RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Technique & Training

Premier Sponsor:

brandon_foto

Feb 3, 2008, 8:14 AM
Post #1 of 14 (4893 views)
Shortcut

Kettlebells?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Has anyone done it? is it good for a climber? If MarkTwight does it as an extreme alpinist then it must work??? any ideas? I see a good deal online to get 2x 40lbs bells for 130$. So I wonder if it is worth it or just get stuff to get me out doors more to climb ?(ie gas for my truck to go climb?)

crimping_bum

Feb 3, 2008, 9:38 AM
Post #2 of 14 (4877 views)
Shortcut

Re: [brandon_foto] Kettlebells? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I know wrestlers and Bobybuilders who swear by kettlebells. But I have never tried it personally. I cannot attest to their performance. I have a feeling though that a kettlebell is very much like a dumbell and the effectiveness is not the instrument but rather the workout that you use with the instrument.

Knox_Harrington

Feb 3, 2008, 8:40 PM
Post #3 of 14 (4809 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The answer is always.

MORE COWBELL!!!

anykineclimb

Feb 3, 2008, 8:48 PM
Post #4 of 14 (4800 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Knox_Harrington] Kettlebells? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've got a 35# and love it. I need to get more. Lots of info for KBs at crossfit.com and Dragondoor.com

miavzero

Feb 4, 2008, 4:11 AM
Post #5 of 14 (4733 views)
Shortcut

Re: [crimping_bum] Kettlebells? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

crimping_bum wrote:
I know wrestlers and Bobybuilders who swear by kettlebells. But I have never tried it personally. I cannot attest to their performance. I have a feeling though that a kettlebell is very much like a dumbell and the effectiveness is not the instrument but rather the workout that you use with the instrument.
I'm on the same page.

BTW- Do you have same goals as MT? How much alpinism do you do in Texas?

fluxus

Feb 4, 2008, 11:22 PM
Post #6 of 14 (4635 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Knox_Harrington] Kettlebells? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Knox_Harrington wrote:
The answer is always.

MORE COWBELL!!!

Fellas, let me tell ya, I got a fever, and the only prescription for it is more cowbell!

gbogh

Feb 8, 2008, 11:22 PM
Post #7 of 14 (4456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

for more info on using kettlebells you may want to visit www.crossfit.com as they use them quite a bit in many of their workouts. also for even more intense workouts take a look at www.gymjones.com as this is the site of mark twight himself and they use them in almost every workout. many of the people who train at gymjones are or have been climbers at one time. i'd say they are worth it. crossfit will actually have links to many places that sell kettle bells etc so you can know if you are getting a good price. best of luck ...

john

Partner rgold

Feb 8, 2008, 11:49 PM
Post #8 of 14 (4446 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gbogh] Kettlebells? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Cowbells schmowbells. For a real workout, real men whirl the cows themselves overhead. For more info, visit www.BovineOrbiter.com, but beware, the workouts are udderly exhausting, and the fee structure tries to milk you for all you're worth.

miavzero

Feb 9, 2008, 3:13 AM
Post #9 of 14 (4399 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gbogh] Kettlebells? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gbogh wrote:
for more info on using kettlebells you may want to visit www.crossfit.com as they use them quite a bit in many of their workouts. also for even more intense workouts take a look at www.gymjones.com as this is the site of mark twight himself and they use them in almost every workout. many of the people who train at gymjones are or have been climbers at one time. i'd say they are worth it. crossfit will actually have links to many places that sell kettle bells etc so you can know if you are getting a good price. best of luck ...

john
Have been. Now they just train.
How many accomplished rock climbers (hard trad, sport, bouldering) use these methods? I'm not willing to argue that these exercises are not efficacious for physical conditioning, just that they should not be the priority of someone who wants to train for hard rock climbing.

joswald

Feb 23, 2008, 7:46 PM
Post #10 of 14 (4187 views)
Shortcut

Re: [miavzero] Kettlebells? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

yep you're right i think.
could be good for training the good old antagonists though

irregularpanda

Feb 23, 2008, 9:07 PM
Post #11 of 14 (4161 views)
Shortcut

Re: [rgold] Kettlebells? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

rgold wrote:
Cowbells schmowbells. For a real workout, real men whirl the cows themselves overhead. For more info, visit www.BovineOrbiter.com, but beware, the workouts are udderly exhausting, and the fee structure tries to milk you for all you're worth.

Your post is dripping of cheezy, cheezy punnery. It's puntastical, punny, punerrific, puntable, and sadly, it's still not that funny.

anykineclimb

Feb 23, 2008, 9:45 PM
Post #12 of 14 (4146 views)
Shortcut

Re: [miavzero] Kettlebells? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

miavzero wrote:
gbogh wrote:

john
Have been. Now they just train.
How many accomplished rock climbers (hard trad, sport, bouldering) use these methods? I'm not willing to argue that these exercises are not efficacious for physical conditioning, just that they should not be the priority of someone who wants to train for hard rock climbing.

In the last issue of R&I it features Max Turgeon and LP Menard using kettlebells. in fact it mentions that they train with Twight in SLC

theguy

Feb 23, 2008, 10:19 PM
Post #13 of 14 (4140 views)
Shortcut

Re: [anykineclimb] Kettlebells? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm no expert, but Turgeon and Menard appear from a quick google to be more in the mountain climbing than rock climbing mold (though of course they are climbing at a high level). One might expect that mountain climbing benefits from a high level of fitness, especially single push alpine ascents at altitude as Turgeon appears to have been doing lately.

Partner rgold

Feb 24, 2008, 1:39 AM
Post #14 of 14 (4100 views)
Shortcut

Re: [irregularpanda] Kettlebells? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

irregularpanda wrote:
It's puntastical, punny, punerrific, puntable, and sadly, it's still not that funny.
The guy whose best effort at puntification yields such novel gems as "punstastical" is complaining my post isn't funny? Devastating! But actually, I have to agree. My post isn't funny.

Fortunately, we have sharp-eyed critics ever on the lookout for the first hints of vapid humor to protect fellow posters from the scourge of bad punning. Where would the internet be without these vigilantes of proper comedy, willing, at a moment's notice, to parachute in and straighten out a thread threatened with the the heartbreak of psoriasis. No wait---wrong malady...

But...what were we talking about? Oh right: kettlebells, the latest secret weapon in the search for climbing achievement. Carry on then.

Forums : Climbing Information : Technique & Training

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook