It's discouraging that so many people here are quick to judge with ridiculous "zOMG n00b you kno nothing about teh rocks, ur just a n00b gymrat" comments. Why not try supporting newcomers in a positive way?

Partner j_ung

Feb 1, 2008, 7:15 PM
Post #14 of 28 (3018 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

It's true. I tried to teach him that the plural of equipment is "equipment" and the plural of gear is "gear." Nothing.

iamthewallress

Feb 1, 2008, 7:20 PM
Post #15 of 28 (3002 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] noob 2 noob - a few thoughts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

You've learned some good stuff and offer some good advice, IMO. Smile

majid_sabet

Feb 1, 2008, 7:56 PM
Post #16 of 28 (2960 views)
Shortcut

Re: [iamthewallress] noob 2 noob - a few thoughts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

iamthewallress wrote:
You've learned some good stuff and offer some good advice, IMO. Smile

Unfortunately, not all topics leads to where you wanted them to go.

(This post was edited by majid_sabet on Feb 1, 2008, 11:12 PM)

stymingersfink

Feb 1, 2008, 11:06 PM
Post #17 of 28 (2890 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:
Unfortunately, not all topics leads to where you wanted them to go.
...but usually, most of yours end up right where we expect them.

BigBlue89Bronco

Feb 1, 2008, 11:21 PM
Post #18 of 28 (2876 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

very nice. like others have said, dont worry about people trashing this. this is good.

happy climbing

ccourtney_99

Feb 4, 2008, 7:01 AM
Post #19 of 28 (2744 views)
Shortcut

Re: [BigBlue89Bronco] noob 2 noob - a few thoughts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Just keep climbing man. Im 32, way too heavy to be climbing, no climbing gym or climbing areas within 400KM but still love every second of it when I do get the chance to get out there. The only other person that I know that climbs is my girlfriend and neither of us are good enough climbers to lead yet. So we end up having to hire a guide ($$$) for the day or try and find places to top rope. I get very frustrated especialy when I do get to go to the rock gym and I suck because I just cant get the climbing time in and im not strong enough to stay on the wall because im still too heavy.

But on the other hand Climbing motivates me to get in better shape and I have lost 30 lbs so far (still a long way to go). Climbing gets me out of the hustle and bustle of city life and gets me outdoors. Climbing with my girlfriend brings us closer together and its something we both love to do. Climbing enables me to meet new and interesting people whom I would have never met otherwise. And most of all...... Climbing lets you know your alive......and gives you something to look forward too. I just wish I could do it more..... a lot more. Keep going man. Good luck!!!

jimo

Feb 4, 2008, 11:52 AM
Post #20 of 28 (2703 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Awesome to hear you are truly excited about climbing. Ignore the naysayers, it's their karma they are effn with. We are all noobs to some degree- after climbing for many years, I'll be the Yosemite noob this fall- whatever, it's all new and exciting, no matter what level you are at.
Portsmouth has got to have some good opprotunities to fill the void of not being on real rock. Take a look at your route back and forth to work / school whatever and find a boulder or a rock face to work on. Get a crash pad to save the ankles and do some low traversing, no more than a foot off the ground. Gyms are good to train, but on real rock there are no colored tape markers to show the way so any thing is good. Try stuff that looks impossible, you'd be surprised what you can do just a foot off the ground. Find yourself a few locals that can show you around your area, maybe get a guide to take you out, but like you said, dont stop! Oh yah, did I mention ignoring the bs on these forums?
Have a great time, maybe we'll run into each other in Conway or Rumney some day>
Jim

l8-start-up

Feb 4, 2008, 3:27 PM
Post #21 of 28 (2631 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jimo] noob 2 noob - a few thoughts [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Appreciate all the responses. I think the "it's not rock climbing if it's not rock" point is very valid. Again, my original post was sent in the hope it might someday be read by someone trying to get some motivation going from a similar position to the one I was in a little while ago. And from that position it does not matter what the material is. It only matters that you do something.

Ccourt_99, congrats on your improved lifestyle and weight loss! I hope you find somewhere closer to home to climb soon. I drive 20 min. each way to the gym. Not bad. I do have a local crag 45 min. away that I hope to hit next month, weather dependent.

Jimo, hopefully next month I'll be on rock at Pawtuckaway State Park. I'm reading the Falcon Series book on toproping and we've now got 2 offers for "guide." I did get to do my own version of DWS last fall in Bellow Falls, VT (near in-laws). Did some lateral work as you suggest over pools of nasty, stagnant water along the river. It was great fun, but very frustrating to not be able to go up the face. There are lots of trees at top and approach is from the top, so I plan to have gear and knowledge enough to climb it this summer. I hope to be at Rumney by this Fall, but focusing on learning equipment and safety first. I am not good at depending on others, even a licensed guide, to keep me alive! Maybe I'll even be able to lead something low-rated by then. Good luck with your Yosemite trip!

mecalekahi-mekahidyho

Feb 6, 2008, 11:34 PM
Post #22 of 28 (2481 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

crimping_bum wrote:
Carpet, Plastic, and Plywood are not Rock. You should call it Carplaswood climbing. Rock climbing is something that happens when you venture out of doors into the cold, windy, and sometimes wet playground of mother nature. I know your in a situation where you cannot go outside to climb, but Gym climbing is not ROCK climbing.

Good job on the losing weight/getting in shape
though.

That is about the most douchebag response possible to this statement. Cmon man, this is the beginner forum, not the "I told you so" forum. No one gives a fuck if its real rock or artificial that he is talking about, he is trying to help noobs, and all levels of beginner climbers. Get your head out of your ass you TROLL.

bitchtits

Feb 7, 2008, 7:17 AM
Post #23 of 28 (2442 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

Are you THE majid_sabet?

uhoh

Feb 7, 2008, 6:43 PM
Post #24 of 28 (2374 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

epoch wrote:
Good so far.

However I'll beat jt512 to it and recommend that you pick up The Self Coached Climber. It will nip bad habits before they form.

I'm glad someone took the time to read up a bit on here instead of asking a redundant question that has been answered in one of the many redundancy threads.

BTW, where in New England are you?

I can't rent books from a library anymore because I'm a wanted man. A Scanner Darkly is months late and I still have a biography of Ho Chi Minh that I've had for years.

tradrenn

Feb 8, 2008, 6:49 AM
Post #25 of 28 (2310 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

majid_sabet wrote:

That's because you are a MORON

majid_sabet wrote:

See my comment above.

Do you remember when you:
majid_sabet wrote:
I'm not a climber.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook