RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

thatclimberguy

Feb 17, 2008, 10:07 PM
Post #1 of 4 (2424 views)
Shortcut

re-using carabineers for climbing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

ok, soo i've heard that you shouldn't use the carabineers that are used for a highline again for climbing. I understand the logic behind it. I'm just curious if that means any carabineer used in the rigging, or just the ones that are used on the main line that are under the full force? Hopefully that made sense. In other words, can the carabineers that are attached to all the anchor points be used for climbing since they aren't under the full strain? thx.

Partner angry

Feb 17, 2008, 11:02 PM
Post #2 of 4 (2399 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thatclimberguy] re-using carabineers for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, I'm not a slackliner (well, I've got one in the backyard I fall off a few times a year) but I'm a little lost here.

So you use biners for a highline and it stresses them right? So you shouldn't reuse them for climbing right? Just like you shouldn't use ones you've pulled cars out of ditches with, right?

It all makes sense but you're dead if those biners in the slackline setup fail while slacklining. So if they have enough integrity to highline off of safely they have enough integrity to fall onto out climbing.

Unless you have a separate anchor point for the backup. That would be ideal, I'm not sure how common it is though.

Enlighten me.

Partner slacklinejoe

Feb 18, 2008, 2:23 AM
Post #3 of 4 (2351 views)
Shortcut

Re: [thatclimberguy] re-using carabineers for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

When refering to typical recreational carabiners (aluminum), any part of your system that was under a high static load should be dedicated gear. If it was just a hand tight backup, leash line or such then that peice hasn't seen a high static load. If however it was part of your equalized anchor then it should be dedicated.

Personally I'm an advocate of using steel carabiners or even shackles for highlines. It keeps stuff seperate and high tensile rescue grade steel carabiners could be re-used for normal use if needed.

thatclimberguy

Feb 18, 2008, 3:20 PM
Post #4 of 4 (2309 views)
Shortcut

Re: [slacklinejoe] re-using carabineers for climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the Advice! I'm a broke college student so i'm just trying to save some $$ wherever i can lol. I guess that shouldn't really matter when i'm talking about something that keeps me alive, but i was just curious, thx again.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook