Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

hugepedro

Oct 17, 2003, 7:50 PM
Post #26 of 61 (14533 views)
Shortcut

Re: Nut Tool Attachment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
(seriously, a bloody nose and fat lip .. be careful .. those nuts are dangerous!)

Well may you should be more careful when you're . . . mmmm . . . eh . . . uh . . . hmmm . . . no . . . no . . . no. Not gonna go there. Not gonna say it.

(Hugepedro excercises a little self-restraint.)

pirateclimber

Oct 17, 2003, 10:45 PM
Post #27 of 61 (14534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

*with the tool in place of the ID card.

http://store4.yimg.com/...storeusa_1758_686936

Partner one900johnnyk

Oct 17, 2003, 11:58 PM
Post #28 of 61 (14534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I got this tip a while back, and it's worked well for me. I use a janitor-style retractable keychain. The version I have has several feet of reach, and a thin, plastic-coated cable. Attach the tool with the standard circular keyring, which is much lower profile than a biner. I clip it to my chalk bag belt, but I was a little worried about it coming unclipped. I girth hitched a small hair elastic through it, and threaded the belt as a back-up. You could certainly use small cord, but I just looked around the house for a suitable alternative.

I leave it towards the back of my belt when leading, and bring it forward when I second a pitch. I can easily grab it, spool as far as my reach to clean a piece, and when I'm done, I just let it go. If it gets away from me, not a big deal.

On occasion, my tool will snag a branch, a sling, etc. That can get a bit annoying. If I know I won't need my tool for a while, I'll clip it with a biner to a harness loop. That works well enough to prevent accidental deployment.

mark

i am trying that...

pico23

Oct 18, 2003, 6:34 AM
Post #29 of 61 (14534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I attached a loop of 3mm accessory cord that is about 4 inches. THen I attach that to a biner and clip it to a shoulder length sling which I put over my shoulder. It gives me plenty of reach to clean almost anything without removing the nut tool.

You could do the same thing without the biner if weight is an issue. but the sling with a little extra cord works like a charm either way and I don't dedicate a biner to it anyway, I just use an extra off my harness if i have one. When leading I attach it sans the shoulder lenght sling to my rappel gloves so it's not a major liability if I fall.

kathy

Oct 21, 2003, 3:14 PM
Post #30 of 61 (14534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

This is exactly what i meant by the ski pass thing!! haven't tried it yet - have you? any good?

data118

Oct 21, 2003, 3:16 PM
Post #31 of 61 (14534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.imagestation.com/...c431851/fac54f6e.jpg

A bungee keychain from the hardware store: $.99
Metolious Nut tool with clip $20
Never dropping your nut tool again: priceless.

arlen

Oct 21, 2003, 7:40 PM
Post #32 of 61 (14534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I use this...

http://www.omegapac.com/media/caranut_tool.gif

...with a single length of 3mm cord girthed to my gear sling so that it's a little longer than my outstretched arm. I keep in practice one-hand-tying a knot that releases when I pull the nut tool--it keeps the cord from snagging.

The best spring-loaded retrievers are found at fly fishing shops--the wire can be used as a funkness. They don't stretch very far though.

jorgle

Oct 24, 2003, 9:32 PM
Post #33 of 61 (14534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

This is exactly what i meant by the ski pass thing!! haven't tried it yet - have you? any good?

Those do work, but I feel that the ski pass ones are too big, if you go to staples or any other office supply you can find this http://www.staples.com/...ducts/461144_std.jpg

it's much lower profile and you can clip it to your shirt collar. I've been doing this for more than 2 years and i haven't had a problem with it getting lost/caught on rock.

-J

ebelay

Oct 24, 2003, 10:41 PM
Post #34 of 61 (14534 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
it's much lower profile and you can clip it to your shirt collar

You climb with your nut tool attached to your shirt collar? Interesting.

For the last ten years or so I've been using a length of cord - about 20" or so. Run the cord through the smallest hole on the tool and tie a knot. On the other end of the cord, tie an overhand on a bight to form a loop and clip that to your harness. When you're not using the tool, clip the biner through the loop and through a hole on the tool.

It's nice to have your tool on a full-strength piece of cord or webbing so that you can back up those crusty old rap slings in a pinch. And yes, I have used my cord for this.

Three pages of "how to sling a nut tool" advice. Holy crap, aren't we thorough!

Eric

ja1484

Feb 6, 2008, 4:27 PM
Post #35 of 61 (11946 views)
Shortcut

Re: [apollodorus] Nut Tool Attachment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

apollodorus wrote:
Tie a 4" diameter loop to it. You put your hand through it when you unclip it, and it's nearly impossible to drop. You lose five seconds each time you grab and replace it on your rack.

Thread revive for props and winner. This man is the winner. This is by far the best method. I tried the arm-length keeper cord, it always gets tangled with the rack somehow.

I tried the ID-badge coiled wire dooflachy, it WILL eventually limit your reach at some point.

The hand-loop, once you've tied it to the correct length, is the best solution by far. Hand through loop, unclip from harness, unlimited reach, almost impossible to drop, the least bulk of all the solutions.

Props Apollo - thanks for the tip.

(This post was edited by ja1484 on Feb 6, 2008, 4:29 PM)

Partner cracklover

Feb 6, 2008, 4:50 PM
Post #36 of 61 (11930 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ja1484] Nut Tool Attachment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I guess you didn't try

Been working great for me for ten years.

GO

ja1484

Feb 6, 2008, 6:27 PM
Post #37 of 61 (11897 views)
Shortcut

Re: [cracklover] Nut Tool Attachment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Why bother with the extra bulk? All i need is a 4" loop of 3mm.

Partner cracklover

Feb 6, 2008, 6:54 PM
Post #38 of 61 (11878 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know about you, but I don't want the tool fixed to my wrist. It's often necessary to fish around in a crack, or hit the tool with a rock, or maneuver the tool in weird ways.

GO

ja1484

Feb 6, 2008, 7:08 PM
Post #39 of 61 (11875 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
I don't know about you, but I don't want the tool fixed to my wrist. It's often necessary to fish around in a crack, or hit the tool with a rock, or maneuver the tool in weird ways.

GO

I know, which is exactly why I adopted this system.

I don't know what you're envisioning, but when you get the loop tied at the correct length (which does take about 15 minutes of eyballing/trial and error) it's like it's not attached to anything. You can maneuver the tool as those you were holding it free, without any kind of leash.

That's why I went this route upon seeing it suggested - as I mentioned in my post, all the other methods resulted in some form of pain in the ass on occasion when needing to do some unorthodox tool maneuvering.

Give it a shot and you'll see what I mean. If you're having trouble maneuvering the tool, adjust your loop length. It's too short.

I also recommend the slight modification of tying an overhand on a bight to form the handloop somewhat separately from the attachment portion of the cord. It almost ends up as a mini-ice-tool leash, but you can easily slip your hand into/out of it when trying, but not by accident.

Partner cracklover

Feb 6, 2008, 7:41 PM
Post #40 of 61 (11861 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Some things are hard to discuss on the web. But imagine this. I take the tool off my harness with my right hand. I use both hands to get it in exactly the right spot against the back of a lobe of a fixed cam. I hold it in place with my left hand, while getting a sling off my rack. I clip the sling in and funk the cam with my right hand, while holding the tool in place with a finger of the left, and torquing or pulling a little on the stem of the cam with my other hand. I repeat, adjusting the placement of the tool, until the cam has been cleaned.

How the hell can you do this if the tool is fixed no more than 4" from one hand the entire time it's off your harness? Not possible.

GO

ja1484

Feb 6, 2008, 7:51 PM
Post #41 of 61 (11850 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
Some things are hard to discuss on the web. But imagine this. I take the tool off my harness with my right hand. I use both hands to get it in exactly the right spot against the back of a lobe of a fixed cam. I hold it in place with my left hand, while getting a sling off my rack. I clip the sling in and funk the cam with my right hand, while holding the tool in place with a finger of the left, and torquing or pulling a little on the stem of the cam with my other hand. I repeat, adjusting the placement of the tool, until the cam has been cleaned.

How the hell can you do this if the tool is fixed no more than 4" from one hand the entire time it's off your harness? Not possible.

GO

You could adapt it pretty easily. Dual loops allow for easy hand swapping mid operation. I tried it for a little bit and found it unnecessary - I rarely need to swap hands.

Alternatively, reach around a little. It's not like you can't take/put items on/off the rack with one hand.

Also, maybe I'm confused, but this part:

In reply to:
I clip the sling in and funk the cam with my right hand, while holding the tool in place with a finger of the left, and torquing or pulling a little on the stem of the cam with my other hand.

You have three hands!? Why on earth do you need a keeper attachment for the nut tool at all? Wink

By the same token:

I take the nut tool off my harness, which it is attached to with phone cord. Unfortunately, I need to wedge into a specific notch to unfix my pro, and once in the notch, the tool is tenuous. Unfortunately the tension on the nut tool from the stretched phone cord makes it impossible to maintain the appropriate placement while preparing to pound on the tool. What to do now?

Look, if you look hard enough, you can find a problem with any setup you want. If you prefer your method, I'm not tryin' to stop you man. Just puttin' out there that I dig the loop method and it never gives me any trouble.

(This post was edited by ja1484 on Feb 6, 2008, 7:58 PM)

Partner cracklover

Feb 6, 2008, 8:06 PM
Post #42 of 61 (11837 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Never mind. If you like your system, that's cool.

Cheers,

GO

ja1484

Feb 6, 2008, 8:15 PM
Post #43 of 61 (11834 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

cracklover wrote:
Never mind. If you like your system, that's cool.

Cheers,

GO

Same Beer

hanginaround

Feb 6, 2008, 9:21 PM
Post #44 of 61 (11805 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Securit™ (retractable key chain) - Sturdy Kevlar cord. Holds 16 keys (or a cleaning tool). Clasp attaches securely to belt loop (or harness).

https://www.uline.com/...ractable+Key+Holders

vegastradguy

Feb 7, 2008, 8:05 AM
Post #45 of 61 (11770 views)
Shortcut

Re: [hanginaround] Nut Tool Attachment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well, 5 years ago i used shock cord. about 3 years ago, i switched to nothing at all- now i leave my nut tool on the back loop of my harness for the once in a great while use.

i dont know about you guys- but how often do you actually use your nut tool? in the last 3 years, i've probably pulled it out to remove a nut maybe a dozen times.....i use it more often to cut tat off of old rap stations...(i have the Trango Shark- handy little gadget!)

ja1484

Feb 7, 2008, 1:30 PM
Post #46 of 61 (11754 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Nut Tool Attachment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

vegastradguy wrote:
i dont know about you guys- but how often do you actually use your nut tool? in the last 3 years, i've probably pulled it out to remove a nut maybe a dozen times.....i use it more often to cut tat off of old rap stations...(i have the Trango Shark- handy little gadget!)

It's definitely on the rare side - 1-2 times a climb for most multipitch routes.

It's one of those things though - rather have it and not need it than vice versa.

Partner cracklover

Feb 7, 2008, 2:01 PM
Post #47 of 61 (11748 views)
Shortcut

Re: [vegastradguy] Nut Tool Attachment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
how often do you actually use your nut tool?

Mid-pitch, probably once every six pitches. At belay stations, something closer to once every three pitches.

GO

drjghl

Feb 7, 2008, 5:27 PM
Post #48 of 61 (11711 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olympicmtnboy] Nut Tool Attachment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Put your cleaner on a full sized biner. Anything else is superfluous.

I've replaced or changed every item on my rack umpteen times except my cleaner (which is the only original item that I still use from my days as a beginner). The only reason to place a cord on your cleaner is when you are trying to fish out a piece of gear that's fallen into a crack that's out of your reach.

Less is more. Why add a cord to your cleaner. Who wants to deal with a clusterfuck on your harness when you are climbing with all this stuff already.

mcfoley

Feb 7, 2008, 5:30 PM
Post #49 of 61 (11710 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clip it to one of those key keepers that janitors use...
or one of these;

j/k
I clip mine to a 24# sling that's over my shoulder. I have the tool tied off to a loop of 4mm that's doubled up unless needed for ext.

(This post was edited by mcfoley on Feb 7, 2008, 6:30 PM)

Partner angry

Feb 7, 2008, 5:31 PM
Post #50 of 61 (29421 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I attach mine with a PTFTW!!!

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook