Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

caughtinside

Feb 7, 2008, 8:29 PM
Post #51 of 61 (20976 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] Nut Tool Attachment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

angry wrote:
I attach mine with a PTFTW!!!

Nice going. A goot PTFTW can be invaluable.

I'm with the nothing crowd. I've got a tool on an older, heavier biner (also my bail biner.)

I use my nut tool infrequently enough that I'm not too concerned with dropping it. If I really have to finagle, I'll clip it to the rope with a sling, and then have at it.

I've ditched most superfluous stuff over the years, keeper cord, cordellete, extra lockers, ropeman, etc.

Partner artm

Feb 7, 2008, 9:28 PM
Post #52 of 61 (20961 views)
Shortcut

Re: [caughtinside] Nut Tool Attachment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

caughtinside wrote:
angry wrote:

I'm with the nothing crowd. I've got a tool on an older, heavier biner (also my bail biner.)

I use my nut tool infrequently enough that I'm not too concerned with dropping it. If I really have to finagle, I'll clip it to the rope with a sling, and then have at it.

I've ditched most superfluous stuff over the years, keeper cord, cordellete, extra lockers, ropeman, etc.
Oh so that is what happened to your brain

Partner dominic7

Feb 7, 2008, 10:54 PM
Post #53 of 61 (20944 views)
Shortcut

Re: [artm] Nut Tool Attachment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

artm wrote:
caughtinside wrote:
angry wrote:

Oh so that is what happened to your brain

I was thinking of "partners who set every nut so hard you have to clean them with a nut tool" as the first piece of superfluous climbing paraphernalia to be jettisoned. I go with the spare biner too.

the_climber

Feb 7, 2008, 11:59 PM
Post #54 of 61 (20935 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dominic7] Nut Tool Attachment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dominic7 wrote:
I was thinking of "partners who set every nut so hard you have to clean them with a nut tool" as the first piece of superfluous climbing paraphernalia to be jettisoned. I go with the spare biner too.

I have a cure for climbing partners who do that you know, setting every nut. I put my FiFi hook on my harness, take their gear and bounce test EVERY SINGLE placement (placing the whole set of nuts if the route allows) leaving them to clean. They have much more incentive when it's their gear "they" need to clean. At 225, they get set real good. I've never had to "cure" a climbing partner twice.

As for carrying the nut tool. Well, it's on either an accessory biner or light weight biner with a short length of 2mm cord, or with no cord... depends how I feel that day. I typically only really use it to clean cracks for the placement, or for cleaning my filed down pink tricams, but when I do need it for removing a piece of gear I typically clip it into the sling/draw then use as per normal. The thing is IF I really do need to use it chances are the thing is pretty jammed already and I'm likely needing a hammer/rock/big hex to bash the tool.

Partners can be tools too BTW.

(This post was edited by the_climber on Feb 8, 2008, 12:03 AM)

Partner j_ung

Feb 8, 2008, 12:20 AM
Post #55 of 61 (20923 views)
Shortcut

Re: [olympicmtnboy] Nut Tool Attachment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Four years and three pages on carrying nut tools!? C'MON!!

linvillelover

Feb 13, 2008, 7:08 PM
Post #56 of 61 (20872 views)
Shortcut

Re: [j_ung] Nut Tool Attachment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

whatever you do, do not use acc cord tied to go in a slip knotted loop around your hand.

imagine falling and the hook on the tool catching the nuts cable, the nut holding, and the cord constricting on your wrist with you hanging below.

always use just a fixed loop big enough to slip your thumb through.

or some other janitorial solution.

Arrogant_Bastard

Feb 13, 2008, 11:06 PM
Post #57 of 61 (20848 views)
Shortcut

Re: [linvillelover] Nut Tool Attachment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

linvillelover wrote:
whatever you do, do not use acc cord tied to go in a slip knotted loop around your hand.

imagine falling and the hook on the tool catching the nuts cable, the nut holding, and the cord constricting on your wrist with you hanging below.

That's why I don't wear ties while climbing; one slip of the foot, a fall, you scream, the tie flapping in the wind gets caught into your mouth... BAM! Gonorrhea.

ja1484

Feb 13, 2008, 11:30 PM
Post #58 of 61 (20836 views)
Shortcut

Re: [linvillelover] Nut Tool Attachment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

linvillelover wrote:

How far do you fall when seconding a pitch?

You're planning way too hard for contingencies that are way too unlikely.

(This post was edited by ja1484 on Feb 13, 2008, 11:32 PM)

stymingersfink

Feb 14, 2008, 1:57 AM
Post #59 of 61 (20821 views)
Shortcut

Re: [ja1484] Nut Tool Attachment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[fun with the backspace key invisible ink Angelic]

ja1484 wrote:
cracklover wrote:
Some things are hard to discuss on the web. But imagine this. I take the tool off my harness with my right hand. I use both hands to get it in exactly the right spot against the back of a lobe of a fixed cam. I hold it in place with my left hand, while getting a sling off my rack. I clip the sling in and funk the cam with my right hand, while holding the tool in place with a finger of the left, and torquing or pulling a little on the stem of the cam with my other hand. I repeat, adjusting the placement of the tool, until the cam has been cleaned.

How the hell can you do this if
the tool is fixed no more than 4" from one hand the entire time it's off your harness? Not possible.

GO

You could adapt it pretty easily. allow for easy hand swapping mid operation. I tried it for a little bit and found it unnecessary - I rarely need to swap hands.

Alternatively, reach around a little. It's not like you can't with one hand.

Also, maybe I'm confused, You have three hands!? Why on earth do you need a tool at all? Wink

By the same token:

I take the tool, attached with phone cord, to wedge into a specific notch, and once in the notch, the tool is tenuous. Unfortunately the tension on the tool from the stretched phone cord makes it impossible to maintain the appropriate placement while preparing to pound. What to do now?

Look, if you look hard enough, you can find a problem with any setup you want. If you prefer your method, I'm not tryin' to stop you man. Just puttin' out there that I dig the method and it never gives me any trouble.

BRO! ...Shouldn't you be discussing this in your dorm room or something?Laugh

edit: someone had some sort of issue with my backspace-ability, so I had to edit it so as to not "misquote" him.
ja1484 seemed to have no issue with my little fun, and actually saw the humor in it, so his was left as was.
not that it really mattered anyway, as the quote was quoted in the next post anyway.

(This post was edited by stymingersfink on Feb 17, 2008, 6:52 PM)

ja1484

Feb 14, 2008, 2:20 AM
Post #60 of 61 (20817 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Nut Tool Attachment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

stymingersfink wrote:
[fun with the backspace key Angelic]

ja1484 wrote:
cracklover wrote:
Some things are hard to discuss on the web. But imagine this. I take the tool with my right hand. I use both hands to get it in exactly the right spot, while holding the tool in place with a finger of the left, and torquing or pulling a little on the stem with my other hand. I repeat, adjusting the placement of the tool, until the tool is fixed no more than 4" from one hand the entire time.

GO

You could adapt it pretty easily. allow for easy hand swapping mid operation. I tried it for a little bit and found it unnecessary - I rarely need to swap hands.

Alternatively, reach around a little. It's not like you can't with one hand.

Also, maybe I'm confused, You have three hands!? Why on earth do you need a tool at all? Wink

By the same token:

I take the tool, attached with phone cord, to wedge into a specific notch, and once in the notch, the tool is tenuous. Unfortunately the tension on the tool from the stretched phone cord makes it impossible to maintain the appropriate placement while preparing to pound. What to do now?

Look, if you look hard enough, you can find a problem with any setup you want. If you prefer your method, I'm not tryin' to stop you man. Just puttin' out there that I dig the method and it never gives me any trouble.

BRO! ...Shouldn't you be discussing this in your dorm room or something?Laugh

Er...what?

Edit: Oh waiiiiit.....now I see it.

Little bored, are we? Laugh

(This post was edited by ja1484 on Feb 14, 2008, 2:23 AM)

Partner cracklover

Feb 14, 2008, 2:56 PM
Post #61 of 61 (20782 views)
Shortcut

Re: [stymingersfink] Nut Tool Attachment? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I believe misquoting is against the TOS.

GO

First page Previous page 1 2 3 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook