RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

Partner robdotcalm

Feb 12, 2008, 4:54 AM
Post #1 of 20 (1537 views)
Shortcut

Climbing help other sports?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A lot of the threads here deal with the issue of if and how other physical activities, e.g., gymnastics, weight lifting, swimming, can contribute to improved climbing ability.

Let’s consider the converse, Does climbing help in other sports? Let’s exclude general conditioning effects. That is, if one climbs rather than doing nothing at all there will be improvement in one’s physical condition. This is not what I’m asking about, but rather is there something specific about climbing that has aided you in another sport.

I pretty much grew on the American triad: baseball, football, and basketball. When I started climbing, I was still playing some softball and basketball, but they didn’t seem to relate to climbing. Perhaps climbing helped me a little in ballroom dancing in that learning to place the body on the rock is just a little like positioning the body properly when dancing. The connection was moderate at best.

Gratias et valete bene!
RobertusPunctumPacificus

Reaganchung

Feb 12, 2008, 5:03 AM
Post #2 of 20 (1532 views)
Shortcut

Re: [robdotcalm] Climbing help other sports? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climbing helps american gladiators. I know of 2 separate couples that use climbing as training for the show. however, i think the show is a joke. It is pretty hilarious though.

(This post was edited by Reaganchung on Feb 12, 2008, 5:04 AM)

aerili

Feb 12, 2008, 5:13 AM
Post #3 of 20 (1522 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The movement skills of climbing may not transfer directly to other sports, rob, but the fact is that any skilled movement activity reinforces kinesthetic awareness in a person--that is to say, the less physical stuff (any stuff) one does, the more you lose a finetuned sense of where your body is in space. Any sport or physical activity will not only assist people in retaining their kinesthetic awareness, but can also improve it.

Therefore, in that sense, climbing can improve your baseline coordination and balance in other sports. People think of this as "athletic ability"... They believe some people have better athletic ability than others, but mostly (as far as I learned) it is a function of earlier and greater quantities of skilled movement training--whatever form it may take.

(This post was edited by aerili on Feb 12, 2008, 5:16 AM)

miavzero

Feb 12, 2008, 5:24 AM
Post #4 of 20 (1509 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] Climbing help other sports? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I use climbing to train for campusing, pullups and fingerboarding.

wiki

Feb 12, 2008, 6:09 AM
Post #5 of 20 (1483 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing helps my golf. Being able to grip the club firmly but delicately without overgripping or anything like that Smile

It also helps with my swing, I think it might use the same muscles and some of the same movements. I am also very aware of my centre of balance - not always consciously though.

EPiCJAMES

Feb 12, 2008, 6:48 AM
Post #6 of 20 (1469 views)
Shortcut

Re: [wiki] Climbing help other sports? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

ya, i can see how that can be true. climbing has helped my grip on the club. funny tho, i don't golf... Sly

curt

Feb 12, 2008, 6:51 AM
Post #7 of 20 (1466 views)
Shortcut

Re: [EPiCJAMES] Climbing help other sports? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Golf and climbing often take place in truly beautiful surroundings. Other than that, I don't see much similarity.

Curt

scenque

Feb 12, 2008, 8:28 AM
Post #8 of 20 (1446 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I climb to strengthen my left pinky finger for Guitar Hero.

norushnomore

Feb 12, 2008, 11:00 AM
Post #9 of 20 (1429 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dude, it all depends on what type of climbing you do.

If you do sport climbing then you get better at other sports.
If you do trad climbing then you get better at golf, music, dancing and ... sex Blush

But wait, there is more, just click here:
http://www.rock-climbing-for-life.com/...f_rock_climbing.html

(This post was edited by norushnomore on Feb 12, 2008, 11:01 AM)

livinonasandbar

Feb 12, 2008, 11:09 AM
Post #10 of 20 (1425 views)
Shortcut

Re: [norushnomore] Climbing help other sports? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

But wait, there is more, just click here:
http://www.rock-climbing-for-life.com/...f_rock_climbing.html
That site's kinda gay, isn't it?

tigerlilly

Feb 12, 2008, 2:02 PM
Post #11 of 20 (1399 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been a road cyclist for almost 30 years, and a mountain biker for 10 years. I took up climbing just over a year ago, and even after all that time on a bike, I find I am more confident on my mountain bike than before. Maybe I have more awareness of where my body is in space, maybe my upper body is stronger, so I have better control, or maybe it's just that falling 3 feet to the ground off my mtn bike seems like so much less a risk than falling off a 100' cliff. Wink

Kathy

(This post was edited by tigerlilly on Feb 12, 2008, 2:02 PM)

Partner j_ung

Feb 12, 2008, 2:11 PM
Post #12 of 20 (1394 views)
Shortcut

Re: [aerili] Climbing help other sports? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

aerili wrote:
The movement skills of climbing may not transfer directly to other sports, rob, but the fact is that any skilled movement activity reinforces kinesthetic awareness in a person--that is to say, the less physical stuff (any stuff) one does, the more you lose a finetuned sense of where your body is in space. Any sport or physical activity will not only assist people in retaining their kinesthetic awareness, but can also improve it.

Therefore, in that sense, climbing can improve your baseline coordination and balance in other sports. People think of this as "athletic ability"... They believe some people have better athletic ability than others, but mostly (as far as I learned) it is a function of earlier and greater quantities of skilled movement training--whatever form it may take.

I absolutely agree with this. And I'll add that climbing, more than any other activity, helps my headspace, which translates to pretty much everything.

boadman

Feb 12, 2008, 8:30 PM
Post #13 of 20 (1327 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I played soccer in highschool and on my college team. When I graduated from highschool, I was 170 and 6' tall. Even though I had huge legs, my upper body was pretty scrawny. After I started rock-climbing and my upper-body got stronger/bigger, I actually picked up a step or two on some of the quicker guys on the team. I don't know if it was just balance, or growing into my body, or what. Looking at olympic sprinters though, they're usually pretty massive up-top.

robdotcalm wrote:
A lot of the threads here deal with the issue of if and how other physical activities, e.g., gymnastics, weight lifting, swimming, can contribute to improved climbing ability.

Let’s consider the converse, Does climbing help in other sports? Let’s exclude general conditioning effects. That is, if one climbs rather than doing nothing at all there will be improvement in one’s physical condition. This is not what I’m asking about, but rather is there something specific about climbing that has aided you in another sport.

I pretty much grew on the American triad: baseball, football, and basketball. When I started climbing, I was still playing some softball and basketball, but they didn’t seem to relate to climbing. Perhaps climbing helped me a little in ballroom dancing in that learning to place the body on the rock is just a little like positioning the body properly when dancing. The connection was moderate at best.

Gratias et valete bene!
RobertusPunctumPacificus

sburns4

Feb 12, 2008, 8:39 PM
Post #14 of 20 (1319 views)
Shortcut

Re: [boadman] Climbing help other sports? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Climbing has helped me in my other low key but awesome sport...ultimate. Throwing requires a lot of wrist power and shoulder stregth that i have gotten from climbing. Also catching a disc is a lot easier if you have the climber vice grip.

byran

Feb 13, 2008, 12:04 AM
Post #15 of 20 (1277 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to do some sailing, and the tough hands probably help a little for gripping lines. A lot of people wear gloves for races where you're pulling in lines fast, but I never had any problems with rope burns. There's also a few knots that are shared between climbing and sailing, knowing how to coil ropes helps too. And occasionally someone will need to climb the mast to retrieve a halyard.

wiki

Feb 13, 2008, 4:01 AM
Post #16 of 20 (1246 views)
Shortcut

Re: [curt] Climbing help other sports? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

curt wrote:
Golf and climbing often take place in truly beautiful surroundings. Other than that, I don't see much similarity.

Curt

I never saw the similarity either until i started playing golf. For both of them you need flow, technique, body awareness and most importantly, you are only really doing it for yourself (compared to other sports where you are out to win Tongue) That's for me anyway, everyone gets something different out of it of course!

Oh, and I forgot to mention that golf helped my climbing... my body tension is twice as strong since I started golf!

Have I just lost any cred I might have had by admitting to playing golf?

gobennyjo

Feb 13, 2008, 4:30 AM
Post #17 of 20 (1231 views)
Shortcut

Re: [EPiCJAMES] Climbing help other sports? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Golf goes like wack.....Shit! Climbing goes Shit!.....wack.

werd7

Feb 15, 2008, 1:49 AM
Post #18 of 20 (1183 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I took up Brazilian Jiu Jitsu about a year ago. Because a lot of the moves require gripping your opponent's uniform, I quickly became known as the skinny white belt with the crazy grip. Climbing also helped because BJJ incorporates moves that have you heel hook and toe hook your opponents. Being a climber enabled me to always hold my own and sometimes beat guys who had 40+ lbs on me. I found the two sports complement each other nicely.

asheelliott

Feb 15, 2008, 8:25 PM
Post #19 of 20 (1147 views)
Shortcut

Re: [werd7] Climbing help other sports? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

the same reasons mentioned by werd7 for ju jitsu go for wrestling. bouldering definitely helped prepare me for wrestling in high school. both require intense focus, awareness of your center of gravity, endurance and certainly the finger strength. noone could get their wrist outta my clenched fist. wrestling (with a good coach anyhow) will get you strong arms and good core strength among other things. conversely, climbing makes for great off season training for wrestling. and a great opportunity to touch guys.

wait what??

wiki

Feb 18, 2008, 11:21 PM
Post #20 of 20 (1102 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gobennyjo] Climbing help other sports? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

gobennyjo wrote:
Golf goes like wack.....Shit! Climbing goes Shit!.....wack.

Hehe that reminds me... have we had a climbing jokes thread recently?

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook