Forums: Climbing Information: General:
Whats The Best Moutain Peak or Summit in or near Ohio that has the most scenic and awesome high view from the top??
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

abovethehorizon

Feb 14, 2008, 5:31 AM
Post #1 of 15 (1102 views)
Shortcut

Whats The Best Moutain Peak or Summit in or near Ohio that has the most scenic and awesome high view from the top??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,
I have a new school art/photography project and to ace it I need to find the highest most scenic view from a high mountain top or summit to climb. I have found a couple of huge hills near Chillicothe, but they are filled with trees at the top and that won't work. I need a peak or summit that is flat or rocky. I live in Ohio but would be willing to travel to a neighboring state if it's not too far and worth the trip.
Bascially what I need to find is a high mountian that
from the top makes it appear as if you are on the top of the world even if it isn't that hard to climb.
Even if it's a huge cliff or something where just one side has an incredible view overlooking the horizon that might work too.
Anyone have any ideas? Any advice or information would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance! Smile

redsox5945

Feb 14, 2008, 6:20 AM
Post #2 of 15 (1083 views)
Shortcut

Re: [abovethehorizon] Whats The Best Moutain Peak or Summit in or near Ohio that has the most scenic and awesome high view from the top?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

How far are you from Seneca Rocks?

abovethehorizon

Feb 14, 2008, 6:31 AM
Post #3 of 15 (1075 views)
Shortcut

Re: [redsox5945] Whats The Best Moutain Peak or Summit in or near Ohio that has the most scenic and awesome high view from the top?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi redsox! I'm not sure where Seneca Rocks is. I live just outside Columbus, OH.

redsox5945

Feb 14, 2008, 6:48 AM
Post #4 of 15 (1068 views)
Shortcut

Re: [abovethehorizon] Whats The Best Moutain Peak or Summit in or near Ohio that has the most scenic and awesome high view from the top?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Its in West Virginia. Check out its beta page on rc.com, it's a really interesting place and it's the highest class 5 east of the Mississippi (I think). The only problem is that it's a serious, multipitch climb that requires a higher degree of skill.

notapplicable

Feb 14, 2008, 1:31 PM
Post #5 of 15 (1031 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

abovethehorizon wrote:
Hi redsox! I'm not sure where Seneca Rocks is. I live just outside Columbus, OH.

Seneca is 5 hours west of you. The view is great and the north summit can be reached by a moderate hike. It would definitely meet you needs and has a great view, which is all the more rewarding after having climbed your way to it.

charley

Feb 14, 2008, 4:34 PM
Post #6 of 15 (1004 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Click on my username, that will take you to my profile, go to my photos, find the pic of me and hank on the north summit of seneca. That will give you an idea of the view. You can walk to near where the pic was taken. If it's scary stop at the visitors platform and take the pic from there.

Arrogant_Bastard

Feb 14, 2008, 5:21 PM
Post #7 of 15 (978 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

abovethehorizon wrote:
Hi,
Thanks in advance! Smile

Your long thread title is ruining rc.com

*DDT PMd*

abovethehorizon

Feb 14, 2008, 5:32 PM
Post #8 of 15 (969 views)
Shortcut

Re: [charley] Whats The Best Moutain Peak or Summit in or near Ohio that has the most scenic and awesome high view from the top?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you Charley! Great picture and great view! Any other places?

drfelatio

Feb 14, 2008, 5:55 PM
Post #9 of 15 (960 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are some nice top outs at the Red River Gorge in Kentucky (about 3-4 hours south of Columbus). They aren't as high up as Seneca, but the view from the tops of those ridges might be what you're looking for.

Here's a pic from "Bedtime for Bonzo" 5.6. The top is about 10-15 feet higher but you get the drift:

abovethehorizon

Feb 14, 2008, 6:18 PM
Post #10 of 15 (947 views)
Shortcut

Re: [drfelatio] Whats The Best Moutain Peak or Summit in or near Ohio that has the most scenic and awesome high view from the top?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you Dr. Felatio ! WOw that picture is amazing! You look like cliffhanger! Is it hard to get to the top of the Red River Gorge?

drfelatio

Feb 14, 2008, 6:37 PM
Post #11 of 15 (934 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First, that isn't me, but it is cool nonetheless!

Second, getting to the top of "Bonzo" is pretty easy climbing but it isn't like just walking up a hill. Someone should show you how to get up it.

WVUCLMBR

Feb 14, 2008, 7:33 PM
Post #12 of 15 (901 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

West By God Virginia....3 days in the Great State Of WV will leave you with some of the best pics of your life. Seneca definately should be the highlight of your trip. Depending on your skill level maybe hiring the guys @ Seneca Rocks Mountain Guides http://www.senecarocks.com/ would be a great idea. I think 1 day of guiding is like $200 and is definately worth it. Closer to you is Coopers Rock (outside Morgantown) which has some pretty impressive overlook/valley shots. Definately try and make it to WV....it's Vild AND Vunderbar!!!!

(This post was edited by WVUCLMBR on Feb 14, 2008, 7:34 PM)

abovethehorizon

Feb 15, 2008, 3:23 AM
Post #13 of 15 (870 views)
Shortcut

Re: [WVUCLMBR] Whats The Best Moutain Peak or Summit in or near Ohio that has the most scenic and awesome high view from the top?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks WVUCLMBR! I'm going to hocking hills next month and after that I hope to journey to West Virginia.

WVUCLMBR

Feb 15, 2008, 1:13 PM
Post #14 of 15 (844 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Cool man...well if ya wanna tour of Morgantown/Coopers rock just send me a message. BTW, the main gate @ Coopers doesn't open till late March/Early April sometimes. Good luck!

abovethehorizon

Feb 15, 2008, 11:44 PM
Post #15 of 15 (805 views)
Shortcut

Re: [WVUCLMBR] Whats The Best Moutain Peak or Summit in or near Ohio that has the most scenic and awesome high view from the top?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks! So Seneca Rocks and all Moutnain parkss are closed to the public until April?

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook