Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Wilderness camping and climbing in JTree? Where to go?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

phreakdigital

Feb 7, 2008, 11:31 PM
Post #1 of 6 (1731 views)
Shortcut

Wilderness camping and climbing in JTree? Where to go?  (North_America: United_States: California: Joshua_Tree_National_Park)
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Im looking to hike into an area with moderate trad grades <5.10 in jtree...does anyone know a good place for this? Max of about 5-6 mile approach with a good deal of routes within 1/2 mi to 1 mile from a central area(water?)....obviously these are the ideals...

I can camp in the wilderness there right? with a permit? anyone know how much and where to buy?

phreakdigital

Feb 8, 2008, 1:50 AM
Post #2 of 6 (1701 views)
Shortcut

Re: [phreakdigital] Wilderness camping and climbing in JTree? Where to go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

bump

pyrosis

Feb 8, 2008, 3:15 AM
Post #3 of 6 (1683 views)
Shortcut

Re: [phreakdigital] Wilderness camping and climbing in JTree? Where to go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

As for wilderness climbing, hike into the North Wonderland. There are lots of good routes there and its the farthest from anywhere. Good luck finding water. As far as camping, I know there are places in the backcountry in JTree that you can camp, but I think that the legal camping begins even further north than the north wonderland. Not that any rangers ever go back there anyway...

Tavis

dubforceone

Feb 8, 2008, 4:23 AM
Post #4 of 6 (1664 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am pretty sure you can camp in the backcountry for free as long as you are a certain distance from a road/trail...maybe 200ft?

Have fun...

J Tree is a cool place

phreakdigital

Feb 8, 2008, 6:16 AM
Post #5 of 6 (1645 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dubforceone] Wilderness camping and climbing in JTree? Where to go? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

What about the more moderate grades? Are the grades like yosemite(harder?) or like other like easier areas?

lunabruandabby

Feb 8, 2008, 12:24 PM
Post #6 of 6 (1621 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

5.10 trad in Josh isn't really moderate in my book. Several trips ago I went from Queen Creek, AZ and climbing .12's and 13.'s to Josh where the tens felt like .12's. Mind you, I have been there many times and am as proud of the .10's I did there as I am of any hard route anywhere else. Though there are some easier .10's like Solid Gold and Fisticuffs. Then there are climbs like EBGB's, Grit Roof andCaught inside on a big set that feel much harder.
I don't think that legal camping is available in the part of the park where most of the climbing is. Backcountry permits are available but it is really much more practical to stay at a campground even if you are planning to head deep into the Wonderland. Joshua Tree is a very fragile ecosystem and the less long term intrusion into critical habitat the better.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook