Forums: Rockclimbing.com: Suggestions & Feedback:
General warning in regards to the bet crew etc.
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Suggestions & Feedback

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

clausti

Feb 8, 2008, 9:38 PM
Post #1 of 29 (5066 views)
Shortcut

General warning in regards to the bet crew etc.
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

reno wrote:
The long sig line thing is a site-wide problem. That is, a long sig doesn't just show up in one thread or forum, but it shows up on EVERY POST that user makes. I've seen 'em in General, Beginners, Gear Heads, Soap Box, etc. They make for difficult readability for other users. Your right to have a long sig ends when it becomes a obstacle to other people's ability to enjoy the site.

Post whoring is similar. If I'm trying to follow a legit discussion, and I have to scroll past nine or ten posts that are things like "PC ++", then again my ability to enjoy or learn from a thread is reduced.

seriously, reno? the long sig lines are obnoxious, i'll admit, but that IS A CODING PROBLEM. and you need to fix that shit. and if fixing it isnt easy, DDT picked some really fucking shitty software, didnt he?

and sigs, as has been pointed out, can be turned off.

and as far as the PC++ shit- THAT IS WHAT A KILLFILE IS FOR. you can click "killfile" and all the PC++'s in tha thread will magically go away. and all of them in all the other threads by that user will go away too! that would save so much time.

i STILL dont understand why they switched away from the old coding.. you paid for it, didnt you? why the hell not use what they spent so much time and effort cusomizing.

and i thouht i posted a rant on this earlier, but it looks like i forgot to hit send, so:

the photo functionality is shitty, which is why you have shitty photos, and why ppl play shitty games with the shittiest of the photos. do you have any idea how many good photogs took their shit off this site when the front page option went for crap? it is so not worth it anymore to put good pictures up on this site. example: i have a bout a billion amazing pictures that i could have put up with my trip report (30 ish posts by me, and 12000+ views, please tell me that's not worthwhile content), but the photos on this site are such a pain in the ass, that is just didnt post any. doesnt that suck?

if you have stupid shit, ppl are gonna treat it like stupid shit. if you have good photo functionality, ppl are going to put up good photos. THAT is pretty simple.

the fixes for all this shit are so simple!! why are we having yet another mods-underwear-twisty episode over stuff that is really easy to hard-code into the boards? every stupid webcomic has php board where they can set the sig lengths and killfile. please explain to me again why we dont?

Partner angry

Feb 8, 2008, 9:39 PM
Post #2 of 29 (5057 views)
Shortcut

Re: [clausti] General warning in regards to the bet crew etc. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I see what you did there

clausti

Feb 8, 2008, 9:40 PM
Post #3 of 29 (5053 views)
Shortcut

Re: [angry] General warning in regards to the bet crew etc. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i feel it's working rather well.

madriver

Feb 8, 2008, 9:42 PM
Post #4 of 29 (5044 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey clausti...didn't you get banned?

Love always

MaD

clausti

Feb 8, 2008, 9:44 PM
Post #5 of 29 (5036 views)
Shortcut

Re: [madriver] General warning in regards to the bet crew etc. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

madriver wrote:
hey clausti...didn't you get banned?

Love always

MaD

gr3ml!NbaNz3d, app4rently.

though the night is young.

Partner wideguy

Feb 8, 2008, 9:44 PM
Post #6 of 29 (5034 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
seriously, reno? the long sig lines are obnoxious, i'll admit, but that IS A CODING PROBLEM. and you need to fix that shit. and if fixing it isnt easy, DDT picked some really fucking shitty software, didnt he?

the fixes for all this shit are so simple!! why are we having yet another mods-underwear-twisty episode over stuff that is really easy to hard-code into the boards?

or you COULD look at it the other way. Sure we could solve speeding on highways but governing every car to 60 MPH. Or we could just put rules in place and ask people to follow them.

Crazy idea, I know.

reno

Feb 8, 2008, 9:46 PM
Post #7 of 29 (5021 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:

Hey, Clausti:

Yes, I suppose it *is* a coding issue, and it needs to be fixed. I'm not a code person. Y'all know that. Hell, I have enough trouble getting Spider Solitaire to load properly. So I can't comment about how difficult it is to fix, or the quality of the software.

But until such time as it CAN get fixed, is it so unreasonable to say "Hey, could you please shorten your sig a bit so other people don't have to deal with it in every post?" Is it really too much to ask that folks think of other people from time to time? Or is the "It's all about ME!!!!1" mentality taking primacy of position?

In reply to:
and as far as the PC++ shit- THAT IS WHAT A KILLFILE IS FOR. you can click "killfile" and all the PC++'s in tha thread will magically go away. and all of them in all the other threads by that user will go away too! that would save so much time.

And then you'd miss the times when that person has something of value to say, helpful advice, or wise input. Kill File doesn't separate the wheat from the chaff.... it just dumps the whole damn bushel in the compost pile. We ought to be able to do better.

In reply to:
i STILL dont understand why they switched away from the old coding.. you paid for it, didnt you? why the hell not use what they spent so much time and effort cusomizing.

Again, not being a code guy (and not being the guy who gets to make such decisions,) I don't have that answer. I think a big part of it was the constant problem of the old site crashing, not loading, and not working.

clausti

Feb 8, 2008, 9:46 PM
Post #8 of 29 (5019 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wideguy] General warning in regards to the bet crew etc. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

wideguy wrote:
clausti wrote:

the fixes for all this shit are so simple!! why are we having yet another mods-underwear-twisty episode over stuff that is really easy to hard-code into the boards?

or you COULD look at it the other way. Sure we could solve speeding on highways but governing every car to 60 MPH. Or we could just put rules in place and ask people to follow them.

Crazy idea, I know.

except for this isnt a highway, its a message board. thousands of other message boards have figured out a simple solution to this problem. are we really that special ed? do you expect me to count the characters in my sig line when i change it? cause yeah, i have no intention of doing that. hell, i might be over 200 characters now, and i'd never know.

reno

Feb 8, 2008, 9:50 PM
Post #9 of 29 (5012 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
except for this isnt a highway, its a message board. thousands of other message boards have figured out a simple solution to this problem. are we really that special ed? do you expect me to count the characters in my sig line when i change it? cause yeah, i have no intention of doing that. hell, i might be over 200 characters now, and i'd never know.

Certainly there is a difference between 201 characters and a sig line that has fifteen quoted posts from nine different users.

clausti

Feb 8, 2008, 9:53 PM
Post #10 of 29 (5012 views)
Shortcut

Re: [reno] General warning in regards to the bet crew etc. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
clausti wrote:

Hey, Clausti:

Yes, I suppose it *is* a coding issue, and it needs to be fixed. I'm not a code person. Y'all know that. Hell, I have enough trouble getting Spider Solitaire to load properly. So I can't comment about how difficult it is to fix, or the quality of the software.

well, i can tell you that the php softare would do it, because a bajillion podunkass web comics have the sig lengths hard-set.

In reply to:
But until such time as it CAN get fixed, is it so unreasonable to say "Hey, could you please shorten your sig a bit so other people don't have to deal with it in every post?" Is it really too much to ask that folks think of other people from time to time? Or is the "It's all about ME!!!!1" mentality taking primacy of position?

no, i dont think that's unreasonable.... did you do that? cause if you did, i totally missed it. what i saw was a few days, (two days?) of it being mildly annoying to mildly amusing, and then philbox going MOD SMASH CHANGE SIGS NNNNOOOWWW!

In reply to:
In reply to:

And then you'd miss the times when that person has something of value to say, helpful advice, or wise input. Kill File doesn't separate the wheat from the chaff.... it just dumps the whole damn bushel in the compost pile. We ought to be able to do better.

if its a simple toggle button, you can turn it off while you read the thread, then turn it on again. it was fairly easy to do on the old site. but really, if you dont like a person's style that much, why read what they have to say? you might be able to make teh ev!l BET thread go away entirely!

In reply to:
In reply to:

Again, not being a code guy (and not being the guy who gets to make such decisions,) I don't have that answer. I think a big part of it was the constant problem of the old site crashing, not loading, and not working.

yeah well i would be really fucking interested in knowing that answer.

the reason the old site crashed, as i understand it, was that the hamsters went for shit. but why oh why did you change coding and hamsters at the same time? why couldn't you just see what the old code looked like on the new hamsters?? i'm betting my two cents that DDT is kicking himself for NOT doing that. but now his metaphorical face as well as sn is all red, and he cant/wont admit that he shouldnt have changed so much at once, and since it realyl is hard to change software implementations, its kind of too late to go back, and now this one sucks.

and now we have created a post with multitudious quote strings! whatever will we do!

clausti

Feb 8, 2008, 9:54 PM
Post #11 of 29 (5010 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

YOU MOVED MY THREAD!

THIS IS TO ADDRESS PEEPS IN TEH SCUMMUNITY FORUM, AND I WANT IT BACK THERE!

dr_feelgood

Feb 8, 2008, 10:17 PM
Post #12 of 29 (5003 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

clausti wrote:
YOU MOVED MY THREAD!

THIS IS TO ADDRESS PEEPS IN TEH SCUMMUNITY FORUM, AND I WANT IT BACK THERE!

Welcome to Gitmo

chossmonkey

Feb 8, 2008, 11:26 PM
Post #13 of 29 (4993 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
clausti wrote:

And yet you guys keep on keepin' on with the whole "BET" lumping BS.

granite_grrl

Feb 9, 2008, 1:17 AM
Post #14 of 29 (4981 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] General warning in regards to the bet crew etc. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

They should just ban Brent, that would be the easiest thing to do.

We never liked him anyway.

clausti

Feb 9, 2008, 2:24 AM
Post #15 of 29 (4972 views)
Shortcut

Re: [granite_grrl] General warning in regards to the bet crew etc. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl wrote:
They should just ban Brent, that would be the easiest thing to do.

We never liked him anyway.

ouch.

microbarn

Feb 10, 2008, 3:27 PM
Post #16 of 29 (4911 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you have to give the code change the benefit of the doubt. We don't know what kind of shape it was in. Sometimes a complete rewrite is in order just because you have to take care of so many cliff hangers and IF's that are no longer important.

This is one of the many reasons why microsoft made a whole new OS (vista) rather then continuing to worry about making it compatible with their older versions.

that being said...the choice of the new software should allow all the features that are useful in the old system with the ability to expand however seems fit.

clausti

Feb 10, 2008, 4:50 PM
Post #17 of 29 (4907 views)
Shortcut

Re: [microbarn] General warning in regards to the bet crew etc. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

microbarn wrote:
you have to give the code change the benefit of the doubt. We don't know what kind of shape it was in. Sometimes a complete rewrite is in order just because you have to take care of so many cliff hangers and IF's that are no longer important.

This is one of the many reasons why microsoft made a whole new OS (vista) rather then continuing to worry about making it compatible with their older versions.

that being said...the choice of the new software should allow all the features that are useful in the old system with the ability to expand however seems fit.

hehe, that turned out really well for microsoft, too, didnt it?

jakedatc

Feb 10, 2008, 5:24 PM
Post #18 of 29 (4898 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Clausti i think they gave up hope on ever having a good photo system.. they get like 15 pics a day coming in and seem to be happy with that.

Mountain Project is the place to go for photos and route databases. You should post your pictures there.. i'd like to see them

I agree 100% about the kill file you'd think after how long now of us bitching about it they'd actually listen to the users but it's always "we don't know how.. so... we aren't going to"

zeke_sf

Feb 12, 2008, 9:54 PM
Post #19 of 29 (4822 views)
Shortcut

Re: [jakedatc] General warning in regards to the bet crew etc. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Iz can post to thr3d with "bet" in it? *waits for banzing*

After nearly a week of getting booted back to general populace, I have to agree with Jake (well, I actually thought this already but I thought I should be nice to Jake for once). The actual "climbing" parts of this site are far excelled by places like mproject. Of course, there are the odd crags where rc.com provides better beta, but this is a rarity. I really think it is the social aspect of this site that sets rc.com apart. To wit, something like killfile would seem an appropriate tool for us to have although I 100% don't use it.

I'm conflicted on automatic deletion of redundant "n00b" posts that has been discussed in related threads. First, sometimes equipment/techniques really do change and should be addressed. Second, how would we decide which post(s) really answered the question with the best possible wording and information for everybody? Perhaps the beginners forum should just be a button on the frontpage and not have posts that shoot out and disturb the holy bejeezus out of the crusties?

It seems like an (de)evolving conversation is what this site does best, whether that be discussion on technique, equipment, etiquette, or even conversation threads like the bet. Too much moderation, inconsistently applied may very well kill that strength. Personally, seeing somebody like Dingus who really exemplifies why I like this site (crotchety trad or no) express such a desire to sever with rc.com entirely seems like it should trigger a little evaluation. Of course, we're rock climbers and we will find some iconoclast bitch-fit to whine about no matter what....

*looks up at what he wrote*

I'm not reading this.

zeke_sf

Feb 12, 2008, 10:02 PM
Post #20 of 29 (4819 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

reno wrote:
clausti wrote:

Certainly there is a difference between 201 characters and a sig line that has fifteen quoted posts from nine different users.

Mine's ~50 characters over. I could edit it down, if it bothers you. I'm quite proud of that sig though since it perfectly anticipated the knee-jerk reaction that occured.

dingus

Feb 12, 2008, 11:25 PM
Post #21 of 29 (4807 views)
Shortcut

Re: [zeke_sf] General warning in regards to the bet crew etc. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When yall gonna understand that the owners of this site don't give a FUCK what you want???????

DMT

zeke_sf

Feb 12, 2008, 11:39 PM
Post #22 of 29 (4801 views)
Shortcut

Re: [dingus] General warning in regards to the bet crew etc. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:
When yall gonna understand that the owners of this site don't give a FUCK what you want???????

DMT

You have a point. I think this is more like pie in the sky wishlistery than anything else. Similarly, why do we all keep polishing this turd expecting to find real gold instead of just chunks of golden corn?

jakedatc

Feb 12, 2008, 11:53 PM
Post #23 of 29 (4794 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:

DMT

Just letting them know.... that we know... :)

so shoulda been changed to CrankZone.com!!1111 Laugh

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...?post=680372;#680372

(This post was edited by jakedatc on Feb 13, 2008, 12:00 AM)

ddt

Feb 13, 2008, 3:51 AM
Post #24 of 29 (4765 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dingus wrote:

DMT

Hey now, that's unfair. You wanted a delete button (here), and we gave it to you!

DDT

snoopy138

Feb 13, 2008, 7:19 AM
Post #25 of 29 (4747 views)
Shortcut

Re: [chossmonkey] General warning in regards to the bet crew etc. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

chossmonkey wrote:
reno wrote:
clausti wrote:

And yet you guys keep on keepin' on with the whole "BET" lumping BS.

well, you guys actually know brent_e. or, knew him, before he got taken by the succubus.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Rockclimbing.com : Suggestions & Feedback

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook